[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@aGeoM @Fernando @Lost_N_BIOS @SoniX

Originally: your script on page one was denoted to read as C:\flashrom -p internal -r BACKUP.ROM
Which was correct.
Then the second command was to WRITE the new modded bios
Originally this was set out as: C:\flashrom -p internal r MOD.ROM a couple of days back…
Of course this was a typo as this only reads the contents of the BIOS over one’s modded bios !
I see you’ve since corrected this as follows: C:\flashrom -p internal w MOD.ROM
I looked up the documentation from the original source and near the end of the doc found the BIOS write command as:
C:\flashrom -p internal -w MOD.ROM -o writelog.txt

In any case, it is sorted out now!

Also I had a query as I am running the RAIDExpert2 module with an NVME RAID0 array using two Samsung 970 PRO 1TB drives. At one point @aGeoM suggested there was a RAIDExpert module denoted 9.2.0.138 somewhere. I combed through my File folders of my collection of older AMD RAID modules but haven’t found it.
Anybody have an idea where I can find this module?

Cheers!

and to create a backup bios you have to make it read an original bios downloaded from the manufacturer site, right?

@pipes80 :
No, the BACKUP.ROM is not created by reading and copying any downloaded BIOS file. The BACKUP.ROM is a copy of the BIOS REGION, which is currently in-use by the mainboard.
It is within the BIOS chip.

and where can take the first bios image?

I don’t understand what you mean, but I recommend to do the following, when a new original BIOS version is available for your mainboard.
1. Flash the new original BIOS by using the tool, which is recommended by the MB manufacturer.
2. Let the Flashrom tool create a BACKUP.ROM by copying the freshly updated BIOS Region and store it somewhere outside the PC.
3. Use the freshly created BACKUP ROM file as source for the UBU updates. After having finished the UBU tasks, rename the BIOS to MOD.ROM.
4. Flash the UBU modded MOD.ROM file by using the related Flashrom command.
5. If everything works fine with the UBU modded BIOS, take a new copy of the freshly modded BIOS Region and store it as BACKUP.ROM. In this case you can delete the one you in point 2.
If you should not be satisfied with the function of the UBU modded BIOS, you can recover the original BIOS Region at any time by flashing the previously stored BACKUP.ROM file. In this case the command should be "flashrom -p internal -w BACKUP.ROM".

Any instructions for dell? Specifically a dell precision t5610. I extracted and modified the bios using dell pfs extractor. It gave me a bunch of files (.bin). They are listed below:
1 – 1 System BIOS vA.19.bin
16,384 1 – 2 Gigabit Ethernet v0.D.4.bin
1 – 3 Legacy RAID OROM v3.7.0.1049.bin
1 – 4 Intel Management Engine Update v8.1.72.3002.bin
1 – 5 ACPI OS support v4.0.0.0.bin
1 – 6 Embedded Controller vA.5.bin
1 – 7 Model Information v1.0.0.0.txt

I edited 1 System BIOS vA.19.bin, with mmtool. I then verified the changes, but my question is how do i flash it?

Do I need to repack the archive? Do i need to flash the 6 .bin files? Or just the 1 system bios .bin. I could not find any posts on this forum about flashing a dell bios. If a post exists please point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much!

@blu702 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
AFAIK you have to use the “Flash Programming Tool” (FPT), which is part of the matching Intel (CS)Me System Tools. Please look into >this< or use the Search box of the Forum by inserting “Dell BIOS”.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Lost_N_BIOS
I tried to flash your modded BIOS but I got the error 28 when during flashing. It does not matter if jumper is in read only or write position. When I flashed it after sleeping mode I got the same error 7.
It seems that I can only flash the dumped REGIONBIOS back. I found out that enabling for writting of BIOS works like this. I have jumper on standard position (read only) and when the system works/runs I put the jumper to write position and get the PC to sleeping mode. After this I can write back the (dumped) BIOS. But it is weird that I can not write back your modded BIOS. Any idea? Thank you.

Error_of_modded_BIOS.JPG

@Rabanik - Yes, that is unexpected! You may have to get flash programmer then, or you need to put on jumper, and then reboot 2-3 times first, then attempt the mod BIOS flash back (Some systems w/ jumper you need to do this before it’s enabled)
Your BIOS does not have sleep bug, so you can’t quit testing that. Unless, you’ve never tested this method without jumper in position? If you have not, test it now with jumper not in position, in case having that set is causing some conflict. If still error 7, then BIOS does not have the S3 sleep bug, so no need to further attempt this method.

Fernando the guide you linked me to worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

That guide coupled with this one, allowed me to boot from an nvme drive on my dell precision t5610.

Thank you very much!

Hey guys,

I followed the entire guide… I followed it actually to the exactly…

1. Created bootable FREEDOS usb with Rufus
2. Created backup.rom file with afuwinx64 gui progrma
3. copied the flashrom.exe and other file to USB => + modded ROM (I used the AMIBCP file to edit the bios to unhide specific menu’s by changing access/use from “Default” to => "USER"

4. booted into usb via legacy mode and entered this command:

flashrom.exe -p internal -w mod.rom -o writelog.txt (just like from the guide)

Flashing completed successfully with the modded rom and here is the log file created:

https://pastebin.com/PmNCvTun

Now the weirdest thing ever is - I cannot see a single change in bios - it’s as if nothing happened - and as if I never modded the bios.rom file ever?!

I should be able to see the Chipset hidden menu and hidden subtabs in “Advanced menu” - but nothing is still there

I’m also uploading here my modded version of bios…

Here is the modded bios:

https://mega.nz/file/v0s0RKYK#qVmIGiA58Z…TNhLHnm5ILCYJVU

Can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong here?

@drmusama - Often AMIBCP is not the only thing you need to do to unlock BIOS settings or submenus in main menu sections you can already see, and certainly not hidden main menus, sometimes you don’t even need to use it at all. And, sometimes you need to use Super not User on Access level changes.
Often settings are suppressed within setup, and that needs fixed first, and then if that does not make setting appear by itself you then do AMIBCP edit on top of that.
For Main menu sections, such as hidden advanced or chipset etc, AMIBCP cannot make them visible without several other edits outside of AMIBCP, and then on top of those AMIBCP Access Level edit may or may not be needed
Sounds like you need help unlocking your BIOS, please make a new thread and give me a link to the stock BIOS download page, and your untouched AFU dump you are using to reflash with (I do not need to see your mod BIOS)

Okay thank you so much for the insight! I will copy-paste this post from this thread and adjust it like you said in this bolded part.

I cannot figure out how to download the latest AFUWINGUI etc. from https://ami.com/en/products/firmware-too…uefi-utilities/

None of the pages lead me to downloads. I’m looking for AFUWINGUI and AMIBCP :frowning:

@KedarWolf :
AMI offers different AFU Tools for different BIOS platforms (AMI Aptio IV, AMI Aptio V and AMI BIOS 8).
If you want to download the matching AMI AFU Tool for your specific mainboard, you should click onto the related button. Look here:

AFU Tools.png

After having done that, you will be directed to the appropriate page. Check the "I am not a robot" and click onto the "Submit" button. Then the download of the desired AFU tool will start automaticly.

@KedarWolf - AMIBCP = $5,000 and you must pay before you download/get emailed a link or copy of the tool etc.
For older leaked versions of this, you need to use google or PM

It the tool says "Multi tank ROMs’ ROM ID do not match platform ROM ID" after you try and flash an OFFICIAL CAP BIOS, not a modded one,… what gives?

I could not find anything on this error in Google.

@RobJoy :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Which "official" *.CAP BIOS for which specific mainboard from which manufacturer have you tried to flash by using which tool?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Can’t boot into BIOS and resetting jumper or removing the battery does nothing, Can still boot into Windows tho.

I think you flashed in wrong BIOS, as noted in my comments there, due to how you described something during your flash. Are you 100% certain you flashed the correct file?
Usually it would stop you, but sometimes there might be error/glitch and crossflash can happen