ASRock X58 Extreme: Problems to update Intel RAID ROM

You obviously have misunderstood, what apavoncello1988 had written:

ASRock has modified the BIOS, but not the Intel RAID ROM. Please reread carefully, what Andrea aka apavoncello1988 had reported: She just replaced the original Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, which had been inserted by ASRock into the fully reconstructed mainboard BIOS, by the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, which had been modified before by CPL0 to enable the TRIM in RAID0 feature for Intel ICH10R systems.
Mainboard manufacturers like ASRock would never modify themseves an OROM module, which they have gotten from a chipset manufacturer like Intel.

EDIT: Unfortunately the Forum member mienrom later on has completely deleted the text of the quoted post.

I think Fernando is right and only the manufacturer can bypass the size problem with a new reconstructed BIOS. Here is how the two compare.

comp.png

We can see that the logo’s have been removed, which should have given more than enough free space. But that was not the case. First we have some minor modifications.

minor mod.png

I’ve added 21_0004_0.bin module to minor mods, even though it starts like this for the first C63 bytes. I think this is just the menu display.

21 comp.png

So we have 1B, 22 and 55 with important modifications, 08 with only a few bytes. This is how the 1B module looks when split into subcomponents, some heavily altered.

1B.png

Even if someone would spend weeks on trying to find where to patch, I don’t think they will succeed.

Perhaps when there’s no help in using the larger OROM then just have to settle for the smaller older trim enabled OROM.

Attached 10.1 OROM trim enabled.

10.1TMod.zip (48.4 KB)

This is a very good idea.
It will be very interesting to see, if the modded version of the old Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 really will let TRIM pass through the Intel RAID Controller into the RAID0 array. According to Intel only the much newer Intel RST(e) RAID ROM versions from v11 up are able to support the TRIM in RAID0 feature (just for Intel 7-Series and 8-Series chipset RAID systems).
Another question, which has not yet been answered, is, if TRIM in RAID0 will be enabled by the modded Intel RAID ROM independent of the running Intel RAID driver version. According to my knowledge the TRIM command cannot pass the RAID Controller unless it has been converted to an UNMAP command, which is not supported by Windows 7. That lets me think, that the presence of the SCSI filter driver iaStorF.sys will be needed for Win7 users.

As soon as I get the feedback, that TRIM in RAID0 works with this old and very small sized Intel RAID ROM, I will put the download link into the start post of >this< thread.

Update: Since there obviously is a demand for that modded OROM (look >here<), I have just published the link within the related thread. This way it will be easier for interested users to find it.

I have followed our colleague way and requested an updated BIOS with Intel RAID OROM v11.6 for my ASRock X58 Extreme3 motherboard.

Please find attached the origina" and the beta BIOS for inspection.

Thank you!

X58 Extreme3(2.80)ROM.zip (696 KB)

X58EX3_2.80b.zip (577 KB)

Whom do you mean? Who shall inspect the BIOS and regarding which details?

Anyone still have a copy of the 2.90 BIOS modded with the latest OROM? … the dropbox location is not functional… :frowning:

@88vt1100 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I am sorry, but I cannot help you.
The links to the special v2.90b and v2.90m BIOS files (original and modded), had been posted by apavoncello1988 in December 2013, but this Forum member has not been online since February 2014.
So if you want a BIOS for your mainboard, which allows you to insert any >100 KB sized Intel RAID ROM, you should contact the ASRock Support.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello, I am a newbie who wants to make my raid 0 work with Asrock X58 extreme and 2 Corsair Force LE. I tried to follow you in this thread but Im not 100% sure about what you mean.

Is it possible to get TRIM working or do I need to upgrade any software on my MB?

Thanks! Robin

@RobinJacobsson :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If you want to get TRIM activity within your SSD RAID0 array, you have to insert a TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel RAID ROM module into the BIOS of your mainboard. Natively only newer Intel Chipsets from 7-Series up do support the TRIM in RAID0 feature.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)