[Discussion] Firmware Update of the Marvell 91xx SATA Controller

@hanson

Thanks so much for the flashrom and buspirate files. Does the 0.97 flashrom work for x64 windows, or just x32? This just might inspire me to try flashing the Macronix MX25L4005 SPI EEPROM with the buspirate again. BTW I’m using a version 3.5 buspirate and I see that the buspirate firmware files you sent have all the files and firmware necessary to flash my buspirate v3.5.

@lordkag

Yes my mainboard is an Asus P7P55D-E-LX with an onboard Marvell 9120 SATA controller. I tried to flash the mainboard bios with updated Marvell 9120 SATA controller components some time ago with no success. I guess it is possible that I didn’t properly inject all the components. I’m willing to try again.

I did correspond with someone in Russia who had a problem similar to mine with their onboard Marvell 9120 SATA Controller on an ASUS X58 mainboard. This person’s X58 mainboard also had a Macronix MX25L4005 SPI EEPROM for the onboard Marvell 9120 SATA Controller which was flashed using a programmer with firmware for a U3S6 card with Marvell 9120 SATA Controller. This person reported to me that the mainboard bios re-flashed the onboard controller with the Marvell 9120 SATA controller components from the mainboard bios during the next mainboard post process. So that is why I’m hopeful that the same will happen for me if I can flash the onboard Macronix MX25L4005 SPI EEPROM. It sounds as though you think this could very well be my only option to recover the onboard Marvell 9120 SATA Controller.

@Stress

Yes the flashrom works under x64. Just run a dosbox as admin, enter the flashrom folder and type: flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=comx -w <filename.xxx> and it should work. I put the flashrom folder directly on c: so it’s more comfortable. Of course the image you want to flash has to be in the same folder. Do you know how to update your buspirate (setting bridge between pgc and pgd contact)?

Best regards hanson

@hanson

Thanks for the response. I updated the buspirate firmware several months ago before the latest firmware generation. IIRC I used software to update the firmware. I don’t remember setting the bridge but I remember reading about it. I’m sure I can figure it out again. I may give it a try this weekend (instead of mowing the lawn).

hi friend I apologize for my english i have a pci-e card asus U3S6 with chip marvell 88se9120 bios 1.0.0.1028.
Can you explain me how upgrade chip with last LOADER VERSION, BIOS VERSION, FIRMWARE VERSION please?
i don’t use raid but only ahci mode with ssd samsung evo 840
best regards

@biondo79

Hi,

unfortunately that’s a tricky thing to do. The easiest way is to use a programmer like I did. the needed images I could give to you. Second possibility is to use some downloaded firmware together with a special mvf_mag.exe that has been modified by our member @lordkag .Anyway this method is a bit risky because the firmware to download is for onboard cards which behave different from our ASUS PCIe card.

Best regards hanson

which version did you manage to flash on your U3S6?

with the new firmware you have had improvements in performance?

it is normal to boot the card is seen 1x 5GB / s ?

Yes the system is more stable. Before I had random bluescreens when booting from that controller, this is fixed now. Read/write performance is a little better but not that much. I have the newest versions right now, not sure exactly. I could check that tomorrow. This card is installed in my "bedroom" HTPC…
The 1x5GB/s is normal, this is the PCIex4 speed-limit where the card is connected to on your mobo.

Best regards hanson

ok let me know the version please …
I want to risk updating :slight_smile: on my u3s6

thanks

Best Regards

Hello, and thank you for such a kind help.

I’ve read just two pages (I don’t know English so good, I’ll try to read it all later), but I realised, that the problem in flasher.

I have ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 with latest BIOS (2.01F) and Marvell 88SE9120 controller with 1.0.0.2470 firmware version.
Link to my MB: http://asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX%20Deluxe5/?cat=Specifications

I’ve downloaded firmware version 2.3.1055.
Link: http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php…-startdown/358/
I have the same problem, as the topic starter: “No supported flash found”.

At the page #6 you attached modified mvf_mag.exe.
As far as I can judge it won’t help me, cause you’ve made it for TS MB (tried it with files, which are in 2.3.1055-archive and USB flash just didn’t ran). By the way, there are less files (in 2.3.1055), than in the archive you had attached at the first page. No P.bat, etc.
Excuse me again for my laziness. =(

Can you help me, please?
What shall I change and where?

P.S. Didn’t understand how to write a post without “reply”.
P.P.S. When we will solve the problem (if it isn’t just in mvf_mag.exe code) I’ll translate the solution into Russian and try to post somewhere for people’s easiness.

@ X-tick:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution.
I hope with you, that someone will find a solution for your problem.

You can either create a new thread by giving it a special topic title or reply to an already existing thread.
What is your problem?

Regards
Fernando

[quote="Fernando, post:110, topic:30492"] @ X-tick:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution.
I hope with you, that someone will find a solution for your problem.
Zitat von X-tick im Beitrag #109
Didn't understand how to write a post without "reply". [/quote] You can either create a new thread by giving it a special topic title or reply to an already existing thread.
What is your problem?

Regards
Fernando

No, there is no problem. When I was replying to lordkag's post I thought, that I was addressing it just to him, not for all. My mistake.

hi guy

can anyone tell me what the latest version is available for marvel chip 88se9120?

attach bin and flasher please …:slight_smile:

see you

@biondo79

Hi and sorry for the late reply. So here’s the modified flasher that worked for my U3S6 card. The file “image.bin” in the bin folder is the original that came with the firmware package and the file “IMAG_RB.BIN” is a dump that I took with the flasher from my card. As this one surely works on my one you maybe should rename this file to image.bin and replace it with the original file.

But keep in mind: it’s all risky and you try this at your own risk.

Best regards hanson

Edit: BIOS version is 1.0.0.1038

Marvell Flash.zip (348 KB)

Hello Hanson

I also would like to try to flash my card.

I don’t understand your latest instructions: there’s no “image.bin” file in the bin folder, just an “image”. How to rename, and which one - could you please explain it once more?..

This is the contents from your file:

This is the contents from the new BIOS 2.3.1055:

Sorry that was my mistake. The original "image" has no .bin ending. So you can try to rename the "IMAG_RB.bin" to just "image". Please be informed that this modded mvf_mag.exe will only work with the SPI chip from ASUS U3S6 card. More safe would be to use the "help" command from the mvf_mag.exe and try to flash my original dump directly (without renaming and the "go" command from Marvell flash package).

hi
thanks for reply you are very kind… :slight_smile:

i have have copied your package in the root of usb bootable pen

spi_info in your package is good for u3s6 ?

now i rename "IMAG_RB.bin" in "image.bin" ? and try to type :

go.bat -e -y
go.bat -y

?

or directly

"c:\mvf_mag IMAG_RB.bin" ???

spi_info is ok, the matter is the mvf_mag and it works with my card. It depends on the spi chip that you have. Hope it’s same than on my card… You could try to rename “IMAG_RB.BIN” just in “image” and try it with “go”. Or you use the “mvf_mag.exe” directly but I don’t know the commands, maybe you can find them out by typing “mvf_mag.exe -h” or similar. In that case it should be possible to use “IMAG_RB.BIN” directly without renaming. It’s more safe because the file has nearly double size of the original “image”.

Good luck hanson

i renamed IMAG_RB.BIN in IMAGE.BIN

i have used go.bat

chip recognized correctly, erased and flashed

1) go.bat -e -y

say autoload not found but section has been canceled

after i type

go.bat -y

flashed corrrecly all section from 0 to 6

i tried to reboot pc and u3s6 no more detected :frowning:

i tried also to flash with directly mvf_mag.exe

C:\mvf_mag.exe -eset IMAG_RB.BIN

but say "Flash Failed"

any ideas ?

@biondo79
@THZ
@X-tick

There are a few things to consider:
- Hanson had a programmer and the risks involved were much smaller this way.
- Hanson agreed to test pretty much everything I had thrown at him. We wouldn’t have come to these bits of information without his help. Gaudi was another tester, but with less success in flashing a fully working image.
- image.bin (512KB) is only used with a programmer, image (200-300KB) is used with the flasher
- Image 2.3.0.1055 is for 92xx, the latest image for 91xx is 2.3.0.1007. Better wait until I provide a working flasher, otherwise you might do something irreversible.

In order to move along, I need to know that you understand the risk and that you are OK to test as it is, even if your Marvell controller might cease to work. Once you have thought this well, you will need to provide the following informations:
- what is the type of controller: onboard (which mainboard), external (which card)
- what is the ID of the controller: 9120, 9123, 9128 …
- what is the full ID of the chip containing the image, which is located next to the Marvell controller

At this point, biondo79 has the highest chances of getting his card to work, since the image is already tested by Hanson as working and we only need to patch the flasher with the SPI chip ID. The rest need to provide the dump of the chip using “go -r” in order to analyze the content of the image.

thanks for your support

i tried type go -r

i have external controller pci-express asus u3s6 marvell chip 88SE9120 "Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9120&SUBSYS_84001043&REV_12"

thanks