GA Z170X and SSD SATA 2,5 doesn't show up in BIOS

Hi,

I’m new here.

I’ve already read through the various posts and haven’t found anything related to my problem. I hope I’m posting a new question that hasn’t been addressed before.

On a GA-Z170X motherboard (BIOS 22m) that I use exclusively as an Hackintosh, I wanted to expand the system and purchased a 2TB Sandisk ultra 3d SSD SATA 2.5" and a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo SSD SATA 2.5". I already have two 2TB Samsung EVO 960 models.
The cables are correctly connected, working well and I have tested the drives one at a time on SATA port 0 and/or 1, disconnecting all other drives.

Well, the Sandisk doesn’t even appear in the BIOS devices, the Samsung does but for internal architecture reasons it overheats and crashes… but the reasons depend on the operating system.

The disks work fine on another computer (z270) and appear in the BIOS among the devices present.

Is there anyone who has encountered the same or similar problems with a possible solution? Is it possible to modify the BIOS (because I think it’s just that) to make the devices appear?

Some boards will disable some SATA ports due to resource allocation on additional PCIe devices present on the system.
Check the manual
Besides cables, bios settings… cant see the issue on this.
Does a spare 960 (the non OS boot) works on any ports besides the 0 and 1?
SATA AHCI or RAID settings?

Hi, Thx for the answer!
First, I need to correct myself. The drives in question are both Samsung 8xx series. The SATA configuration is AHCI.

Any other drive works with the same cable and on the same port. It seems to be a problem with the new generation drives. I repeat, an 860 from a couple of years ago works perfectly. Unfortunately, they are difficult to find on the market

Well upon confirmed cables and ports working i see this as compatibility issue from Gigabyte…as this issue reproduces itself on 2 different brands.
Really not seeing a big issue on Standard 2,5 SSD SATA disks… i think this is an issue to address on Gigabyte tech support.
I dont see any correction notes regarding SATA SSD on bios releases, latest being the F.22m (Z170X Gaming 7)
My pov only, you can wait for other users, all the best and good luck.

EDIT: There’s a report of a user that was privately given a F22p (Z170X Gaming 7, Not public) bios file to fix an USB issue, by Gigabyte. But you should still get in touch with them.

HI,
Thank you for the information.

I just received a beta from Gigabyte (22r) that did not bring the much-desired improvements. They claim that they have never had a problem like this and that it is the first time.

It is going very slowly. I would like to be able to get out of a situation that has been suspended for a couple of weeks now with the computer scattered over 10 square meters. :))

By the way, on the link you provided … a couple of posts below I found the link to the file (22p).

Thank you for your valuable support anyway.

Yes the file was shared later on.
You see… even them are surprised with such issue on standard operation with regular 2.5 SSD disks.
Really not seeing whats happening in your system…sorry.

The forum would appreciate if you’re willing to share that beta bios.

EDIT: You can upload as ZIP/RAR here on this forum, attaching it to any of your posts by editing it or making a new post or you can share a temporary link on your preferred sharing service like Onedrive/Google Drive, Mediafire…etc.
And thank you.

Back to your issue, do you have the ASMEDIA1061 SATA device enable?
Did you tried on these ports (SATA3 6~7), supporting AHCI mode only.
Do you have any M.2 slots with disks?

Hi,

Certainly, I am willing to share the file. The internet was created a long time ago precisely for sharing and disseminating freely (those were the good times). Now, I don’t know, is there a way to save the file in the depths of the website’s database? Do you know anyone who has access to the database?

Sorry, but in my haste, I used the wrong term, which significantly changes the meaning of the sentence

I will open a new post containing the beta BIOS file and… Yes, the Asmedia 1061 is active, and I have tried the drivers on each individual port.`

Here, I meant to say that I have tried the hard drives on each individual port, and yes, the Asmedia is active. No, I don’t have M.2 or NVMe drives, only 3.5" HDDs and 2.5" SATA SSDs.

No my friend, no OS drivers related if the controller in bios doesn’t show the disks…
A very bizarre issue indeed…
You can edit one of your posts and attach a link or the compressed file.

1 Like