Boot from NVMe (SM951) on a Supermicro Server Board X10DRi-T (Intel C612 Chipset)

@SnowDigger :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which "device list" within which environment (OS/BIOS) do you mean?
If it should be the list of the bootable devices within the BIOS or shown within the Boot Manager: The name of the SSD is never shown there, if you are trying to boot in UEFI mode. All you may see is the name "Windows Boot Manager". Nevertheless the SSD may be bootable.

Contrary to nearly all other NVMe SSDs the Samsung 950 Pro has an NVMe Option ROM in the box. That is why you can boot off that SSD in LEGACY mode.
Generally you need a suitable NVMe EFI module within the mainboard BIOS, if you want to be able to boot off an NVMe SSD in UEFI mode.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the great info on the Samsung 950 Pro. That explains a lot.
And yes, I was referring to the list of the bootable devices within the BIOS.
Do you know of other NVMe’s which have that “NVMe Option ROM in the box” ?

No, it seems to be the only one with option-ROM. It seems that it is detected as AHCI-drive in BIOS, after loading OS working in NVMe-mode.
I have this SSD too and it isn’t shown as PCIe-SSD in BIOS/UEFI.
Or you opt with an older AHCI-PCIe-SSD, but hard to find in new condition.

Tried the 960 Pro on my X10DAi and no worky… funny thing is the only way to get a BIOS update from Supermicro is that they make a custom BIOS for this board. They wanted to charge me up to $2000 US… They explained that due to this SSD NVMe being a "consumer" ssd, this is not priority for next BIOS release.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

Marcusb, I believe I happened across your blog in which you got your board to work with the 960 EVO. I’m in the same situation and have just recently submitted a ticket to Supermicro. I believe this is your blog https://majzel.blogspot.com/2017/01/supermicro-support.html. However, you failed to mention what settings you used to get it to show up after installing the OS. Which BIOS version are using and what settings? Thanks.

Hi, I have Supermicro X9DAi and I recommend test multiple PCIe slots and tweak Maximum Payload Size/Read Request and also enable PCIe bifurcation.

My configuration:
- PCIe #1 @16 mode = poor perforrmance (sequential write accidentally drops to 100 MB/s)
- PCIe #1 @bifurcation x4x4x4x4 or x4x4x8 or x8x8 mode = drive not detect at all
- PCIe #3 @16 mode = poor perforrmance (sequential write accidentally drops to 100 MB/s)
- PCIe #3 @bifurcation x4x4x4x4 or x4x4x8 mode = good performance

I think this is caused by poor layout optimization. I never saw Supermicro motherboard which was fasted than Asus or Intel. Shame on Supermicro engineers. :slight_smile:

Hi JanCerny,

It might sound like a dumb question, but (physically) what do you call the PCIe #3 ? Do you refer to the slot4 on the motherboard ?

board.jpg

i’m asking the question because i have the same motherboard and i just bought a Nvme EVO 970 mounted on a Startech PCIe card and i’m trying to install Windows10 on it,
I can’t figure how to configure the damn thing. When i try to install from the USB Stick, Windows 10 sees the Nvme, but it just does the first step which is the copying of the file, when it restart, it won’t continue the process ??

i’m kinda lost, i would appreciate if you could shed some light in my question,

Thanks in advance
Eugene

Is it clear?

I am not sure, if this board have out-of-box NVMe support. Give me few moments I will find modified BIOS.

I also recommend installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode WITHOUT internet:
https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=22010
Instal Intel INF v10.1.2.19 from Supermicro site (this package will block MEI drivers from Windows Update), reboot and then connect LAN cable.

Thanks Jan for your quick reply, I appreciate

I don’t think it does support NVMe natively, there’s no mention of NVMe anywhere in the manual.

For the modified BIOS, you mean you already had the modified BIOS file for this motherboard ?
You probly do, since you got the same motherboard…

On my side, i did try to update to the latest BIOS (3.3 version), thinking that would probly solve some issues, but no luck.

UPDATE:

I finally did the mod of the BIOS on my X9DAi, I kinda follow the procedure explain on that link: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.ph…-x9dri-f.13245/
which refer to this site for the modification of the BIOS: Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers
Everything went perfect, I can now boot from the NVMe 970 EVO Plus,
I’m using the Startech 3-Port M.2 NGFF SSD Adapter, i could have use the card with the single adapter, but it could be useful at a later date… who knows
I haven’t done any speed test on it yet which i should do later.

This site is great for all the infos and ressources, there’s tons of info to grab from here.

Big thanks to JanCerny for your all your inputs, it was really helpful and appreciate

Eugene

The procedures for how to do that are here.

[Guide+Video] How to install windows on NVME SSD 960 EVO without clover on a board without NVMe support.

This is how I do mine and it works fine.

Yes, I have the same board. Unfortunately, I was modified previous version 3.2.

My BIOS settings are here:
https://hwbot.org/submission/3900391_jan…2650_v2_1995_cb

Nice setup Jan,

i haven’t done any bench on my machine yet, too buzy with work these days,
i’ll probly get time to do so during christmass time

Eugene