[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

@Gonzakpo

CPU microcodes can only be updated on the AMI Aptio platform. If BIOS platform Insyde H2O or SCT Phoenix, then updating is not possible using UBU.

Ohhh I see. I didn’t understand my BIOS really. Because the official tool to flash it (provided by Sony) is AFUWIN. But the BIOS inside looks like Insyde (you can even read the words “Insyde Software Corp.” on the first bytes of the file). Can an Insyde BIOS be flashed with AMI tools??

@Gonzakpo

And UBU, at the very beginning of the work, what does the "Platform - " write?

It says AMI Aptio 4

@Gonzakpo

Oops Then your BIOS does not belong to Insyde H2O and UBU can update microcodes. But the package includes only microcodes for desktops. For notebooks, you need to add on your own or leave only 1 microcode.

@SoniX
Thank you very much for your quick feedback and support!!! Wish you be healthy and wealthy :slight_smile:
I have read post below and I have one question more

If I use files in Intel_VBIOS_and_BSF.7z can I brick my laptop with Kabe Lake Mobile processor or this warning is for Sandy/Ivy or Haswell maybe?
I have some doubts about this because of plutomaniac’s post but on the other hand in Table VBT OROM VBIOS Version and Size.docx SkyLake-KabyLake (Desktop/Mobile) are mentioned both?

So what is your final words: is it safe to update vrom bios acording your instruction for KabyLake Mobile 7700hq not only Desktop 7700(K)? For Haswell Mobile intersting too (4210M Link 8086,416 but in readme at vbios folder written "#for Haswell/Broadwell
# - vbioshsw.dat - support DevID 0402, 0412, 0C02, 0C12" not 416)? And UBU doesn’t update 1037 to 1044 on 306C3 chip (4210m). If required where can I find mobile bioses, may be you have another archive with mobile bioses?

upd1037to1044.JPG

How can I add my own microcodes to the UBU package? I know they are available here (https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes). But how do I add them to UBU?

@hoffer amd @ALL

In general, I do not recommend updating OROM VBIOS and GOP Driver. If you have no problem displaying the image on the screen.
I had cases when the image did not fit on the screen, a problem with the resolution. In such situations, replacing the OROM VBIOS or GOP Driver helped a lot.
So better think again - do you need to change or not.
But if you really want, then at your own peril and risk. :))

@hoffer

If I understand you correctly, then do you want to spell OROM VBIOS 1037 to 1044?
No problems. The VBT for both versions are identical and the transfer of settings will be 1 in 1.
But just in case, send me your files, I will compare.

Oh yes. OROM VBIOS, starting with HSW, are universal, that is, suitable for desktops and mobile.

@Gonzakpo

Very simple. If it’s Intel.

1) In the “Filea\Intel\mCode” folder, create your own folder. Exfmple - "My_mCode"
2) Put all your microcodes in it.
3) Open d TextEditor file “MCUpdate.txt” amd Redo
’CPUID’ My_mCode’name file

Example

;My_Mcode
706DC My_mCode\cpuid706DCblf-nla-bla
706DB My_mCode\cpuid706DBblf-nla-bla

* It is advisable to write in descending order.

For AMD.
1) Open “Files\AMD\mCode” folsder
2) Remove old mCode from “Old” or “AM4” folder
3) Add new mCode.
Done.

Updating Intel and AMD microcodes is radically different for technical reasons. At AMD, microcodes are always one racer.

@SoniX
Thanks a lot for your advices!
Here are my files that I try to made for Kaby and Haswell to update orom VBios with some explanations in file пояснения.txt

7700hq.rar (3.52 MB)

4210m.rar (2.04 MB)

@hoffer

Well. Will watch. Delete your archives, I have already taken them.

@SoniX :
Thank you. I succeeded updating the microcodes. Then I verified the Modded Rom against the original one, and I see that the padding after the microcodes was removed… Is this normal?

These are the links of the ROMS:
Original BIOS: https://mega.nz/#!XtkDQSTC!QqRSYR5Y_gkBp…O1pRXDxstpzxhqM
Modded BIOS (by UBU Tool): https://mega.nz/#!ipsFDSxK!2MBl0tBIGLrvK…M1sY19i4wuX8Lfg

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@Gonzakpo

Hard to say, but usually not critical. Such filling is usually provided for adding new microcodes, but there may well be an alignment of subsequent volumes.

Mmmm, so I think is safer just to edit the microcodes in HxD. Because I have no idea why the tool deleted the padding and the effects of it.
I did it following this guide: https://web.archive.org/web/201410160356…microcodes.html
It is for Insyde BIOS I know, but the hex editing part was exactly the same for my BIOS.
And my eternal doubt: why my AMI bios says "Insyde Software" on the first bytes… ironic…

@Gonzakpo :
Insyde H2OEZE 100.00.02.13
https://www.sendspace.com/file/kv5j4z

Insyde H2OEZE 100.00.03.04
https://www.sendspace.com/file/rqnlla

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@jordanpchome
Definitely is not an Insyde BIOS. It says "unsupported rom".

@SoniX
Thanks for all your support again. Do you think is safe to flash the UBU modified ROM? Regardless of the missing padding (after the microcodes)? If I edit the bios manually using a Hex Editor and replace the microcodes myself, it is the same?? I would prefer to preserve the original padding just in case…

@Gonzakpo

I can not give a 100% guarantee for your notebook.
Any change in BIOS firmware always has a risk.

I think that you can install VMWare Microcode Driver?
At least it will always be possible to change the microcode promptly and not patch the BIOS.

@SoniX :
Yeah, probably the smartest thing to do. Because my BIOS looks very strange. Your tool identifies it as AMI Aptio. Phoenix Tool identifies it as Insyde EFI. And H2OEZE tools say it’s unsupported… THIS IS MADNESS

@Gonzakpo

It’s quite normal. Each manufacturer is perverted in its own way.In fact, you have AMI Aptio 4, the very first versions. Therefore, the scatter.

In general, install VMWare, it is more reliable and calmer. :slight_smile:

@Gonzakpo :
Please stop fully quoting other posts. It takes too much space. If you want to reply to a certain Forum member, use the directly addressing form. Additional advantage: The addressed person will be notified about your reply.