Enable "Above 4G Decoding" for Gigabyte Z97X-SLI

Hi, I would like to add an option for my Z97 system to use Resizable Bar, but in order for that feature to work Above 4G Decoding is needed. I have no problem adding ReBarDXE driver from xCuri0 ( GitHub - xCuri0/ReBarUEFI: Resizable BAR for (almost) any PCIe 3.0 system) to my bios with MMTool (and the bios works), but I’m concerned about the lack of 4G Decode option in BIOS.

With AMIBCP v4.55 I’ve searched for BIOS Strings with that name and it’s there:

Unfortunately, in AMIBCP Setup Configuration I can’t see any option with that name, the only thing that may be related to Above 4G Decoding is Memory Remap feature, although it’s enabled by default according to AMIBCP. So, no way to simply set USER in Access/Use column.

Is there any possibility for un-hiding or enabling Above 4G Decoding on my Gigabyte board, or am I just stuck without it? I’m using Broadwell CPU if that makes any difference.

Bios file:
Z97XSLI10b.zip (5.6 MB)

IFR extracted setup strings:
strings.zip (85.8 KB)

Any help regarding my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Use grub-mod-setup_var GitHub - datasone/grub-mod-setup_var: A modified grub allowing tweaking hidden BIOS settings..

Try doing setup_var 0x3 0x1. Reboot and do setup_var 0x3 0x0. Then reboot again and do setup_var 0x3 0x1.

Even though there doesn’t appear to be an option in the bios it’s possible that the 4G decode setting is still at 0x3 like it on my Gigabyte board. Verify if it’s enabled by checking if you have Large Memory in device manager resources by type. It’s possible that it’s already enabled by default

Unfortunately it didn’t work, the variables were applied, but no Large Memory in device manager and GPU-Z reports Above 4G Decode disabled.

I’ll keep trying with that grub mod, some trial and error and maybe something will work. Any other ideas in the meantime?

I’ve narrowed my problem: the string “Above 4G Decoding” appears to exist in Setup section of BIOS as UEFITool says, but extracted IFR just does not contain it. How is that even possible? If it was visible, it would be trivial to just flip the switch via setup_var command, but it’s nowhere to be found :frowning:

Hex view of it shows the line:

How can I do anything with it?

Have you checked if older BIOS versions have it show up the IFR extractor ?

I’ve checked all bios versions available on gigabyte’s website, but to no avail. I’ve even checked Z97-D3H, practically identical board by layout, but also no luck.

Makes me think that no Gigabyte 4th/5th-gen mobos have Above 4G Decoding.

Hi There! Have you find a solution? I have same problem. I’m using ga-z97-gaming5 but i can enable rebar but with only 1gb if i go 2gb or more just black screen.

Hey there, sorry for late reply. If you can enable ReBar or Above 4G Decode then your problem is completely different than mine. I haven’t found a solution to my problem yet.

Not sure if this is repeatable, but with your recent response I wanted to at least mention my recent success with linux and apparently enabling “Above 4G Decoding” and ReBar for my Gigabyte Z97mx-gaming5 and Nvidia Tesla P40. References/links at bottom of post.

Similar to your posted experience, “Above 4G Decoding” appeared in the bios strings but I saw no hidden options to enable when using either UEFITool/IRFExtractor or amibcp 4.55.0070.

In a last-ditch effort, I figured I’d try the DSDT Patching [1]. Instead of immediately flashing the bios I attempted to load the DSDT.aml using grub. Instead of using the grub boot menu edit mentioned in another thread [2], I attempted the more permanent route using the “01_acpi” file in grub.d.

Initially ubuntu simply failed to boot and ended up in a crash/boot-loop, so I ended up having to use a ubuntu-20.04.6-live-server usb to create a new grub2 configuration, deleting the DSDT.aml and “01_acpi” files in the process.

Imagine my surprise when on next boot the Tesla P40 memory was finally assigned and nvidia-smi says ReBar works [* this is a k8s worker node, and I’m using Nvidia’s gpu-operator for the drivers]:

root@cloud19:~# uname -a
Linux cloud19 5.4.0-100-generic #113-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 3 18:43:29 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@cloud19:~# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.4.0-100-generic root=UUID=… ro console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 amd_iommu=on intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pci=nocrs pci=assign-busses pci=realloc cgroup_disable=hugetlb dpdk-socket-mem=4096,4096 rcu_nocb_poll=true crashkernel=768M
root@cloud19:~# lspci -vv -s 01:00.0
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102GL [Tesla P40] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GP102GL [Tesla P40]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 66
Region 0: Memory at f1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at 1000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32G]
Region 3: Memory at c00000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]

root@nvidia-driver-daemonset-bqnvj:/drivers# nvidia-smi
Sun Apr 30 03:32:06 2023
±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 515.48.07 Driver Version: 515.48.07 CUDA Version: 11.7 |
|-------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
| | | MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 Tesla P40 On | 00000000:01:00.0 Off | Off |
| N/A 32C P8 9W / 250W | 0MiB / 24576MiB | 0% Default |
| | | N/A |
±------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+

±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes: |
| GPU GI CI PID Type Process name GPU Memory |
| ID ID Usage |
|=============================================================================|
| No running processes found
root@nvidia-driver-daemonset-bqnvj:/drivers# nvidia-smi -q | grep -i bar -A 3
BAR1 Memory Usage
Total : 32768 MiB
Used : 2 MiB
Free : 32766 MiB |

I have no idea why “Above 4G Decoding” and ReBar appear to be working without the acpi and dsdt files still in grub. I’d post the patch file for DSDT.dsl, but new users to the forum can’t upload files. Unfortunately, the format of patch files don’t play well with post blockquotes, so I’ll post the description and content instead. Basically, I followed the DSDT Patching instructions [1,2], left the existing QWordMemory and essentially commented out the whole section around existing “M1LN” and “ML2N”, creating/leaving the following:

If ((PM0H == One))
            {
                CreateBitField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1A._RW, F0RW)  // _RW_: Read-Write Status
                F0RW = Zero
            }

CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1C._MIN, M1MN)  // _MIN: Minimum Base Address
            CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1C._MAX, M1MX)  // _MAX: Maximum Base Address
            CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1C._LEN, M1LN)  // _LEN: Length
            M1MN = (TLUD << 0x14)
            M1LN = ((M1MX - M1MN) + One)

CreateQWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1E._LEN, M2LN)  // _LEN: Length
            CreateQWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1E._MIN, M2MN)  // _MIN: Minimum Base Address
            CreateQWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y1E._MAX, M2MX)  // _MAX: Maximum Base Address

// 39-bit for Haswell and up
            M2MX = 0x8000000000 - One // ((M2MN + M2LN) - One)
            If ((TUUD >= 0x1000))
            {
                M2MN = (TUUD << 0x14) // M64B // External reference
            }
            Else
            {
                M2MN = 0x100000000
            }

M2LN = ((M2MX - M2MN) + One) // M64L // External reference

Return (BUF0) // \_SB_.PCI0.BUF0

References:
[1] DSDT Patching · xCuri0/ReBarUEFI Wiki · GitHub
[2] [Request] Above 4G decoding for AsRock z97 Extreme 9 and Asus P8P67 evo - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Requests - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

1 Like