Asus strix b660-i itx, bios unlock, FPT Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS

Hello,
I updated my pc, from Evga z270 itx to Asus b660-i itx motherboard. In my old z270 motherboard everything whas easy because everything in bios was unlocked (fd, me etc), and could do everything I want.
Now in my Asus b660 everything is locked (except main bios region). I dont mind so much but I want to unlock bios so I can flash a new splash screen (I have done it with my old motherboard).

I made a bios dump with FPT (fptw64 -d mod.rom -bios), I modded it and I tried to flash back
(fptw64 -f mod.rom -bios). I got Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS.

After reading this guide, I found bios lock in setup 0x1D and i disabled it.
Also found FPRR but was already disabled. Tried again, still same error.
I suspect that BIOS Guard is the problem but I can’t find it.
I also read this similar guide but that was easier finding BIOS Guard.
I run out of ideas. I include my bios dump.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: @Lost_N_BIOS used to search for all kind of locks inside bios. But he haven’t posted since 2021…
He is literally Lost… :joy: :joy: :joy:

bios.zip (7.0 MB)

I have done some progress!
Long story short, I found where bios chip is located and I used ch341a programmer to make a full SPI dump. I modded the dump and I reflashed the bios, and voila!
All bios regions are unlocked! :grin:

UNLOCKED BIOS

But even with that, I still get the same error:

FPT ERROR

Because its not practical every time I want to update bios, to disassembly pc and motherboard, use programmer, and then assembly again,
my final goal is to download every new bios, modd it, and then flash it using FPT.
I appreciate every help

Also, because now I know that I can recover bios with programmer, I can be more aggressive when I experiment with bios.

@plutomaniac if I rebuild whole bios with FIT (and change some settings), maybe bios error will go away?

Good job, have you disabled BIOS Guard? It is enabled by default in your BIOS

@553349149
Thank you for your answer.
No I haven’t disabled it. Can you guide me to the right direction?

it’s here。。In other lockless b660s it is disabled.

One Of: Enable Tools Interface, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x111, VarStore: 0x2, QuestionId: 0x472, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 95 06 96 06 72 04 02 00 11 01 10 10 00 01 00}
0x66150 			One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 07 04 00 00 00 00}
0x66157 			One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default) {09 07 03 00 30 00 01}

@553349149
Perfect! I have seen this setting before, but I didn’t knew that it was bios guard related, and I didn’t change it.
I am not at home atm. I will try it as soon I go home!

@553349149
Just tried. Still same error :disappointed:
It was already disabled (0x0).
I changed to enabled (0x1) and then disabled again (0x0), just in case, but I get same error.
I also did a greset

Thanks for testing, it seems it’s not critical,

@553349149
ok , this is a full(all regions) dump of bios as it is now
fullbios.zip (8.9 MB)