[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@Lost_N_BIOS I hope not aswell mate. I believe AMI should (Open-source) there bioses technologies and the vendors/manufacturers should aswell. Microsoft are even getting onboard with open-source software I never thought that day would come. :slight_smile:

AMI Make too much money from people to open source, some of their software is $5000-7000 per license. It would be nice, but “security” concerns I’m sure would never allow them to open up BIOS modifications on a wide-spread basis for all customers.

Is it possible to cross flash a bios from another mainboard vendor onto another motherboard from other vendor?

@davidm71 - yes, sometimes this is possible, if you have a programmer, or if forced in using various methods. Chances of it working are much lower than chances of it being possible
I’ve seen a several instances where this is 100% OK, but usually only on OEM type boards (HP, Packard etc), rarely on some mainstream boards and in those instances often certain things didn’t work

@Lost_N_BIOS If they can get Coffeelake working on a Z170 I am sure it’s possible with the right conditions though level of difficulty be in the advanced to nearly impossible level I’m sure. Thanks.

Board layout and trace layout differences between boards is usually the major reason this doesn’t work, aside from all the other hardware differences between each.

Hi guys! I think I finally found the right place for my issue. I would like to downgrade my ASUS ROG STRIX B360I bios to a lower version because I suspect the latest one is giving me issues with ram stability. The built in bios flash only allows me to upgrade and not downgrade.

Looking at the procedures form the first page, am I safe to use the same commands and AFU tools to perform for my motherboard? Any advice? Thanks!

@nnyymm - I assume you meant this board ASUS ROG STRIX B360-I Gaming?
Try the method >> “detected and published >here< by ValkyrieStar” If that does not work, try Ai Suite. /GAN is not suggested, unless you have a flash programmer in hand and a verified and valid backup made and confirmed as OK.
That method is for old BIOS/boards, and should not be used on new stuff, and only works with old AFU that’s probably incompatible with your BIOS anyway.
For modern AMD Asus boards, usually you will have to get flash programmer like CH341A and SOIC8 test clip w/ cable if BIOS is not in a socket (Soldered to board), if it’s in a socket you’ll want to get a U Type Flat Chip IC Extractor as well

Please wait if you’re reading this now, I may be able to help you tell the BIOS to allow you to downgrade, checking…

Hey! Never mind, this is Intel board, sorry, I thought it was AMD when I typed out above reply
You can use FPT, but you would have had to have made a BIOS backup previously with any of the older versions you may want to go to, so still stuck I guess, checking about my initial thought above, wait again
No luck in what I was thinking - what is the exact error message you get in EZ Flash?

@Lost_N_BIOS
Yep! That Intel board. Oh man, it looks like I’m out of luck. Why do manufacturer have to make bios downgrade so troublesome / difficult.

I was previously using a ASROCK AMD motherboard and downgrading and upgrading was a breeze. Ugh!

On EZ flash it just says that the bios is not compatible. Even though it definitely is. I guess they have a time checker something

What is the exact wording, show me an image if you can’t remember.

@Lost_N_BIOS
“selected bios is not a proper bios” It’s the standard message they show when you try to flash a bios earlier than the existing one.

I am able to flash the current bios over and over again with no fail.

Thanks @nnyymm - I’ll see if I can find this so you can disable via RU
Wait, I see this discussed at Asus forums, and they say they do not block downgrading. Please zip for me your stock BIOS and the mod BIOS you are trying to use, so I can check it, maybe it’s not proper BIOS and nothing to do with version. Or are you trying the stock unedited version (only renamed to flashback name)?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…-downgrade-bios
I do suggest against the method linked on the last page there, but there it is also

Or, you can try this flashback hard mod (First image) - https://community.hwbot.org/topic/184577…ffee-lake-cpus/
Also discussed and other images here (different mod point done too, as I noticed and asked, see this page and next) - [GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (62)

Send me a BIOS Dump, with Universal BIOS backup Toolkit preferably, if not then use AFU, I want to see if reflash and flashback modules match stock BIOS or are different in onboard BIOS

@Lost_N_BIOS

Do you know what effect the ‘-rewrite’ parameter has in regards to FPTW? How is ‘fptw64 -f bios.bin’ different than ‘fptw64 -rewrite -f bios.bin’??

Thanks

@Lost_N_BIOS
I got stuck in these type of mobos flashing the modded bios.
eg:ASUS M5A97 R2.0 adn M5A97 LE R2.0
They are all AMD platform,and the bios’s filename extension is CAP.So I use the way in the top of post but all failed.
So that means I need a SPI programmer???

@davidm71 - I believe rewrite erases the entire region first, then writes what you give it. Normal write operation only erases the bytes it sees as different and rewrites in the new data

plutomaniac can you clarify if I’ve understood that incorrectly - thanks!

@gloobox - those boards are also enough that they may accept mod BIOS directly through EZ flash, did you try already? If you tried and it failed, you’ll need to use some version and method of AFU or the AI Suite method
I’m pretty sure the Valkyriestar method linked on page one will work for these boards with that exact AFU in that guide. Download the attached tools in that guide, and then follow the last spoiler for the flashing method.

I thought so, this board has USB Flashback, so that is the best way for this model >> M5A97 R2.0
Be sure mod BIOS file says “Aptio capsule signed” in UEFITool, rename the mod BIOS to M5A97R20.CAP, put on root of FAT32 USB and then press and hold the BIOS_FLBK button for three seconds to invoke it.
Smaller USB Stick is better, 128MB-2GB often work best, but you may need to try a few before you find one that works. Test your USB by flashing stock BIOS with flashback method, then you’ll know if USB is compatible or not and if the file is causing the issue or not and not left wondering if the USB is the problem.
When doing the stock flash test, you also must rename the file to it’s flashback name M5A97R20.CAP

@Lost_N_BIOS

So assuming all my descriptors are all unlocked that -rewrite command will flash the whole SPI 100% ME included?

Reason I ask is I used a programmer to reflash my bios with all descriptors set to ‘FFF’. That will allow me to fptw flash the whole spi at my convenience?

Thanks

Yes

Thanks plutomaniac!

@davidm71 - yes , provided BIOS lock or SMI/SMM lock is not enabled blocking FPT write to BIOS region.
Since you have a programmer, you don’t have to test to confirm, but you can test without rewrite first to ensure you’re not given any error due to some blocked region.
If no error, then full -rewrite = flash programmer same/same

Ok thanks!

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thanks for your advise.
I try the old(2.00) and new(2.04) and middle version(2.01) of AISUITE but all failed(I even tried to shutdown the network before flashing following someone’s paradox )~And I try AFUDOS(3.xx) and AFUWINX64(5.05.4),failed too.
About USB Flashback(M5A97 LE R2.0 don’t get this function),it’s pretty picky,and I had rename the bios file to M5A97R20.CAP.It couldn’t be flashed the modded bios file all the time though changing many U disk but could be flashed the original bios file every time!
And owning to your contribution of “Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash”,I can flash all the ASUS Z77 series successfully just once in a while! The method of afu could not always work for flashing modded bios in some ASUS Z77 mobos I had texted.And AISUITE sometimes don’t works in ASUS Z77 mobos too.