[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

@KedarWolf

You need to install a new offset for FIT,
I will add this fix to the mCodeFIT later, but for now you can do it yourself using the hex editor.

So. Open the BIOS image in the hex editor.
Find "FIT" and see offset

scr1.jpg

Offset == 0xDD3480
We look at the end of the BIOS image with an offset - 0x40.

scr2.jpg

Offset 0xFFFFC0 == 80 34 DD
This value will need to be corrected after BIOS modification.

After modding open BIOS Image and find "FIT"

scr3.JPG

We see that the offset has changed and == 0xDD1100
This new value should be written down at the end of the BIOS image.
That is:
Offset 0xFFFFC0 != 80 34 DD -> 00 11 DD

MMTool
5.0.0.7 is optimal for both Aptio 4 and V platforms.But you can use any version of MMTool.
Let me remind you that MMTool is needed only for AMI BIOS in 2 sluyayah:
- replacement of OROM on Aptio 4
- replacement of microcodes on Aptio 4 and V, but not always.

i dont have problems with 5.0.07 and new one!!! all works

This is Weston (Pro?), but I do not know to which CPU with GPU it belongs.
Can you post an image of BIOS with this file?

In UBUl as "AMI Setup IFR Extractor"
Use as used before.

Is it possible to make version of UBU that have already inserted latest INTEL RSTe updates. So this way tool is more user frendly to update bios without any knowlage where to put files in which folder… If this is possible i will like to ask for download link - my main goal is just update old bios .

It is possible, but it is not compatible for various Intel RST/RSTe/VROC.
If I add the latest versions of the IRST/IRSTe/VROC files, users of early motherboard models will not be able to use them due to incompatibility.

And then. Newer versions are not always better than previous ones.

And more recently. The package already gives users a mindless update of files. And sometimes it is necessary and useful to think.

OK i get it.
Main reason was to update old, or early models of bios (aptio 4). So i was hoping to get version that uses “safe” updates (not recent) as in one download link. There was old version UBU_v1_69_11_fix which has already some files inside to update and it was great for “mindless” update :wink:

Main reason is to update bios of old laptop + computer…
UX31EAS.215 https://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/BIOS/UX-Serie/
MB X99-A-ASUS-3902 https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_BIOS/

@podlbo

For a notebook, I see no reason to update the IRST. I do not think that the RAID array will be assembled on it.
For x99, if you plan to use RAID, then it is better to consult with those who already use this function. And pick the best version of files.
See links in ubu_abt.mht

On the homepage of the UBU downloads there is an archive with different versions of IRST/IRSTe/VROC. Already with the necessary names and folders.

Yes, python’s regex is very strong and feature-rich so you can’t replicate that at UEFIFind. I see you did come up with some pattern which works with UEFIFind. If you still can’t make it work, maybe we could ask MCE to give you the offsets of each microcode and then work with that? If you need any help, let me know.

@plutomaniac

Yes, as I said, sometimes we have to improvise.
Let’s see if this pattern is not successful, then we will think.
Thank. :slight_smile:

Hello

Bios v910 updated (w/UBU 1.71.1) my Ivy Bridge microcode from 0x20 to the new 0x21 (cpu306A9_plat12_ver00000021_2019-02-13_PRD_A8DF9213.bin).
All went fine and work flawlessly now, didn’t saw any lower performances yet

IMG_0984.JPG

Thanks again.

Hello guys ! I tried to update an Asus bios of (z97-p) which is a .cap bios. After finishing and ubu tool recreating the .cap file when i tried to flash it the bios said this is not a valid bios file.
I have uploaded both original and modded bios.

Z97-P-ASUS-2907.zip (5.42 MB)

Z97P MOD.zip (5.45 MB)

RZ-Flash?

@sonix Ez Flash 2.01

*edit
Just found this method: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…l-AMD-roll-back
Should i try it?

@ektorasdj :
You cannot flash a modified capsuled ASUS BIOS by using the EZ tool (even if the modification has been done absolutely correctly).
Please have a look into the start post of >this< thread.

@SoniX :
Is the Gigabyte Z390 BIOS microcode issue fixed with the updated version of UBU Tool or do I need to still adjust the fit first manually?

Asking for a friend.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

Edit: Thank you for editing it, my habits from other forums are evident here. In the future I’ll address the person directly.

@SoniX

I checked the modified BIOS I modified using latest UBUTool and newest MMTool and the fit was still wrong. I fixed it using your instructions, flashed the BIOS and it worked perfectly!!

Thank you.

@KedarWolf

I’m sorry for the delay. I uploaded a new version of mCodeFIT v0.6.7, which now fixes the FIT offset to the correct one.

Edit:
Up to 0.6.8. Fixed minor bug.

H110M PRO-VD can’t update microcode.

mmtool_a4.exe: Error in Replacing File (version 5.0.0.7)

[Preparing for replacement]
BIOS file backup
Dummy GUID: GUID replaced
mCode GUID: GUID replaced
[Replacement]
mCode FFS: Error!
BIOS file restored
Press any key to continue . . .

tried newest mCodeFIT.exe still gives error.

7996v2H.zip (5.03 MB)