[Problems with] ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming BIOS

have to manually update MEupdate by doing
FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME.bin??

OK, if there’s no such firmware folder. The inf- file is a standard placeholder for system firmware (amd64 is the platform name)

Driver either from Asus:

or that one:

Yes, that would be the syntax and the Asus updater is actually doing exactly that. But it’s FWUpdLcl64 that needs the driver anyway! And you’d have to run the command in a cmd windows as administrator.

why do I always end up with the same version of ME even after the update?

I have a small cms resistor located in front of the 8b chip which is unsoldered because of my ch431A clamp, maybe that’s the problem?
I will have to reposition it but it is terribly small.

Did you reboot?
If it’s still the same version after a reboot run the FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME.bin command in an admin cmd window and take a picture of the output.

yes still the same version after reboot, I will try by manual command in administrator mode

it’s serious?it’s serious?
Does that mean I can’t update?

Well, there could be an error in the rebuilt ME or it’s a surrogate message since the removed resistor has to do with the flashing.

Please run the MEInfo and MEManuf commands on the old version and post the results.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll do that tonight and let you know.

thank you anyway for what you do.
it is by dint of perception that we arrive at what we want.

sorry but I can’t find Meinfo and MeManuf.
Where are they?

??

I have version 14.0.11

yes it is indeed the version which was registered in me analyzer when I extracted the 8mb chip at the very beginning.
I then used CSME system tool 14.0.11 to rebuild the file with CSME 14.1 repository r9 (14.1.51.1528_con_H_A_PDR_EXTR.bin)

But I never used CSME system tool 14.0.20.

I also don’t have MEInfo and MEManuf .

Where can I find them.

do you have a link?

How often shall I post this?

the problem being that I can’t find the download page on the INTEL site concerning csme tools…

What’s in the way to simply use the link- first post a little down leads to a mega.nz storage?

sorry but i didn’t think the download was in it

Not good. might have happened when bios- region wasn’t properly flashed and booting stopped or ME region in the 8 MB image wasn’t properly prepared becaus of manually inserting PHY.

Please try to dump the firmware, either by
\Intel CSME System Tools v14.0.20+ r20\Flash Programming Tool\WIN64\FPTW64.exe -d spi.bin

or (if this gives you an error) by dumping the different regions:

FPTW64.exe -bios -d biosregion.bin
FPTW64.exe -ME -d MEregion.bin
FPTW64.exe -DESC -d FD.bin

Please attach the results!