[Guide] How to get M.2/PCIe connected Samsung AHCI SSDs bootable?

@Fernando ,
After some tests I report that finally the Sabertooth X99 BIOS V2001 does support SM951 AHCI 512 GB W10x64 booting.
No need to inject any BIOS module.
I finally succeed by doing a FRESH W10 x64 install GPT full pure UEFI options (from a w10 stick usb3 Fat32 GBT "rufused"):

SM951_AHCI_W10_bootable.PNG

I ignore why ONLY a FRESH install process succeed and all tries i have done by CLONING a i750 NVMe W10 x64 -> SM951 AHCI always (whatever the cloning tool is used) never boot.
Cloned image on SM951 AHCI never complete a boot and got a W10 blue screen with error message “INACESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE”.

EDIT by Fernando: Inserted screenshot resized (it was too wide).

@ 100PIER:
Thanks for your report. It is fine, that you succeeded at least.
Since I always prefer a “clean” OS installation and never have cloned any image onto another disk drive, I avoid such time consuming experience as you just had.

Off topic:

Please use the “Preview” option, before you submit any post, which contains an inserted image after having used the “Fullsize” option. It is often better to customize the image size within the Text box by replacing the word “fullsize” by something like “900px|450px”.

Guys, a suggestion … I have just read that using PCie expansion card from Addonics, you don’t need any drivers or special UEFI bios. You just need a bios to boot from AHCI…

Article.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/addonics-m-2…0-review_165632

I have not tested this, but am tempted to try if on my old Asus ROG Formula 775 DDR2 motherboard. :slight_smile:

@ Bor Greiner:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

This is a general requirement and doesn’t depend on the PCIe adapter card.
Furthermore the BIOS should support booting off the PCIe ports.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

After having read >this< post written by mosie I decided to do some tests myself trying to find a way how to get the Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD bootable with my old Z68 system.

Test Report:

1. At first I checked, whether the Samsung SM951 AHCI is bootable from scratch or not. The system used still the original ASUS P8Z68-V BIOS v3603, where I had simply added SoniX’s NvmeExpressDxE module according to my start post guide.
    Test result: Failure > The Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD has been neither detected by the BIOS nor shown as bootable drive by hitting the Boot Menu (F8).
  2. Then I added the “SAMSUNG_M2_DXE” module, which I had previously extracted from the latest ASRock Z97 Extreme6 BIOS 2.50, flashed the modded BIOS into the ASUS P8Z68-V mainboard BIOS chip and looked, what happened.
    Test result: Failure again! > I got the same result as within the first test.
  3. At last try I added another “SAMSUNG_M2_DXE” module, which had been offered >here< by our Forum member xelanaiznac.
    Test result: SUCCESS! > The Samsung SM951 AHCI booted flawlessly right after having powered on the computer.

Here is the proof:

Anvil-Z68_Win10_SM951-AHCI_inbox-AHCI.png

My conclusion:
It is no problem to boot off an M.2/PCIe connected NVMe or AHCI supporting SSD with an older Intel Chipset from 6-Series up and to get benefit from their extremely good performance, if the system uses a BIOS, where the related EFI BIOS modules have been added to the BIOS.

WoW

Perfect !
I can t wait to try it.

Have been trying to get a TS 140 bios to recognize the sm951 (ahci) to no avail. Any suggestions, I have looked everywhere and tried inserting the module.

@gshover :
If you really want help, you should give away the secrets of your system (motherboard/Chipset).

What is "TS 140" or have I missed something?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Sorry I was not specific and probably still am not. It is a Lenovo Think Server 140.

Thanks for this important information.
What have you already tried to get the Samsung SM951 AHCI working with your system?

I have read most of the posts in here and have tried to contact lenovo on this matter before attempting a solution using a bios mod. Unfourtunately, my configuration with the pcie adapter/M.2 configuration is not supported. (Of course). My OS recognizes the sm 951 no problem.

I have the sm 951 running as high speed storage on the pcie (2.0 x 4) slot on my motherboard. (I know it’s a bit of overkill but found it for a nice price)

I thought I found the answer in this forum and attempted bios modification for a fix. No fix. I appreciate any suggestions, if any.

Hello,

When I open the BIOS image it looks a bit different than you show.
As you can see the volume counting is a bit different. I have succesfully inserted the module though. But I’m not sure this look is right.

FYI: Motherboard: C216 WS from Asrock

@Crowned :

For me it looks fine. The "Volume" number is a little bit different, but the inserted Samsung M.2 module has gotten the correct place at the end of the Volume number, where the CSMCORE module is located.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Alright great,

Asrock Easy Flash (or something) should accept the modified BIOS file with no problem right?
Also, are there any risks of bricking my BIOS? (I really want to avoid this)

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

Probably yes, but you have to remove the UEFI header according >this< guide, before you are going to flash the modded BIOS.

Each BIOS modding may be risky, but in this case I am very confident, that you will not run into problems (provided, that you have done the BIOS modification the correct way).

I’ve succesfully flashed my BIOS with my customized ROM (with the added module). I didn’t have to remove the header because that security check got implemented one series above the one I currently have. So everything went easy and smooth.

I don’t have the SM951 yet but it will come in soon. I’m pretty sure it will work when I have it!

Thank you for your assistance, Fernando!

So for future record: C216 WS is easily flashed and works with this module. I’ll post an update when I have the SM951 itself.

My SM951 came in the mail yesterday. Damn that thing is small!

Still have to wait for my adapter though… -.-

Adapter came in aswell and I can confirm my SM951 works as boot device.
I’ve installed windows on it and stuff works fine.

Hi guys. Z97 mobos need this module for booting sm951 and delock pcie x4 m.2 adapter? Thanks.

@centaurium :

Usually Z97 systems neither need an additional BIOS module nor a PCIe>M.2 adapter to be able to boot off a Samsung SM951 SSD, but only a very few Z97 chipset mainboards let the SSD use 4 x PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando. And with this delock pcie x4 m.2 adapter? Fully working with sm951 in z97 mobo and booting?