[Guide] How to update the CPU microcodes on a non-UEFI Award/Phoenix BIOS

@molex

Hard to say what the problem is. Here are some verifications you can do:

- Did you verify it with MC Extractor before flashing?
- Did you restore the checksum by replacing the last module in the end?
- Are all your microcodes the same size as the originals? If no, verify with HxD that they are installed correctly.

Those are the most common problems.

@molex - And using wrong cbrom versions usually causes above errors if you find them, sometimes unavoidable and you must correct post ucode edit, but it’s easy to do.
If you need it done let me know - Actually, here, FKe w/ all microcodes updated to latest.

uCode-UPD.png

https://ufile.io/kabxu6o2

Nothing special needed here, however you do have to use certain version cbrom, others may work too, but I use 155 here (115 fails) This is what I did in this case, since some ucodes different sizes and 800h offsets used
I copied out ucode region from original BIOS, saved as ucode.bin (0xDC7E0h - 0xE2FDFh) 00-fill the 3 out of date ucodes in place, pasted in the new ones in original positions, saved file as NCPUCODE.BIN, marked it read only.
Using CBROM155 >> cbrom155.exe MA77UD32.FKe /nc_cpucode NCPUCODE.BIN
Using CBROM155 >> cbrom155.exe MA77UD32.FKe /LOGO extract (Saving as original name UD3_D.bmp)
Using CBROM155 >> cbrom155.exe MA77UD32.FKe /LOGO release
Using CBROM155 >> cbrom155.exe MA77UD32.FKe /LOGO UD3_D.bmp
Done Last three steps ^^ Always do something similar, with last module, to force recalculate of checksums

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks, all works nice!

I have problem to update microcode amd on a k8n pro sli, CBROM do nothing when launch CBROM k8npsli.10d /nc_cpucode NCPUCODE.BIN (empty) this for clear all microcode inside of the bios.
Who can help?

ps. There are greats peoples in this forum!

@pipes80

It seems your empty file may not be write protected. That would explain why it seems to do nothing. In fact, it probably did something but the result is the same as it was because of it. To understand how CBROM works in the background, i suggest you to read post #339.

Hope this help.

yes, I have try with write protect too

@pipes80

It is rare but sometimes there is an incompatibility between some motherboard’s bios and some Cbrom versions. Maybe you can try with another Cbrom version to see if it can work. As long as the version is not more than 1.55, it can work fine. Worth a try.

I have try many version before and after cbrom155.
-do you think to try a dos version?

@pipes80

You can try but i doubt it would make any difference at this point.

You can either try to find another program that can work with your bios or modify it manually with the HxD editor then restore the checksum by replacing the last module with cbrom155. That should work.

happy new year to all.
I have solved with hex editor for update two of four microcode amd k8.
I did not understand why for each action, for example by updating the nvmm module or the pci rom, cbrom creates an output file equal for example to the pci rom but compressed, it created an original temp module for me?

now I ask you if anyone knows where to download the agesa module for the 15 family of amd processors, in this case the 15h family includes athlon64 socket 939.
any links and suggestions are welcome. thank you

when try to create a ncpucode.bin I receive thiso error

Annotazione 2020-01-01 200156.png

@pipes80

i STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT modify the AGESA module(s) and here is why:

- Motherboards have at least 1 or 2 modules for AGESA and if you don’t get the same amount of modules as the original, you can brick the motherboard.
- Changing the AGESA module, in my experience, ALWAYS end up with glitch and problems. I know many people claim to have done it without seeing any problem. It only means that they didn’t found them YET. Some problem are not obvious at all. Here are what can usually happen (one or many of them):

- Overclock don’t work anymore. You can’t notice this if you don’t overclock.
- Memory amount is wrongly reported in the Bios. Easy to miss in the Bios.
- Cool & Quiet don’t work anymore. VERY hard to notice.
- Video card software report the wrong data and in worse cases cause BSOD. Problem can easily be wrongly attributed to something else.

If you still want to experiment with it, i understand you. I did the same. But be prepared for it and keep a working Bios with the original AGESA for when it will go wrong. Because it will almost surely will.

in this bios there are 4 microcode version but cbrom read only 2 version.
I found this version with hex editor and separate from many FF and tt.bin

Notes: Fernando move this to it’s own guide page if you deem it necessary. I found it useful plus easier than hex or bios splitting, with lower risk of brick as well.

UPDATE MICROCODE WITHOUT UBU FULL CHANGES OR A FULL BIOS FLASH by Scholar53 (Tay), VmWare Contributors, and Jacob Klein.

I don’t have the patience to hex edit or take brick level risks on my laptop bios so I looked for a way to update CPU microcode on Intel or AMD processors, all without the known complexities of firmware/microcode work. This method is mostly automated and very easy to keep up to date per new releases!

First, I follow the guide written here which I will reword for our own use and longevity should it ever get taken down.

https://flings.vmware.com/vmware-cpu-mic…afzqswiq7lwlnea

Download the tool from VMWare.

The AMD codes are listed at these links. They must be included within the vmware tool directory as it is batch based and looks for all possible codes (Intel/AMD).

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ker…crocode_amd.bin

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel…_amd_fam15h.bin

At the moment we know where Intel codes are on Github or on Intel’s web site for Linux microcode (search intel.com) There are options here for Intel users with Windows.

Extract the tool from VmWare, copy the AMD code downloads/extracts into the same directory. For Intel search out your codes on Github or with UBU (from win-raid.com). You can find your CPU microcode list by using your bios .bin files against the MCE.exe (MCE.db) binaries from UBU. They can be found within the UBU package elsewhere on the win-raid.com forum. With the list of codes place the files into a directory for later use. To make the batch file work we use the vmware package to convert all Intel codes into a single .dat file. It appears AMD codes are already in a usuable .dat file, if not do same as Intel codes. You must include the AMD files when working Intel as it is hard coded into the .bat script to look for them, so they are included in the vmware file “install.bat” from the “cpumcupdate2.1.zip” package.

Jacob created/maintains the original tool and this small .net app is used to combine Intel .bin microcode files into a single .dat called microcode.dat.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgP0NBEuAPQRpdoWT_3G3XCdotPmWQ downloads the .net app for converting multiple microcode .bin files into microcode.dat

Run “Intel Microcode.dat Converter.exe” at this step then move microcode.dat into the same directory as the extracted cpumcupdate2.1 files and the install.bat file.

As admin on file (or right-click and run ‘as admin’) execute install.bat The results will return. “Install completed with code 0. If no error was displayed then the install was successful.
Press any key to continue . . .” Post other errors for troubleshooting as demanded.

Also noted was the development of another script to convert Intel .bin files into various .dat files including a single for updates. That script is here on GitHub

https://github.com/NewEraCracker/bin2dat

Seeking: Successful means to extract bios post update via this method to check if all codes were updated, and not just the first or a ‘few’ of them. Some bios codes have updates but bios release configs sometimes forget the older codes, or less vulnerable ones, etc. We’d like ALL codes updated for advancement including security and 'just to have correct work on our processors".

Hi Mies,

it happened i have same problem here and found this page. i tried to download your mod rom but it says file not exist anymore. anybody can help please ? i am currently running E5430 with Gigabyte EP43-S3L, already upload with microcode ROM from delided website, however it seems the processor running VERY SLOW, i just finished install windows 7 ultimate for 5 hours !! :slight_smile: and no windows 10 installation successful, stuck on the windows logo from boot drive. please help. thank you.

brgds,
Suwarna

Hi, after almost 3 years I’m back!
Unluckly I abandoned the project and now I’m starting again working on the acer aspire 5935g
I took the bios you modded (see pag 2) but the folder "window" is empty, so I put the file .FD from the folder DOS into the Acer utility to update the bios. The procedure was ok, but when I installed the new CPU (an Q9100) the notebook wont boot
Do you still have that stuff?

@Haskeer

All i have is what you downloaded in post #32. The file .FD is meant to be used in DOS so if Acer utility is in the Bios then maybe that is your problem. If it’s not the problem, double check to be sure your new CPU is supported by the Bios.

@Suwarna - The post you quoted (#22), has the BIOS he modified attached, and it downloads without issue
Win7 5 hour install issue is not at all related to CPU microcodes

@Phoenix48
The cpu isn’t supported by BIOS, my aim is to replace an useless microcode (not the one of T6400) with the microcode of the Q9100.
Maybe you just updated the microcode already there