BIOS Modding: Introduction and Preparations

Hello gentlemen,

My name is Darek I’m from Poland. I bought new m.2 SSD VIPER VPN100 PCIe and Internal PCI-E Adapter AXAGON PCEM2-D because I want to speed up my PC and install Win10 on it (as a bootable drive).
Before everything I knew I’ve got old motherboard and there wil be some issues but I found this board and thought I’m gonna do that, not a big deal. After all I spent almost week here read and read threads about BIOS modding and I stucked after extraction in CBROM_155. I’m not sure what to do next and from my side is better to ask than instead of that screw up something.

First of all I’d like to ask can You help me? If yes I try to describe shortly what I’ve got and what I’ve done.

1. My motherboard: GA-P67A-D3-B3. The latest BIOS revision is F7:

2. As I mentioned I used CBROM_155.

3. Based on huge board knowledge I deducted I should replace point 13 with “NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs” file.

4. I extracted “raidrst5.bin” but I’m not sure is it only this file or some other should be replace and should I change the name of file NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to “new” raidrst5.bin?
I’ll be grateful if someone can look on it and sorry if post is in inappropriate place.
If additional information will be needed please let me know.

Thank You in advance.

@dosdaros :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The answer to your questions is short and maybe hard for you: You will not be able to get an EFI BIOS module like the one named NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs working with any currently available BIOS for your specific mainboard.
Reason: All currently available BIOSes for the GA-P67A-D3-B3 are “pure” LEGACY ones without UEFI support.
Although your mainboard has an Intel 6-Series chipset, which is theoretically able to support UEFI, the Company Gigabyte hasn’t yet delivered an UEFI BIOS for the GA-P67A-D3-B3.
As you can read >here<, only mainboards with an AMI UEFI BIOS are qualified for getting full NVMe support by the insertion of an EFI NVMe module. Unfortunatel such BIOS doesn’t exist for your mainboard.
Only the Company Gigabyte is able to solve your problem by delivering an AMI UEFI BIOS for the GA-P67A-D3-B3.
By the way - LEGACY Option ROM modules and EFI “DXE Driver” modules like the NVMe ones are completely different and not compatible with each other. All Option ROM modules, which are within the BIOS F7, are LEGACY ones and cannot be replaced by any EFI module. If you would try it, the flashing of such modded BIOS may brick your mainboard. The inserted module would not work anyway.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Thank You for comprehensive answer but not that kind what I wanted to hear. Unfortunately. I guess I have few solutions at the moment - buy new motherboard or SSD drive.
Stay in good health.

Regards.

Darek.

is this also applicable for signed nsyde bioses?

@xraine :

If you should mean the start post of this thread, my answer is "Not really".
If you want to modify an InsideH2O BIOS, you should better look into >this< thread.

Guys i would like to know, with resizeable BAR on/off toggle bios update coming from manufacturers from some modern mobos, is it possible to mod it into older boards of the same manufacturer?

@pepeo
PDEP/PEXT is available all the way down to Haswell.

@thinking
Yes i was reading about it today and found about this, but the thing is, there is no bios options on older boards for resizable BAR, so i was wondering if its possible to implement it on a custom bios

@pepeo
This may have to be promoted by Intel and motherboard manufacturers as well as our DIYer.

RE: >> Resizeable BAR - I doubt it will be possible, due to it’s likely more than just module swap around and or BIOS settings addition (which you can’t simply “add” a new setting anyway)
So my answer to this would be No, not likely. It will have to be rolled out by manufacturers to be in compatible BIOS updates

@dosdaros - Are you sure you have Rev 1.0 board? Check bottom right corner of board, does it show 1.0 or 2.0?
If 2.0 then there is UEFI BIOS, if you have 1.0, and pickup flash programmer for recovery just in case brick, I will make you crossflash package to crossflash your 1.0 board to 2.0 and then you can use UEFI BIOS and NVME

Greeting
I have one question regarding bios
Is it possible to modify the bios from the Motherboard
Biostar a960d + v2
To boot m.2 ssd?

@dzonix :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If you should mean whether it it is possible to boot off an NVMe SSD with your system after having modified the BIOS, here is my answer: It depends on the BIOS. It has to be an AMI UEFI one. Unfortunately I couldn’t it verify myself, because Biostar just offers an Installer, but not the "pure" BIOS file.
>Here< is the related guide.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yes I’ve checked that and it is rev. 1.0. Thanks for help.

any news for resizable bar on older Intel Chipsets?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Request] NVMe modded ASUS H61M-PRO BIOS

A post was split to a new topic: [Request] NVMe modded ASUS H61M-PRO BIOS

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Request] NVMe modded ASUS H61M-PRO BIOS

A post was merged into an existing topic: How to extract contents of this Dell BIOS package?