DELL XPS 9550 BIOS MOD REQUEST

@Lost_N_BIOS , I hope you are having a very Merry Christmas.

I haven’t had much luck with the XPS, the wiring was still setup the same as last time but I just can’t seem to get a clean read from the W25Q128FV on the bricked XPS, I get clean dumps from the other smaller Winbond chips on the board using the Raspberry Pi, but not from the W25Q128FV.

Amongst that, I realised that the Black CH341A uses 5V logic for the SPI interface, so i am hoping i haven’t damaged the chip. I have purchased a better version of the CH341A but it won’t be here for a couple of weeks.

I’m a bit hesitant to try any dumps from the operational XPS until I sort our the programmer. But if you have any suggestions I am all ears?

Thank’s again for all the help, sorry for dragging this out, think i owe you some xmas gift cards

@coatman - Thanks, I hope you had a good Christmas as well!!
The 5V stuff about black CH341A can be ignored, that got me concerned early on too, it’s fearmongering / unnecessary worries etc.

Did you try with and without main power connected? Are your using the info I posted on post #4
You can dump the operational XPS, nothing will happen as long as you don’t erase or write

Hey, @Lost_N_BIOS

Sorry I have been pretty busy and waiting on some parts to arrive, I hope all is well with you.

Thanks for the info on Black Ch341A it had me a little worried.

I have tried with the main power on, but it doesn’t recognize the chip.

I now have one of the blue LC technology CH341A modules as well and the same deal I just can’t seem to get a verifiable read from the bricked XPS.

I also found a cheap replacement bios chip and that seems to read and verify just fine without being on a PCB.

The only thing I can think of different to last time is that i think I left it sitting with no battery/cmos for a couple of days, I have tried it after 24 hrs but no change, will try again tomorrow.

It almost seems as if something else is writing to the chip during reading as the verification fails at different places on the same read. Also if i look at the bios dumps the variation seems too consistent.

I have attached a few dumps from the LC Tech module and one from the replacement bios chip, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hx5oVq…8TmhdPKarrhNdWX

I was thinking of trying to write the replacement bios chip dump to the bricked XPS, what program were you recommending?

If you have any suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Thanks again, take care

Hello,

I had the exact same symptoms with my XPS 9550. Bricked it while trying to boot on a USB drive to format it.
Only D+power was showing me some signs of life.
Same things with the fans spinning before shutting down, no access to Bios recovery via CTRL+ESC and the power cord etc…

I just saved it by flashing the Bios with flashrom on windows using this bios :
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=915861

(last one)

Made no modifications to it.

I used this CH341a :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07RKXS…0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it’s what you call the black edition (I didn’t know anything about this module a week ago). It was a bit tricky to get the signal from the chip using the clips but after a few tries it works.

Anyway, at first I had the same symptoms but pressing f12 at startup showed me the boot menu and from that i could access the bios and now it’s working fine.
I had to reconnect the SSD and change the boot sequence to UEFI and it was good to go.

Hope this helps. A big thank you Lost_N_BIOS for all the information and help you gave on this thread !

@coatman - Sorry for the late reply! For W25Q128FV, please use the method I posted at post #4

@raphaelben - what flashrom build are you using? Can you please link this user over here with it, thanks
Dell XPS 15 9550 Intel ME Cleaner Problem

Also, when you did you dump and or writes, did you have Main battery and or power cable connected or removed, if you remember?