[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

Hi there! I really love this project and I’m finding it incredibly useful and fun to play around with. But I’ve found a slight issue involving 2.5Gib network cards. The PRO2500.efi files go completely ignored by UBU and are not, in any way, referenced in the UBU.bat file. This means that attempted updates and even checks on the EFI result in the EFI being removed from the UEFI completely. There exists checks for 1Gib and 10Gib at least.
I would add the code to the batch file myself, but the complexity of the code is a little beyond my expertise. With newer boards coming with 2.5G chips onboard, I think it would benefit the project to at least add in checks for the files.

Thanks!

The issue is not new and it’s not an issue, it’s the result of a project not fully developed anymore, the author is aging, doesn’t have time for it and has more respect for the time left of his life.
The DXE driver can be updated with the UEFI tool.

EDIT:
No need to be sorry about anything, i’m just exposing the facts and yes, an updated branch was picked up from the original but not new code developed, only small adjustments and updated modules. For example, the drvver.c needs a revision on its code, the new releases of the Realtek PXE EFI are not correctly identified… etc.

I’m sorry, I had been of the impression that the project was picked up by Michael_Code.
Is it not official?

@D337z, no, only minor adjustments and updates of drivers and microcodes.

Hi Michael Code…

Is there a reason why you removed the UBU update?

@Fernando
I forgot as private mail. Now, I`m without translater. You known, first Russian, second English from 6 Year old. Gemarny problem.

@Michael_Code
Why do you need to translate any text to German?

Are you not able to use the good translater (e.g. the Google one)?
If you should be unsure with the English language, I can help you if you want. Just send me your text via PM.

@Fernando , I`m unsure in my English. you didn’t accept me. I can in English. I don’t know German at all, it’s your native language. Dieter, I’m sorry.

Which is the problem about German? This is a pure English language Forum and there is no need to write me anything in German language.
The current UBU Guide has been written by me, not by SoniX. If you don’t want to write a completely new Guide, you can tell me what should be changed and I will customize the Guide according to your wishes.

1 Like

Screenshot-14

Screenshot-13

@Michael_Code

Thank you very much for the UBU version.

I created the MCE myself with Py-Installer in an exe.
And replaced the DB r292 by plutomaniac.

Now I’m getting this error message!
The DB seems to be incompatible or not found.

What am I doing wrong?

@RoadrunnerDB

1. This MC Extractor error message has aleady been reported (look >here<) and Michael_Code knows about the problem…
  2. If you want, that a specific Forum member gets notified about your post, you should type the name correctly and set an @ in front of the name.

@Michael_Code

Why actually the MCE as EXE?

With a .py extension, meaning a Python file, there wouldn’t be any problems for sure.
After all, plutomaniac offers it as a Python file.

Turning it into a .exe is annoying, isn’t it?
Everyone can quickly install Python and be done with it.

@RoadrunnerDB, people ask for .EXE file, don’t want to mess with Python. Does publishing .EXE annoy you? Skip it. Pluto is not against publishing .EXE, otherwise he would have pointed this out to me long ago.

@Michael_Code

"I think you misunderstood me a bit.

Pluto doesn’t offer an EXE, right? So it needs to be created, and then offered here or somewhere else. But since he always offers the file as Python, it makes much more sense to set up your UBU version like that. Especially since it eliminates any problems!

Quickly installing Python and typing 2-3 commands (once) shouldn’t be a problem for anyone. And if someone has a problem with that, they should just stay away from the BIOS mode altogether."

The EXE was dropped in early days due to false malware detection, but a lot has changed in the MCE itself for UBU integration on old style Python, so the current and best way is using the EXE. Also the UBU code is no longer developed and it would need adaptation for new Python code and use of the MCE.db.

2 Likes

@RoadrunnerDB, It’s not for you to judge what and who needs it. The question is settled. I ask you to stop the discussion.

@RoadrunnerDB
Before you criticize something, you should inform yourself. Someone who doesn’t know much about the subject would be better off keeping quiet.
As MeatWar already has stated, the main reason for having replaced the MCE.exe by the slimmed MCE.py was the false malware detection of the *.exe by some antivirus tools.
For the UBU users it is much better to have the latest complete MCE.exe within the UBU package, because this way the Microcode update will be done without the need of any extra work.

@Fernando

I don’t know what problem you have now, I didn’t criticize, but rather suggested that it might be better to continue working with Python.

I’ve been using the UPU tool from the beginning, and I’ve known you for over 12 years now.
Back then on a German platform.
The UBU tool doesn’t have much to do with expertise, as it was written to make it easier to keep your motherboard BIOS up to date. But rest assured, I also know how to update a BIOS without UBU.

@Michael_Code

As I already wrote, I’m not criticizing, but rather making an observation!
But of course, I will comply with your request to end this discussion.

@MeatWar

I think you’re the only one who understood me. :wink:

@Michael_Code
Thank you very much for the updated UBU tool.
I have tested it with the latest BIOS X570P45.61 for my ASRock X570 Pro4 mainboard and it worked flawlessly. You have done a very good job! :+1: :+1: :+1:
To avoid any misunderstandings regarding the UBU version it may be a good idea to start with a new numbering (e.g. UBU v1.80.01).

@Fernando, nothing new. But, I will think… :grinning: May be, you right.