Bad embedded controller flash Lenovo Thinkcentre M93p

thanks
i have ordered the programmer.
Should i burn the FBCT13A from itsupport?

or should i burn the whole new bios without the EC firmware?
thanks

i mean isn’t we got two files from the bios update pack?

One the EC file, and one bios rom.

So now i located the MX25L8006E chip, should i burn the EC or both EC and BIOS?

thanks

okay,
i bought the programmer with sop8 clip.
the clip doesn’t seems to recognzie the chip. so i desolder the MX25L8006E.
Works well and read out the dump is the same as FBCT32A.bin.

So i programmed the FBCT13A firmware from @itsupport
Thanks so much.
soldered back the board and it started to beep. but not booting. (no beeping sound before)
So i insert the CD of latest bios file and try the pin 2-3 recovery mode.
The beep repeats and still no hope.(no post)

so i think maybe it is the problem of not connecting all connectors. As this is not a diy one but from lenovo. (i just connected the ATX power and 12v cpu power)
then i connect whatever it got, Bingo~ System boots.
And i surprisingly found the BIOS is on the latest one, i think the bios recovery was done without post.
But it also makes me cannot confirm is it just flashing the EC files will make the pc works or we need to recover the bios with recovery mode also.

Still the PC works again with latest bios FBKTD5A and FBCT13A EC firmware.
will stick to it and not flashing it again!

Thanks @Lost_N_BIOS and @itsupport

You only need to find correct software version, or connect it properly, then it would have recognized the chip. Sometimes Battery or main power must be connected to the board too, other times it must be removed, need to try both ways sometimes.

Anyway, sorry I missed helping on this, but I’m glad you finally got the system back up and running again @nikkotwh

Bricked my M93P after updating EC firmware manually a couple days ago…
Guys, i don’t know which programmer are you using, but after programming your dump on my Sofitech SP-16B, got same dead mainboard.

Luckily, searched other forums and found correct FBCT13A EC dump that powered on my machine back to life. The dump file that was posted above is filled with 00 after adress 1FFFF.
My PC denied to turn on with it. There should be all FF instead. Tried twice to confirm.
Attached the correct EC dump here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…523377443475662

hello:
I used the usb bios updater for flashing with fbjtdbusa.zip,and I have a blank black screen too.
I used the CH341A to flashing mx25l6473e and mx25l3273e with NVRAM-Swap-In-FBKTD4AUS.7z(you shared),System boots,but the bios can’t open the csm and loose my MTM serial, UUID ,EC version!(FBCT32A)
)
Now how can i do now?I have USB flash disk and ssd ,no CD.

@bloodgcat - You can’t program in zip file, I hope you mean you extracted it first.
Sounds like you flashed wrong thing into EC BIOS chip (smallest one), flash in proper EC FW from above, and then to fix serial UUID etc, you have to give me your originally dumped BIOS from the chip before you erased and wrote to it, if you did not make a backup dump then we cannot fix.

Sorry, I don’t know what you mean by “BIOS Can’t open CSM”?

I extracted the ZIP,run wflash2.exe IMAGEFB.ROM.I think it only flashed main BIOS.not EC BIOS.
I don’t make a backup…,but i have SN and MTM on m93p shell。
The BIOS,if I open the CSM,save and exit,the screen will be black.
But if I don’t open the CMS,the Boot menu only have USB key:sandisk xxx FAT mode in uefi. I try to make fa32 or ntfs boot disk,but can‘t running.
Could you help me?

Posting here as the problem is extremely similar (if not the same), please let me know if it is more appropriate to open a new thread.

Situation: HW: Lenovo M93p SFF; bricked BIOS stuck at Lenovo logo. Probable cause (haven’t been flashing anything for months now): Using a thunderbolt 2 cable instead of DP one in the dedicated GPU (nVidia Quadro NVS 510).

Tried disconnect-all-drives/cards, jumper 2-3 method: double short beep, screen comes up and then keeps stuck with “BIOS is recoverying…” on the bottom left of screen (yes, that’s mispelled, but that’s the way it is). If I put a key without the ROM files the behavior is different so I assume the procedure is good.

the integrated Ethernet card’s link goes up but doesn’t ask for an IP (usual behavior with vPro as in my case, so system unreachable for remote management).

I have a flash programmer but:
1. still unable to identify where the chip is
2. if/when I find it, don’t know what to flash on it

Any suggestion? Thanks!

where exactly do you flash the fbct13a on to the MX25L8006E chip? I bricked my machine and used my tl-866 pro to program back the bios with the imageFB.rom file and the system boots, but i dont see where i can flash the fbct13a, is there a particular offset you load it into and combine it with the imagefb.rom file?

This is on a thinkstation e32 with a fbc13a firmware.

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT A WORKAROUND!!! But it is tricky to do!

So if you feed spiw0323.exe the fbct32a.bin file, it will obviously flash, but will lock up the system. However, if you are quick, you can run spiw0323.exe and update to fbct32a.bin and it will begin to erase. RIGHT after the erase is done, and it says ‘checking’ you can cntrl-c and break out of the flashing program.

Then you can just run the FBCT13A.bin update and since the EC firmware is blank, it’ll happily flash it

so the commands I ran were

Spiw0323.exe fbct32a.bin /V 29A

as soon as it says ‘checking’ ctrl-c out and go back to prompt

then run

SPIW0323.exe FBC13A.bin /V 29A and it will flash. As soon as I did this, my sleep started working normally and my computer no longer hangs when booting

I have a thinkcenter e32 motherboard.

I got the same problem, bricked my system. Turn on computer, CPU fan running, but no beeps, no display.

My computer is ThinkCentre M8500t-n000, the motherboard is IS8XM, bios version FBKT56AUS, ThinkCentre Embedded Controller -[FBCT13A-1.13]
. I’ve read from the Lenovo forum that it can use bios for m93p, so I download and update the latest bios from " support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds035753 ", but in windows 10, there is an “invalid device descriptor”.

I googled and found "forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/M93p-Tiny-BIOS-FBKTD2A-is-broken-bad-BIOS-update-on-website/td-p/4281617 ", It said that bios must be update incrementally upgrade some major milestone releases, including:74,c4,d2.
I used the USB bios updater for flashing with fbjt74usa.zip, when running “SPI032 FBCT29A.bin” step, at the verifying stage, the computer freezes, I tried bios recovery, clear CMOS, but no one worked.

I found there are 3 chips on MB: mx25l6473e, mx25l3273e, 25q808vsig, I don’t know which one is the bios chip.
I have another m8500t, I dump bios with “fptw64 -bios -d binreg.bin”, It shows
----flash devices found —
N25Q064 ID:0x20BA17 size: 8192KB (65536Kb)
N25Q032 ID:0x20BA16 size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

I ordered a cha341a programmer, but I never do that before, what steps should I do?

Sorry for my English, any words are appreciated.

There are lots of descriptions here in the forum, read [Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM

As you found out your 12 MB bios is distributed to 2 chips, 64Mbit and 32 Mbit. Search for the datasheets to find chip specs (voltage), backup the chips, make several reads, they all should be a 100% identical- you need a valid backup of the bricked bios.

I’ve read in this thread, looks like I should flash the FBC13A.bin, but I don’t know how to do that.
At #23, nikkotwh said:

The CH341A is still on the way, maybe I can try to read the 25q808vsig and compare it with FBCT29A that I flashed.

I can’t download FBCT13A.bin from the link posted at #23 and #25, Is there other links for FBCT13A.bin?

Thanks.

Avoid blindly flashing something to something, make valid backup of every chip before you flash it!

Avoid blindly flashing something to something, make valid backup of every chip before you flash it!

When I received the CH341, I will try.
This is the first time trying to program a bios chip, hope I can make it.

Thanks @lfb6.

I read the 25q80bvsig using ch341 and compare it with fbct29a.bin, result is:
"the files sizes are different, However, the beginning of the bigger file is identical with the content of the smaller file"

So, If I download the FBCT13A.bin and replace the content in the dumped file, and program it back will work?

I can’t download fbct13a.bin from the link posted at #18 by @itsupport and #23 by @eutechnyx , Can someone upload a fbct13a.bin?

Thanks!

I’m sorry, not the time to search for these files you mention myself now.You should have an idea what you’re doing when replacing content, without that you need a perfectly fine guide. Flashing with size mismatch is never a good thing!

EDIT: 1MB chip, 128 kB firmware, normally would explain this result, so you flashed EC firmware fbct29a.bin successfully.

So you’d need your own firmware 1,13, add some ‘FF’ at the end to make it a 1MByte file and flash it back. Easiest way would probably be to read the corresponding chip on your other system.

I have googled fbct13a.bin, but didn’t found.

Why not taking it from this machine?