(A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed - HP EliteDesk 800 65W G2 Desktop Mini PC

- Please edit your posts while you wait for someone to reply, don’t post consecutively
Sorry, not possible remove posts. No button delete…

- Now, FDO is definitely what you want and it should work by itself
If the jumper in the FDO or FDO+PSWD position of the PC does not start…

- meaning E1 at [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing.
thanks, I’ll try

using method: Unlock Methods for SPI Servicing

Shutdown the system completely (S5 power state)
Locate the two HDA pins and start shorting them
Keep shorting the pins and power on the system
Once the BIOS/OS starts to load, stop shorting
The Flash Descriptor should now be unlocked

when closing the pin computer just does not want to turn on …
Symptoms are the same as with a jumper

alc221_.jpg

alc221.png

IMG_20180926_161202.jpg

What do you mean when you say that the system does not turn on? Does it turn on but does not output something, does it turn on for a second and then turn off immediately or does it do absolutely nothing?

does it turn on for a second and then turn off immediately…

in jumper or pinmod

sorry for the wrong explanation
I mean:
not start - not POST initialized
not boot - not start OS

I don’t understand why this is happening, it is the first time I’ve encountered such behavior. You can try E5 and E6 from [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing, otherwise the only solution would be to use a hardware programmer (E7) which would require desoldering and soldering the SPI chip back.

I understand you, I’ll try E5 and E6

CH341A flash programmer can be used on this system without desolder/solder the BIOS chip. You need to order SOIC8 test clip with cable as well, to use with the CH341A flash programmer.

Hopefully you can get it via E6 method, I’m not sure why FDO jumper causes no POST, it should work! How long does the system stay running when you try that, listen or look at the fans? If it stays running, then maybe it’s a graphics setting issue? Try it with the FDO jumper on there again, but try all other graphics options to connect to your monitor.
I mean if you are using HDMI now, try also with monitor connected to VGA, then it nothing on screen try with DVI, etc. Also, be sure to try the onboard motherboard graphic options out the rear too, if you are now using some PCIE card rear ports for graphics

1 Like

- How long does the system stay running when you try that, listen or look at the fans?
Yes i’m look at fans.
he is It starts spinning and stops in 2-3 seconds.
This behavior is also observed when we used metod “E1” "Pinmod"

NO beep, no POST…

That’s not normal behavior for this feature You will have to order Ch341A flash programmer and SOIC8 test clip with cable, or a kit like EZP2010 or EZP2013 that comes with test clip cable already (First two things I mentioned will be cheapest option $2.50+3.00)

Or wait for another reply from plutomaniac about E1 option, maybe you did that wrong? I think it should always work when done properly?

I said at post #25 that I don’t know why FDO does not work, nothing else to suggest on that end. So now it is either E5 or E6. And if they don’t help, you must get a programmer to get the job done. Sometimes desoldering and soldering is needed due to current (Amp) limitations on those cheap CH341A boards.

I agree plutomaniac, I’ve never seen it cause this reaction either, even with broken ME region. I’ve not seen that too often, and last I remember having it happen, leaving power on in the board level helped us get it dumped and reflashed.
Hopefully he does not have a board that causes the need to desolder! And yes, sorry I meant to wait for you on more info on maybe if he did E1 wrong, other

I checked the setup module, this BIOS does have BIOS SureStart w/ bootblock recovery option too (Set to automatic), I can’t believe this is not auto recovering itself including the ME region, it must be older version BIOS SureStart that does not work as good as the other tower style HP 800 G2 I linked previously.
I can’t find any of the usual things there we could use for E6 method, only related things I found were Lock BIOS Version, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x2 & BIOS Rollback Policy, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x0