[BIOS Modding Request] ASUS VivoBook S510UF/X510UF

Hello to all, I am newbie of this forum, but I did BIOS mods many years ago and now games changed a little bit, as I see.
I bought this new Asus VivoBook S15 S510UF, but I noticed that the BIOS is pretty restricted and I wish to have higher list of options of all kind.
The most important would be power management and battery maximum charge limit and settings for CPU settings (at this moment just undervolting params)

I’ve already read topic on ASUS VivoBook F510UA/X510UAR, but unfortunately I don’t think it is the same BIOS and there are no extra options

May ask you some support, while I search for a omnicomprensive guide?

Thanks

Here Notebook Model: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBo…specifications/
Here BIOS link: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBo…/HelpDesk_BIOS/

@Leeonard - Thanks for mentioning the other model X510UAR, I need to figure out unlock for that user too!
As you can see in that thread, the test files I sent him failed to unlock anything, so I needed time to find other method and look deeper in BIOS, which I hadn’t yet and thread got buried and I forgot, until you mentioned it now, thanks!

Looking at this BIOS again, I do think I know how to unlock now!

Do you have flash programmer (hardware, like CH341A and SOIC8 test clip cable)? It’s not necessary, but makes things easier and makes recovery possible too if things go badly.

Can you please send images of your BIOS, one image of each main section is all I need to see, zip them up and upload to any file host

* Edit @ Leeonard - Since these laptops do not have USB Flashback, modified BIOS will be flashed easiest via FPT, and for this I need a FPT backup first from you in order to keep all your board details in the BIOS (Serial, UUID, DTS Key etc)
Please check BIOS main page for ME FW version, or if not shown there download HWINFO64 and on the main large window, on the left side expand the motherboard section and find ME then look for ME Firmware Version.
Once you’ve found ME FW version, go to this thread in section “C” and download the ME System Tools package that matches your main ME FW version number
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Inside that package you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a windows or Win or Win32 folder, select that Win/Win32 folder and hold shift, then press right click and choose open command windows here (Not power shell)
Then type the following command, zip the created file and send to me for modification
FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Thank you, sorry for delay in replt

Actually I have an Intel ME version that is not provided in the list: is 11.8, Build 3510, Hot Fix 55

I will search for a updated ME Tool somewhere

Done, I PM you, thanks

@Leeonard - you need to download ME System Tools package V11 from section “C” in the thread I linked above, not any ME FW version 11.xx. Of course none of those FW listed match yours, those are all the latest FW versions and are not what we’re looking at in that thread, go to section “C” and download V11 ME System Tools package
Then follow what I said above in post #2

* Edit, seems you got it! Here is mod BIOS - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…862464164341320
Flash using this command >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosregm.bin

But, before you can flash you must unlock BIOS lock, here is my guide on doing that - [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash
You can start at step #6, because I have done what step #1-5 give you below (This already done inside this BIOS, so next time you wont need to unlock, but if not done again then following that it will be locked once more)
Your BIOS Lock variable to use it >>0x960
You rename your .efi file to >> Shell.efi

So at grub prompt you will type the following >> setup_var 0x960 0x0

you’re a pro! I was following your procedure, but I have troubles with Asus Bios because it doesn’t allow to edit secure boot options anywhere (they are not listed). I am searching an alternative way to do it

Read my guide carefully, follow the example links of how to adjust the BIOS settings, when you don’t have secure boot option you set different thing (Windows OS type to Other = same)
Or, I see Secure Boot option in your BIOS anyway, it’s on “Security Page” at bottom. And it’s disabled by default anyway, so move onto next step

You shouldn’t RMA over a simple freeze one, this happens often with PC’s, unless it’s doing it all the time, then maybe RMA after you’ve already confirmed via Memtest86+ for 8+ hours that it’s not the memory

I read the guide in detail, also the links. Now that you say that there is no Secure Boot I will test as soon as possible the flashing if it’s working
for reference these are the photos sent via PM (https://imgur.com/a/8CZyZn4)

for RMA, I could use this laptop for one month (from 10th of January) and I had random errors, starting from sudden freezes (more than 12) to hard drive 100% use even on low RAM use or idle condition (removing and using Intel AHCI drivers /Rapid store technology and other test). After the BIOS freeze I got nuts and decided to sent it t a check prior to destroy the warranty with BIOS mod and few hardware pieces I bought (new RAM, HyperX, and SSD)
I will try use memtest as your suggestion, now! And update on everything

I said I see secure boot in your BIOS, at the bottom of security page, but it’s disabled by default, so even if it’s invisible to you (You can’t see on bottom of security page), then it’s OK since it’s disabled by default and you can move on in the guide

Hard drive 100% is virus, programs, drivers, something running on a add/video etc, same for freezing that could be due to any of that, or ram or other OS errors, all not something you really RMA for either since they wont solve that kind of thing.
But it’s up to you if you want to waste your time with that, they will tell you no faults found and maybe clean install the operating system for you, that would fix issues like I mentioned until you reinstalled the issue driver or app etc.

Hello! Sorry for delay, actually the RMA found (I dunno if it is true) a failing motherboard, so they changed it.

Now I’ve a new version of Intel ME: 11.8, Build 3425, Hot Fix 50

Here is new BIOS flash! https://we.tl/t-3xx5XJG9Ml

@Leeonard - so they found some problem, other than messed up BIOS

So, what is above file, a FPT dump? If yes, do you want unlocked?

Yes is a FTP dump using your procedure, if you please can unlock it would be great! I thought new mobo stores some new info, for this reason I redumped it

@Leeonard - thanks for clarifications, I will unlock for you shortly. Go ahead and unlock BIOS lock, all still same as what I gave you in post #5

*Edit @Leeonard - here is new mod, new backup was same BIOS version as other one, so I just pulled the modified modules and put in your new backup.
And yes, I compared their unmodified modules to each other too before doing that, all same/same - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…139557668386053

@Lost_N_BIOS I followed the procedure of your guide, actually I am unable to boot USB with Shell.efi file

I have one USB FAT32 with the renamed Shell.efi file, the System VOlume Information folder and selected form BIOS to boot it.

I did a try with: Launch EFI Shell from filesystem (there is no USB option)
I did a try with: Boot menu
I did try with: creating a new boot options pointing specifically to Shell.efi file
I did try with: using an USB pen that was woking with memtest86

There is other thing I may need to do?

Am I forgetting something? Maybe I need

Since you have “launch EFI shell from file system” This should be no problem, it’s designed to work. No boot menu, not made bootable DOS/etc USB, no trying to manually boot from USB.
Try a clean format to FAT32, another USB Port maybe? Shell.efi needs to go on root of USB plain USB. You do have to disable secure boot as mentioned in the guide, check it again in case you missed something (start at step #6)

If you continue to have issues, you can try this method, which should definitely not be required for your system since it’s designed and setup to boot to this the way I’ve described above and in guide.
[Help needed] Hidden Advanced menu Bios HP Z1 J52_0274.BIN (2)

Hello!
I found that moving USB to another port made it working.

I followed instructions, wrote on grub the following setup_var 0x960 0x0 and the process went fine even with some warnings
then I went to windows and, using CMD administrative privileges, I wrote down FPTW.exe -bios -f biosregM.bin, the process went going on. FPTW said GbE region does no exist
, and the feedback was 100% written (with a "data is identical…" output)

Now I cannot enter my BIOS, is completely BLANK :smiley:
what can I do? I cannot go back using FPTW because I cannot access neither basical BIOS menu for boot

PC works

@Leeonard - You can boot to windows, or DOS Correct? If yes, FPT can be used from either of those places. Flash back your original FPT dump for now >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

I will look at BIOS again. I read back in the thread, and see/remembered you RMA’d the board, but it’s not clear if you flashed a mod I sent you before too and it was bad BIOS or not?
Did you use a previous BIOS I sent and it didn’t work too? If yes, I think I forgot that and sent you same BIOS region copied back into your new dump, from what I read myself saying a few posts back.
Anyway, I will look at the BIOS again and see if I can see the issue

Hello! Actually I flashed the newest BIOS you sent me. My motherboard changed after the RMA and you was aware of it in fact you wrote down that it was all the same.

I think I need to find a way to enter grub mode and flash a correct BIOS

Thank you!

Yes, I know you flashed newest BIOS I sent, I was asking if “before/previously” Did you also flash a BIOS I sent you, and it failed, before you RMA’d, or not?

I think I tried to add too much/not enough room in modules coding at certain areas where the menus are controlled. I will redo, and plan to not try to enable second boot menu, but now I see there is only room to add one new menu entry.
So, I can add second advanced, or chipset, or switch original advanced with new advanced and add chipset. Which do you prefer?

You can’t flash BIOS from grub, but if you can boot to grub then you can boot to DOS too. Can you not boot to windows? If you can’t boot to windows, then boot to DOS.
Make a DOS Bootable USB and copy all contents from Intel FPT DOS Folder to root of USB + Original FPT BIOS region dump from this new board, then reflash from DOS >> FPT.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
Here’s how to make a bootable USB if you aren’t sure - Follow steps 1-4 to create bootable USB
<Request> Flagship X470 Gaming 7 Wifi Motherboard BIOS Fix

Okay then! I will try!
Concerning your question, I am not sure about the difference between standard and new advanced, but I would prefer to have new advanced and chipset (great would be something related to battery management, because I don’t do nothing more than undervolting on chipset)

Thanks