[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thanks!
It could be flashed in AISUITE.
But it’s couldn’t show the pata in the boot list.I found the bios didn’t have nvme module when I backup the bios after flashing.

Then it’s not actually flashing the mod BIOS, maybe you are not replacing at the correct time in that process? I’ve never had luck doing that

Hmm, I am working trying one of the three methods mentioned for Asus motherboard. (mine is Strix Z270f, so no USB flashback)
So far the AFUWin keep showing not supported on this platform. (Error 201: [FPTW.exe] cannot be run on the current platform)
I will take a look at the AFUDos and see if it is working.

One weird thing though, my Asus AI Suite 3 doesn’t have EZ Flash modules. I believe I used to see it in the older version but not anymore.
Anyone has any idea what is the latest version with EZ Flash option available?

@Rez - FPT works on your system, but slow down now so you don’t brick anything! DO not use AFU/AFUDOS, especially with /GAN that is all designed for much older BIOS types

To use FPT you need to have the right ME System Tools package - Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify (or this is the file you now re-modify) >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the stock dumped BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Asus EZ Flash in a “in BIOS” thing, you’ll find it in the BIOS. This does not work for mod BIOS though, so no point to find, unless you are updating stock BIOS

Thank you for great explanation.
Regarding the Asus EZ Flash method, I was actually talking about the Windows version of it in AI Suite 3. It seems some body trick the program with the original bios and replace it with mod bios just before clicking the flash button and let the system restart to continue in dos. In this case I use the original 1301 version and replace it with modded port bios from Z370 I got from @svarmod.

It somehow seems to be successful. Anyway, I don't show which bios version I suppose to see in the bios 1301 or 2001. Or any method to dump and see the current microcode, my bios support?

Anyway, I followed your instruction and create the biosreg.bin sent to your ib. But when I try the "-f" command, I got the following error:
Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 11.8.65.3590
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2018, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
MT25QL128ABA ID:0x20BA18 Size: 16384KB (131072Kb)

Error 368: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space.
FPT Operation Failed.

@Rez - I’ve only “heard” of that success in Windows with Ai Suite, not any EZ Flash windows (never heard of that program). But yes, I see we mean same now, I’ve never had luck with that method, even the old version. But, I have seen reports of success.
You’re supposed to see in the BIOS whatever version you wanted to flash, otherwise flash was a failure.

To see current microcodes you can sometimes see on BIOS main page, or CPU info pages in BIOS. Or you can check with HWINFO64, it’s shown in the middle of the little CPU-z like window (uC), or in the large window on the CPU area you will find too.

Thanks for the info, you can easily get around the 368 error, I made a guide for that, which I’d give you the variables to use but still waiting on your FPT dump (So for now you’ll have to use steps 1-5 to get, or wait and get me your FPT dump)
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

* Edit - @Rez - Rename your .efi file to >> Shell.efi
You need to use these variables with setup_var >> 0x90C

So at grub prompt you type the following >> setup_var 0x90C 0x0

Do not flash stock BIOS with FPT, at all, in any way, this includes some other mod BIOS by someone built on stock BIOS or some stock BIOS you edited etc!
Always dump your BIOS region via FPT, edit that, then reflash via FPT. So, again to clarify, for you to use FPT you need to dump your BIOS region, then redo your bios mods/edits to that file, then reflash it with FPT

Also, on microcodes, if you have a BIOS dump, you can drop that dumped BIOS on MC Extractor and it will show you all the current microcodes in your BIOS.
But, to confirm one being used in windows, check how I mentioned above, because sometimes Window replaces what’s in BIOS, so checking BIOS may not give you proper answer of "currently used microcode"
https://github.com/platomav/MCExtractor

@Lost_N_BIOS I tried to fix Error 368 following step 1-5 but somehow end up with a empty Section_PE32_image_Setup IFR.txt (only headers, no detail on BIOS lock). One thing I realize is that on Step 3, the Protocol showed Green EFI, not Green UEFI. I must have done something wrong there.

In the meantime, I was using the ported mod bios from Z370F motherboard and following >>>this<<< instruction , I managed to updated my bios. (without bricking, phew) Now my Z270F is showing Z370F version 2001.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to solve my issue, I guess it is time to order a 9900k. :slight_smile:

@Rez - I gave you the variable above. However, since you are now using some other BIOS it may not be same next time around, if you need to know the variable next time let me know and send me FPT Dump.
Some BIOS you cannot get variable how it’s shown in my guide, and your BIOS is one of those, that is why you could only get empty 1KB file - nothing you did wrong.

@AwesomeMarioFan Any updates on your bios mod? I also have Intel S1200v3rps MOBO + CH341a + clip with 2 successful backups of bios, now trying to add nvme boot function into a modded bios…

I am using Linux + flashrom to backup… chip was correctly detected as : W25Q128.V…

edit: I tried again today afterwork (success!),

earlier today…
For some reasons, while I try to backup (and hopefully write) yesterday, I keep getting cannot detect chip… I am thinking maybe CH341a is crooked, Just re-ordered a new CH341a, waiting for delivery and try again. Any information you can share is greatly welcome ~!!!

afterwork today… (success)
heres what I did differently,

1. s1200v3rps system booted in EFI shell (idle),
2. hooked up the clip to USB programmer (programmer device showing red-light indicating successful contacts)
3. connected USB to linux
4. power down s1200v3rps, and remove power cord
5. flashrom started detecting the chip successfully

I have applied the modded bios successfully, System can bootup with a single nvme m.2…

edit 2: add photos
photos of 1,2,3,4,5 steps

IMG_20190710_230205.jpg

IMG_20190710_234115.jpg

IMG_20190710_235247.jpg

IMG_20190710_234103.jpg

IMG_20190711_214331.jpg

This is such a great forum ~!!!

Note that the Intel FPT tool does not work with AMD platforms.

Helloooo,
I have an ASUS N56VZ and I just unlocked bios settings using the AMIBCP
Now I am an ultra-noob so I have some questions
Anything I should know before flashing?
Do I have to change the file extension from N56VZAS.217 to .ROM or .CAP?
What the name of the file should be?
and lastly, can I use EZFlash to flash my bios file or will it brick my pc?

@celloh :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I have moved your request into this already existing thread, which covers your problem/question.
Good luck!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@celloh - Sorry, this cannot be a short reply Flashing mod BIOS, or modifying a BIOS is never a simple task. You will probably need a thread to unlock your BIOS as well, unless you were just making a setting or two visible in an already visible menu section

AMIBCP will save that as a unsigned BIOS, so you cannot flash it via EZ Flash, unless you get lucky.
This is an older system, so EZ Flash may allow a mod BIOS flash, but I would assume that may only be possible if you give it a properly signed mod BIOS (ie extract BIOS body from capsule, modify that, replace mod BIOS back into stock BIOS capsule)
Then EZ Flash may allow it, since this is an older system. Send me your mod BIOS, I will do as mentioned above, so you can test.

Other than that, see post #1, or create an FPT dump of your BIOS region, modify that, then reflash that via FPT. Or, you can also use WinFlash possibly too, since this was included in some of the stock BIOS packages, or is available from Asus for this system (I see it mentioned at one of the older BIOS)

File name does not matter for any of these methods. Extension might, if you’ve removed the BIOS from the capsule, then it’s not longer an encapsulated BIOS, but it’s name was never CAP anyway, so no need to name it as such.

If you cannot EZ Flash, I suggest you dump BIOS region via FPT, edit that, and then reflash it. SMI Lock and BIOS Lock will need disabled before you can write back mod BIOS in this manner, below is link to guide to do this, you can start at step #6 as I’ve gathered the variables for you below the link
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

SMI Lock >> 0x5C
BIOS Lock >> 0x5D
Rename your .efi file to >> Shellx64.efi

Hi, can I flash via FPT a BIOS file which is 6 MB and the flash has 8 MB ? If yes, which arguments should I use ?

Thanks!

@Lost_N_BIOS Hey sooo I couldn’t wait for your reply and I forcefully updated the bios and now my computer is sigh bricked. I sent the computer to a technician and now he will flash my unlocked bios using an SPI flash programmer. So should I save the .bin file as .rom file or is .bin file fine? thx for your help and sorry I couldn’t waited and now I messed up

Sorry you couldn’t wait @celloh - and very sorry to hear you sent the system off, now it will be much more pain for you to fix properly once you get it back.

Many things need to be done properly before you can flash any mod BIOS on this system, use of AFU is not one of them and should not be used at all unless this is AMD CPU system (And if it is, I still suggest you don’t use AFU and instead get BIOS flash programming tools and do it properly and safely)

@EuroTy - NO, well in general I say no, because I have no clue what the 6MB BIOS file is. If it’s a stock BIOS then NO, you should not flash stock BIOS with FPT. If you want to use FPT, dump BIOS region, edit, then reflash BIOS region.

@Fernando
I believe I succeeded to prepare a modded image, but I’m having a problem to flash it.

I thought I would just make a bootable USB with the files taken from lenovo zip file that I showed you, with the imegefb.rom replaced by a modded version. This does not work. I include the console output:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
afudos.exe imagefb.rom /p /r
±------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| AMI Firmware Update Utility v5.09.02.1384.07.B608.LV |
| Copyright (C)2017 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
±------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reading flash … done
- FFS checksums … ok
Loading capsule to secure memory buffer … done
18 - Error: Secure Flash Rom Verify Fail.

Child process failed. Return code: 24
These changes will not take effect until the system is restarted.

Although the autoexec.bat calls

flash2.exe imagefb.rom /bb /rsmb

it seems that in the end, the afudos.exe is called.

Maybe I should call afudos.exe directly, but somehow force it not to verify the image? Is it possible?

EDIT by Fernando: Post shortened by putting the AFUDOS messages into a "spoiler" (to save space)

@glorifyday :
Since the topic “How to flash a modified AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS” has not much to do with the topic of this thread, please have a look into the start post of >this< thread.
Within the “ASUS” chapter you can find a tip about how to flash a modded BIOS successfully by using the AFUWIN tool with the added " /GAN" command.
Good luck!

@Fernando
Thanks again. I saw this thread before, but I didn’t know that instructions for ASUS apply to my Lenovo board.
I checked the files that I got from Lenovo and I can see afuwin and afuwinx64 tools, so this might work.

@glorifyday :
If you want to follow the tip with the added " /GAN" command, you should download the linked AFUWIN version. Newer versions do not support the GAN command feature.