Easier W7 install with Ryzen 5500 or 5600G?

Hello,

I want to buy a modern Ryzen motherboad, although I cannot leave Windows 7 because I have an slavery to a software which only works well with W7.

Purpose is not gaming. I should work with virtualboxes and other tasks requesting memory and cpu power. I thought these Ryzen 5 can be a good option for the price.

I have spent some days reading this board before choosing the right components. However, still I’m confused because the commentaries I can read are different depending the date, the components and the different drivers versions.

In short, I plain to buy:

• MB: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5500 + used Nvidia GT 1030, or Ryzen 5 5600G ?
  • Disk: NVME Samsung SSD 980 PRO PCIe 4.0

I know there is the AMD Adrenalin Edition 22.6.1 which seems to be available for W7. Also, I have read about the process to install the rest of drivers using PS/2, an additional PCIe USB card, or also the same W7 ISO.

These are my final doubts before choosing the components to get an easy W7 install and an stable system:

• It can be a better choosing the cpu 5500 + nvidia GT 1030 instead the 5600G, to avoid problems with the video drivers for the 5600G?

• Win 7 will accept the Samsung NVME PCIe 4.0? They will work at full speed?

• Is this configuration suitable to get an easy install W7 and an stable system?

thank you for any help!

As far as I know, there is no graphic driver for Ryzen 5600G under Windows 7 so it makes no sense to choose this processor.

It won’t be an “easy install” because at least you will need to integrate USB 3.0 and NVME support into the installation image.

1 Like

ok, the existence of a video driver for the 5600G was not clear to me. Thanks!. Then I will go for the 5500 or similar with the GT 1030 for graphics.

I know I will need the integration of USB 3.0 and Nvme. This is not an special concern although I don’t know if W7 will work without problems with the nvme PCI 4.0.

I imagine are different issues, although I don’t know for sure about this point. Some thoughts?

Your main concern will be the B550 chipset drivers USB/SATA/PCIe (W10/11) related to stability and performance, not the Samsung NVMe or its driver (Win7 supported) against the B550 PCIe 4.0/3.0 chipset compatibility itself.

You should read a bit some topics from user experiencies about W7 and modern AMD chipsets:
Latest Operating Systems/Windows 7/Vista/Server 2008 topics - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Please, read this first. In my case (b350 + Ryzen 5500) i have BSOD because of ACPI.
My friend have b450 + Ryzen 5600 and it works well with Win7 x64

yes, I have read the B450 doesn’t have problems and I hope the same for B550 according what I have found.

I read in the Specification of your MB:

"To support Windows 7 64-bit, you must install an AMD Pinnacle Ridge, Summit Ridge and Bristol Ridge CPU.
** Please download the “Windows USB Installation Tool” from GIGABYTE’s website and install it before installing Windows 7."*

Maybe your MB model has those CPU restrictions?. I don’t know, it is just one idea…

yes, I have read the board many days. However, the information is a bit chaotic because experiences changes depending the date, models, etcetera. Sadly there is no place listing configurations working and its related components and install process.

I have read about the availability of Chipset modified drivers, although I’m not sure about the final stability. Some people says there are no further problems, others there are problems, others it depends of the right installation…

Maybe I should take the risk and buy it. This is not safe but no other way if the new Intel CPUs still are a worse option…

I cannot find in this forum any recent experience with Gigabyte B550M DS3H. The experiences I find with B550 are for other manofacturers and months old.

I have doubts about the necessity to update the Bios. Is this necessary?

Any help for Gigabyte B550M DS3H would be very appreciated.