CH341A flash gets stuck on Asrock X370 Killer?

Don’t know if this is the right topic, but I’m trying to flash a bios to an Asrock X370 killer motherboard using a ch341 usb tool. I think I’m doing it right but when I try to “Unprotect” the chip and go through the flash process, the process stalls, even though it should only take “around one minute” can someone help me move on with the process?

Try other app version or ASProgrammer or Flashrom

Other option maybe the BIOS_PH header, read a bit here:
[CH341a Problem] Which bios_ph1 Cable for ASRock Z270 Pro4? - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Another user via BIOS_PH header with Flashrom:
[flashrom] Successful flash of ASRock soldered BIOS via BIOS_PH header (mail-archive.com)

Another guide for ASROCK X370/B350 on TPU:
ASROCK X370/B350 ryzen 5000 series mod | TechPowerUp Forums

Should be enough to fill the “brain”… cheers.

Were you able to read the chip before trying to overwrite it?

Ok, I’ll try as soon as I can

Yes I was able to read and verify the bios, but it only outputted f’s, which is supposed to be normal sometimes, I guess.

Well, a firmware with only FFs would be a brick but those AMD firmwares do have a lot of FF in the beginning and at the end…

Can you attach the dumped file?

I already checked all the way through the read, it was entirely f values. Unless you need the dump for something else?

That’s why I were asking

Since you claim you never were able to completely erase the chip there should be something on the chip.

So this is either a badly positioned clip or … (depending what happened to the board before)

Was the board bricked, what happened to it? Did someone before you work with the chip?

This board is completely bricked, which is why I thought it would be normal that the read is entirely f values. I’m pretty sure the clip is correctly seated too, but it always gets stuck at the “unprotect” step. I can try to read again with a different software if that might work?

All FF is normally either man- made or bad contact. A bad firmware update wouldn’t erase the complete chip but work in blocks and in addition there’s always information that won’t get overwritten like NVRAM, board specific information.

FF is a common readout for bad contact, a CH341 won’t complain if it is missing pins.

Ok, I’ll try reaseating and get back to you

Hey, it seems like you were right in this message. ASprogrammer just “reads” and outputs nothing, while neoprogrammer and ch341 programmer are saying the chip isn’t detected? It seems weird since I have my cpu and ram in, the clip is seated correctly, and the board is powered on. I guess I’ll try to see if I can read other boards, maybe I did something wrong :thinking:

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: [CH341a Problem] Which bios_ph1 Cable for ASRock Z270 Pro4?