[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

Zitat von serge_p im Beitrag #920
Thanks for your reply, XPLives!

Motherboard is Asus Z97-A. Actually I don't need physical IDE connection, only IDE compatible mode for old devices. And I planning to use AHCI in external PCI-E SATA card for SSD drives (Marvell chipset).

I used it for physical access to floppy sectors (old software). There is only one way to do this on modern systems - LS120 :slight_smile: Usb floppy does not allow to do it

But I don’t know the same quality SATA optical drive as Yamaha F1 for recording audio disks

Yeah that MB has no IDE controller and only pure Intel SATA controllers.

If you’re using the SATA IDE Compatible Mode (with IDE to SATA adapter) and your LS-120 works then report back where you got the adapter and Name/Brand.

USB floppy can read the floppy sector by sector using any Hex Editor like HxD.

Only thing USB floppy cannot read are copy protected sectors or non IBM formatted floppies.

I doubt the LS-120 can read copy protected sectors better than a real MFM Floppy Disk Drive and as far as I know it can’t read copy protected disks for backing up. Most likely the same issue as USB floppy drives reading copy protected disks.

A Catweasel PCI might be able to read the copy protected content on a modern MB with a PCI slot.

You don’t specify what this old software is you’re trying to read. Any USB floppy can read 1.44MB and 720KB floppy disks just like the LS-120. As far as I know 1.44MB are usually not copy protected and I have never seen any. There were some 720KB disks that did have copy protection.

Since you’re using the IDE to SATA adapters and you should have 6 Intel SATA ports I don’t see the reason why you will need a PCIe SATA controller.
There will plenty of ports for you to hook up to your SATA hard drive.

Also if you do manage to get a PCIe SATA controller to work on that MB let us know how you did it. Every PCIe SATA controller I tried seems to not detect in the BIOS so it can’t boot off it.

The Yamaha F1 you mentioned are you just burning CD-R music CDs? If that’s all you are doing then any SATA Blu-ray optical drive or DVD optical drive will work. Both these drives have CD read/write capability and the Blu-ray model has DVD burning capability as well. So getting a Blu-ray SATA optical drive usually gives you a 3 in 1 optical drive burner/reader. Using a program like Nero should do the job and selecting 1x or 2x write speeds or whatever is the slowest will usually burn the disc just fine. Just don’t use the fastest write speed and you can also use CD-RW discs for multiple writes compared to CD-R.

Adapter is st-lab s-240
http://www.sunrichtech.com.hk/ProductShow.aspx?Mid=1&pid=139

Yes. But ls-120 can do this job :slight_smile: I can install ‘System Commander’ manager from floppies with protected sectors with ls-120 and can’t do this with USB floppy

Thanks for the advice. But this is a PCI card. There is another problem with PCI audio card. For trouble-free operations of an old PCI audio card, there should be no other PCI cards in other slots

Here is the complete list of devices
1. WD SATA HDD
2. WS SATA HDD (storage mirror)
3. HITACHI SATA HDD (storage mirror)
4. Yamaha F1 IDE via IDE-SATA converter (audio CD writter)
5. Plextor IDE via IDE-SATA converter (audio cd recording control)
6. Sony SATA DVD recorder
7. LS-120 via IDE-SATA converter
8. SSD1 SATA
9. SSD2 SATA

ok, i will write here later

Yes I do

No :slight_smile: It’s a long story about recording audio discs… Pretty briefly - Yamaha gives the lowest level of recording errors and maximum audio disk storage time (decades)

I upgraded my computer by changing the motherboard from ASUS P5Q to ASROCK Z77 extreme4. The processors from Intel Xeon X5470 were replaced with Intel Xeon E3-1245 v2. I have two SSD removable drives with Windows 10 and Windows XP operating systems. The transfer of Windows 10 went without problems, while in Windows XP I can not install AHCI drivers (the disk is now in IDE mode. During the installation of AHCI drivers, a message appears - an error was sent during the installation of the device, access was denied. With the previous disc (ASUS P5Q) such there were no problems. AHCI drivers come from the ASROCK support page - Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP (v11.2.0.1006) .zip. Maybe someone has an idea to successfully install the drivers?

Wykonałem modernizację komputera zmieniając płytę główną z ASUS P5Q na ASROCK Z77 extreme4. Wymienione zostały procesory z Intel Xeon X5470 na Intel Xeon E3-1245 v2. Mam dwa dyski wymienne SSD z systemami operacyjnymi Windows 10 i Windows XP. Przeniesienie systemu Windows 10 poszło bez problemów, natomiast w Windows XP nie mogę zainstalować sterowników AHCI (dysk pracuje teraz w trybie IDE. Podczas instalacji sterowników AHCI pojawia się komunikat - wysyąpił błąd podczas instalacji urządzenia, odmowa dostepu. Przy poprzedniej płycie (ASUS P5Q) takich problemów nie było. Sterowniki AHCI pochodzą ze strony wsparcia ASROCK - Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v11.2.0.1006).zip. Może ktoś ma pomysł na skuteczne zainstalowanie sterowników?

Zrzut5.jpg

Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v11.2.0.1006).zip (623 KB)

@Kris5112 :
I have moved your post into this better matching thread about how to integrate the Intel AHCI driver into a Windows XP image.
Since the Intel 7-Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller is natively supported by the original Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL, there is no need for you to insert the mod+signed variant of the driver.
A problem may arise during the XP installation due to the missing/wrong ACPI support settings.
Please read the start post of this thread.
Good luck!

I solved this problem by adding two lines to the iaAHCI.inf files:

PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_1E02 & CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel (R) 7 Series / C216 Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controler - 1E08"
PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_1E02 & CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel (R) 7 Series / C216 Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controler - 1E00"

The drivers could not be installed because Windows did not recognize the chipset and installation she was interrupted.

After making these changes, the drivers were installed without any problem.

Floppy_new_2(v11.2.0.1006).rar (542 KB)

@Kris5112 :
Thanks for your report.
Your modded iaAHCI.inf contains just 2 additional names for the related Controllers, but no additional HardwareIDs, which were missing within the original file.
That is why I still do not really understand why you were not able to get XP installed in AHCI mode onto your Z77 chipset system by using the original Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.
Please post the exact names and the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller while running Win10 and XP. You get them by running the Device Manager, expanding the section "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and choosing the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".

I’m sending screenshots:

WINDOWS 10.jpg

WINDOWS XP.jpg

@Kris5112 :
Thanks for the screenshots, which verify, that it is the original (and not your modified) driver, which has been properly installed.
I suspect, that you previously have tried to get the Intel AHCI driver installed while the on-board Intel SATA Controller was running in "IDE" mode.
Proof:

DEV_1E08 and DEV_1E00 are the DeviceIDs of the Intel 7-Series Chipset SATA IDE Controller, whereas the DeviceIDs of the related AHCI Controller are DEV_1E02 (Desktop PCs) resp. DEV_1E03 (Mobile PCs).

@fernando…(or anyone who understands the issues) following your instructions re installing XP on a newer mobo (Asus B360M). D/l’d the file: Universal Intel MSM Drivers+Software Set v8.9.8.1005 mod+signed by Fernando and copied files for F6 install to a floppy. I was sure to take the files from the sub-directory marked winall/drivers. Inserted XP install disk w/SP3 slipstreamed into CD drive and booted.

I should state that I have only the XP disk connected to the system, the W7 disk and the W10 disk are both disconnected.

Everything went swimmingly, hit F6 then S when install disk stopped to ask about storage drivers. Selected A352 from list (for Asus B360 mobo) and the installer seemed happy to install the iaStor.sys driver. Hit <enter> to allow install to proceed to point where I could select R for repair rather than doing an install repair. Never got there.

I got a BSOD with an 0x000000A5 stop error and it mumbles about the ACPI being not being fully compliant in the BIOS. This A5 stop error has been happening all along, well before I tried your F6 drivers. Anyway, it suggests hitting F7 at the screen where it enquires about storage drivers and that will disable ACPI temporarily. Lies!!! :slight_smile:

OK…I recall in your instructions to turn ACPI on but there is nothing in my AMI Aptio ver 2.20.1271 BIOS that specifically addresses turning ACPI on or off. There is a section where I can turn on/off the different devices that can bring it out of sleep. I made sure they are all on.

I am guessing that XP SP3 is so primitive it does not have an APCI driver that is advanced enough to recognize that the ACPI in BIOS is well advanced over its state.

So, I rebooted without install disk and floppy and let it run. I got a boot screen that lists XP and Win7. Must have been from an older install because my more recent boot screen is for W10 and W7, with no XP listed.

I selected XP and let it run. I immediately get an error about the boot.ini file but it runs past and stops dead with an error:
‘load needed DLLs for kernel’. A preliminary Google check suggested running chkdsk, which I did from the W7 install and it reported everything to be kosher.

I may have, at one time, converted the XP disk to be non-bootable. Don’t remember but it makes sense not to have it bootable if the system won’t run it. Gives me an idea, I will boot into W7, load a partition manager and see if it can tell if the disk is bootable.

I am thinking of testing the MBR etc, externally with DISM but this sounds like there are files in SP3 that don’t like the mobo chipset, or something.

Finally, I noticed for the first time in BIOS, under the SATA section, there is an alternative mode than Windows AHCI. It is the Intel RST mode and I tried it. All it does is tell me to insert a bootable disk. If I do, like XP install disk, it runs it but it will not boot from the XP disk. Makes no difference, still get the A5 stop error.

This suggests that maybe the XP disk is not bootable.

@gordo999

ask here
Windows XP 32-Bit and Server 2003 32-Bit on Modern Hardware

@gordo999 :
The 0x000000A5 stop error is caused by a not matching ACPI setting resp. by the usage of a not compliant ACPI driver during the XP Setup and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Please follow the advice of infuscomus .
By the way: If you want, that I get notified about your post, you should use my correct nickname (with a capital letter "F" at the beginning).

@infuscomus…thanks.

@Fernando…will do…thanks again.

Thank God I stumbled upon this forum via a google search as I’ve already spent a considerable amount of time and money trying to solve this problem…(posting on AW Arena forums & taking my PC into local shops)

Hopefully I’m posting in the best thread! This forum is slightly congested.

@Fernando

I am struggling to find a WIN XP 32bit AHCI driver for my laptop that will work -Alienware 17 (this is the R1 version) with the older Haswell chipset.

There very well may be just a simple solution to this and somewhere I’m doing something wrong -I mean its a very popular laptop i’m using. The AHCI driver I used is from driverpack solutions online. And the txtsetup.oem file I am using is from the RAID driver. (only one I could find).

I’ve tried both an integrated nLite CD I made and also a USB stick with a Floppy A Disk using the F6 command. No luck. (Using an EVO 860 SSD)

I have the BIOS mode set correctly and I’m choosing the right driver from the txtsetup.oem summary to my knowledge. All the files are in the root directory of the floppy disk and the files seem to load until I get stopped at the bsod.

I Also went ahead and took my system to a reputable computer shop who said after finding custom AHCI drivers online they were unable to load them correctly due to not having the exact hardware ID (DEV_8C3A)

I need this AHCI mode in order to utilize the trim feature of my SSD as I am also running Win 10 in a dual boot config.

I have done things much the same as in these tutorials over the years for other systems and have had good success.

As you say:
(Maybe because Intel didn’t write the needed Hardware ID’s into the related information file (with the suffix .INF). This is the reason why the latest Intel AHCI drivers cannot be installed onto AHCI systems with an ICH8R, ICH8M, ICH9R or ICH10R Southbridge).
Do I need a modified .inf/.oem file?

Anyway, any insight would be valued greatly!

I would be more then happy to send you a donation.

-Jack

@JAXIMUS :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Please read carefully the start post of this thread. Then you will find the solution for your problem.
To find out the matching AHCI driver and Controller name you should know the HardwareIDs of the on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller. You can check it from within Win10: Expand the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, right-click onto the listed AHCI Controller and then choose the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs". Interesting are only the VendorID (shouldd be VEN_8086 for Intel) and the DeviceID (DEV_XXXX).
I recommend to integrate the mod+signed "Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006", because it supports all HardwareIDs of all Intel SATA AHCI Controllers.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I really can’t thank you enough! Everything worked! I had to put this all aside for months and now I’ve got my system going!

Tremendous thanks, I’ve sent my donation.

Cheers :wink:

I have a question, i have a intel ahci driver(version 11.2.0.1006) it can work on a xp, but when i try to integrating into a windows 2003 disc, nlite says it’s a pnp driver, can i use this driver + your txtsetup.oem to make it to txtmode?
(this driver comes with iaAHCI.cat, iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.sys)

also i learned to install xp on 300-Series Chipsets but how to fix the usb problam?

@xiaox :
If you want to follow my guide, which is within the start post of this thread, you should use one of the textmode drivers, which are linked there.
Regarding the USB driver problem I recommend to look into >this< thread.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The text mode driver needed here is an empty / corrupted archive - I hope it can be made to work again - I’ve made some progress but do need to install successfully with AHCI mode activated in the BIOS. Please fix the downloader - When I get a full successful install there will be a donation !

>Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by me (done at 01/03/2019)< (>MIRROR<)
Here is the link to an appropriate 64bit textmode drivers for all Intel AHCI and RAID Controllers from ESB2 and ICH7R/M up to the latest Intel 300-Series and X399 Chipsets):
>Universal 64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by me (done at 01/03/2019)<

@fraz :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I doubt, that the offered driver archives are corrupted and suspect, that your used WinRAR tool is absolutely outdated (has to be v5.xx).
Regatds
Dieter (alias Fernando)