Asus H170 Pro BIOS recovery

These are the FD locks which control read/write access between the 5 SPI regions (FD, BIOS, ME, GbE, EC). They cannot restrict you when flashing with a programmer, only via software solutions. If you want to be able to reflash the entire SPI image via software instead of the programmer in the future, then you can remove the FD locks by altering offsets 0x80-0x90 with the following bytes:

00 FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Other than that, you can ignore these values at UEFITool if you are only interested in plain one-time recovery.

yeah

@plutomaniac , @Margus thank you,

I am not interested to modify the other parts except BIOS section but when the chip is erased by the programmer you are trying to say that the other regions (FD, ME, GbE, EC) are not erased being locked and it should work in this way?

The programmer can do whatever it wants, no restrictions. It will erase and write whatever you input it. These FD locks matter only when the system is operational to prevent unwanted read/write access. For example, if your FD is locked and you use Flash Programming Tool to relfash the GbE region, you will receive an error that the region is read/write protected. It’s a software security measure. The BIOS region itself is not locked by the FD. In your case though, you need to use a programmer because your system doesn’t even boot.

@plutomaniac I understand that but even if we are interested to write only the BIOS sequence, the "erase" command of the let’s say Ch341 Programmer software will erase the whole chip—am I right? I don’t think that exist an "erase specified section of the Bios chip" command.
Just to clarify: Or the other locked sequences will be re-written once we write the modified .bin image these sequences being also available but locked into the original site downloaded bios .cap file?

downloadable asus cap file not include MAC adress for network MB SN all these stored in GBE. Rest stuff included in cap file but users cant never flash normal way descriptor and rest stuff. If you want fully restore your chip you have to take cap file put your data in and and program chip voila all works.

ASus bioses not worth to edit you get maybe 500-1000 more points but its cause some other weird effects. I removed all my edits in bios and retuned to UBU updated cpu microcode and network stuff rest i left to default its no need i can easily get all out anyway 5 ghz even not problem.
I found even ME flashing is not always best probably 1000 points more and different oc settings more os reinstalls. To me everything works éven with default also by now, Sometimes vbios reflash can mess up descriptor also thats why bit played with it got all working checked this and this all works again.

but its always fun to learn what is it?
I wish good luck and hope all works properly.

You can buy DREAM PRO 3 and its solve your problem. Look aliexpress or ebay You can use it long time probably helps on next mobos also waht you buy future. Save friend laptop or friend messed up BIOS CHIP.

@Margus Sorry to continue, one thing is for sure I’m not so familiar with these and want to understand properly.
I understand that MAC and UUID should be copied, I fully understand that part.

Regarding the .bin exported file (from downloaded .cap) structure and the erase/write functions of the programmer:
Indeed I just want to restore the Bios Chip like it was when I bought the motherboard. I am not interested in modding but just want to understand, when you say If you want fully restore your chip you have to take cap file put your data in and and program chip voila all works I guess that u’re referring at the exported .bin file no other data;

- this file contain a) all SPI regions ? or b) only Bios region? or the rest of the data it’s about other steps that I should make (e.g. writing ME etc)? Here is my first concern. The second one is related to the next chapter of the previous scheme—if I use the programmer soft and hit erase/write function what will delete/write in which cases of the above described we are?

Could you be so kind and explain me following the earlier scheme please? I appreciate it

you get same file with fd44editor from cap what asus flash on factory if you copy paste numbers. There is no differnce HW keep its windows activation etc. Only you need fd44editor and backup from chip with usb programmer and usb programmer to reflash remade bios file from cap.

Good luck.

If fd44editor not detect ther mobo SN number or mac adre and uu code you have to use mobo stickers for that i restored to many ppl bioses from dead boards from bacup file i got always numbers out even if bios was corrupt

@Margus Danke schön, it’s all clear now :slight_smile:
One more question, I’ve found a programmer that supports W25Q128BV and I have W25Q128FVIQ will work?

Dreampro 3 is mutch more advanced its should read or wite all chps witch are W25Q128
BV or FVIQ have to read from datasheet so long if voltage range is same and programmer detect it as W25Q128 if not have change type manualy.

W25Q128 this mean
W is Winbond
25 is Socket package
Q is quad
128 is Mbits

I bought also optional 1.8v adapter to flash any kind eeproms even iphones so these specs have to read on net first what votlage range is in current chip.

Winbond W25Q128FVIQ
According to the manual, page 96, V=2.6 … 3.6V;

that is general use chip not low voltage its shold fine. ASUS use there FVIQ basicly its mean ID and other specs ID is written also in bios file if these IDs not match then NO POST
Original chip should work always.

I wish good luck on this.

@Margus , @plutomaniac
Hey guys, I’ve received from a friend a CH341A Programmer and reading again the above posts I’ve noticed in the plutomaniac advice to remove the AMI Capsule but in Margus’s video, this part is missing. Taking in consideration that I have the original chip and I am looking to restore the BIOS into the factory state, Is it really necessarily to remove the AMI Capsule? Thank you,

Yes, 100% necessary. You will brick it otherwise.

@plutomaniac
Thank you for your feed-back,
I hope you understand my concern; I am pretty new in this and I receive 2 opposite opinions. On the other hand Fernando said here:

Did you tested this on Asus Chips? As I’ve said, I am not interested in modding just to restore the Bios to the factory state.
Hope you don’t mind guys that I’ve made this discussion in such a long shape but I am interested to know the properly way to do this restore :slight_smile:

Did you tested this on Asus Chips?

Yes, but my statement was not valid for users, who are going to flash an original BIOS into a BIOS chip, whose content got already manipulated/corrupted.
So please follow plutomaniac’s advices. He knows much more about how to repair a currupted BIOS chip content than me.

Yea, I have the original BIOS chip that was bricked (so the content is not working anymore, the update process was blocked at 99% or something) and I am about to rewrite this chip using a version of the Bios file, downloaded from the Asus site. As I’ve said, I am not interested in modding.

Still, in this video made by @Margus for example he show us how to flash the bios without using the UEFITools.exe.

Digging deeper, I’ve found other conclusion on rog.asus forum that make sense somehow when we are talking about Original Bios chip, ID’s and restore using the programmer:

UEFITool is not needed if you are using FD44Editor, the UEFITool is only to remove the first 2KB the CAP files have to get to the core description(s) Gbe(Mac Address) / bios image, FD44Editor already does this for you.

In other words, I suppose that UEFITools will be necessarily when we are trying to use a new BIOS chip that obviously will have different ID’s and stuff than the original bios chip.
If @plutomaniac have a different argue will be nice to find it in order to know what is the properly way to do a regular Bios restore in the above mentioned conditions.

Also, I’ve found here an article made by @CodeRush that confirm the Margus technique shown in the above mentioned video.

9. Recovering from unbootable BIOS using FD44Editor and hardware SPI-flash programmer
Because of lack of descriptor and ME reflashing option in USB BIOS Flashback on modern boards, you must use hardware SPI-programmer to recover the BIOS, that is unable to boot at all.
You can use any programmer that supports your board, even another board with same BIOS size and unlocked BIOS regions (i.e using hot swap of BIOS chips).
1. Make a dump of current BIOS chip and open it in FD44Editor. If there is no errors and all the data are present - excellent. If not - use information in section 7 to restore data from stickers.
2. Save the data to the latest BIOS file downloaded from asus.com.
3. Write that modified file to BIOS chip as is. If you are using hot swap, power the PC off right after the end of writing.

I really don’t want to bother in any way, this subject it’s pretty interesting on other forums too, because it looks like the unsuccessful bios update it’s not so uncommon :slight_smile:
I appreciate it,

FD44EDITOR have to use to keep windows activation and network MAC adre othewise gbe is empty but system does post without data also. Since new asus boards have allmost impossible todo hotswap without mod a working chip data because FPT is blocked due security. You need full host acsess. Easyest way is use chip programmer instead messing too mutch.

To copy gbe from failed bios file with FPT can result unlimited loop or other issues if later you figure out. But you need allready modded bios in chip witch have enabled all host writes.

With chip procrammer you get file from chip so good luck with that i hope fd44editor can get data from gbe and yo can do copy paste to cap file without mutch efforts.

Since today i not figured out how its falied to flash 99% because bios recovers itself if failed usb flashback never fail to flash what ever i send to it same is ezflash its allmost fail free and its not flash if something wrong. Problems starting if users mess too mutch with FPT or ME
1 more thing are you sure you not have cutted off tracks on motherboard this can happen if installing videocard. Because bits not go by default wrong that mean something caused that.

Short version, I’ve managed and I am getting back in Windows.
I’ve followed the Margus’s video, without removing the AMI capsule, and everything is looking fine until now.

I don’t want to say that plutomaniac or Fernando was wrong, what they said could apply on other cases (e.g, other Bios chip than the original, etc).
Anyway, I am thanking you all for your interest and support.

hi @JJ1 , apologies as you did with the Ch341a programmer for Winbond W25Q128FVIQ, I have the same problem as you had. what program did you use and which chip did you select?