[Guide] How to update the CPU microcodes on a non-UEFI Award/Phoenix BIOS

No its not. I also opened up the first bios file you posted and found the microcodes in there unencrypted.

what software used?
i used HxD

You have to do it that way:

DellBiosFilename.exe /writeromfile
DellBiosFilename.exe /writehexfile
DellBiosFilename.exe /writehdrfile

i.e.
L702X_A19.exe /writeromfile
L702X_A19.exe /writehexfile
L702X_A19.exe /writehdrfile

Thats what I usually use.

FYI: I was able to get a fresh copy of the bios file by running your executable file and then choosing not to flash. Of course on my system that would be bad. Then look in the appdata hidden users folder for the rom file.

His bios didn’t respond to writeromfile or writehdrfile. Didn’t try writehexfile.

Yes, you’re right. Here also no success.
Good night!

I’m dying of sleep, however I found the bios in appdata, tomorrow I hope to understand how to integrate these blessed codes … thank you so much! Good night!

By the way I just checked Dells website for my laptop from a few years ago and got to give them props as they did the work for me! New bios as of last week!

lucky you…I do not hope so, but I hope to be able to make a custom bios with only the microcode updated … I hope you can help me, I trust you

Can you please explain me in simple words how to merge microcodes into bios using HxD?

Hello,

- open the current microcode with HxD,
- open the BIOS file with HxD,
- open the new microcode with HxD,
- mark the first line (or the half) & copy it,
- go to BIOS file → paste in "search for hex"
- if you find it, go to new MC → mark all (remember the length p.e. A20 or 1000),
- mark the length (p.e. A20 or 1000) in BIOS file, beginning from hex you found,
- copy from all marked new MC file … into BIOS file,
- save it.

Now you have to patch the checksum of the new whole BIOS file.
Maybe with UEFITool v0.22.4 …?

• First, be sure your old microcode file and the new microcode file are the same size (usually something between 6k to 12k) They almost are always the same size but not always and if they aren’t, then take extra care to not copy over anything else or let left over there in the following steps.

- Open your bios, your old cpu microcode, and you new cpu microcode with HxD

- Use the search fonction to find in your bios where is the old microcode (It will become blue)

- Replace it with your new microcode. Then save.

- Because your bios is UEFI, open your bios with UEFITool to restore the checksum of the GUID where your microcodes are by clicking “rebuild”. The GUID can usually be found by double clicking on the errors at the bottom. In the worst case, if you can’t find the specific GUID because Dell bios are sometimes difficult to work with, then click rebuild for all the errors in the bios. Then save.

I don’t think there is any need to use UEFITool here because it has issues with his bios structure. Plus the microcodes are in there individually so no need for checksum correction if I’m not mistaken.

@davidm71

Maybe you are right. I didn’t look into his file in details so maybe his bios don’t need that. But better safe than sorry and it won’t hurt to do it. At worst, a rebuild will do nothing at all. His bios has enough errors in it as it is and i just wanted to be sure that an other error won’t be added on top of them.

Thanks to everyone for the collaboration, I extracted the old microcodes and downloaded the new microcodes from intel, I converted them both in .bin format, the new microcodes are bigger than the old ones of about 1kb, is that correct?
And as a result they are slightly longer as hex

Hello dexter,

generally they should be not bigger as before, only if they are 2-in-1 Crossplattform.
Par example: two old, one with platform 0 (hex 2000) and another with platform 1 (hex 2000) -> the new 2-in-1 with platform 10 (0+1) (hex 4000).

Please verify your change with MCE.

best regards

As they are individually placed in his bios file I think the ‘Safest’ tool would be to use Pheonixtool to reintegrate them with the no slick option. I also think someone should reach out to Coderush about this bios file and the errors and warnings UefiTool throws upon opening his bios file. If I was Dexter I would go to Coderush’s Github page and open up an issue.

My Cpu is 206A7 it seems updated!
Uefitool gives me no errors with the bios downloaded from dell and extracted from temp folder
also the new bios with updated microcodes gives no error on uefitool

OldMicrocodes.jpg

NewMicrocodes.jpg

First of all, be sure you have the right microcodes. I say this because it is rather rare that they are not the same and when it happens, it is worth a second look to be sure. One of the most common mistake is to choose the right CPUID but not the same platform number. If everything is alright and you are sure you got the right one then you can proceed but be sure to not copy over an other one. I didn’t look into your bios with HxD but sometimes microcodes dont have any space between each other so be sure to not copy over an other CPU microcode. Other than that, you should be fine.

Because your new one is bigger, i now STRONGLY recommend to “rebuild” your GUID where the microcodes are with UEFITool after you are finished with HxD. A change in size increase the chance of a checksum error somewhere without a rebuild.

@davidm71

I completely agree with you, there are way too much errors in bad places in this bios. I was surprised to know when i opened it that it is a working one. Good idea to see Coderush about this.