[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

Hello there. I’m trying to integrate the AHCI/SATA drivers for my ICH8 chipset and install Windows XP on my Dell Optiplex 745.

Let me just start by saying that I’m amazed by how far I can backtrack your posts in other forums as well on this single issue.

So, when I try to slipstream the correct drivers, I cannot found a matching one for my hardware. This is inside the device manager on Windows 7:

http://i.imgur.com/NxLlhXj.png

I believe that the one used is the 2820, since the motherboard have 4 sata ports (0, 1, 4 e 5), and bios “recognizes” 2 e 3, but say that they are not present.

Can you point me in the right direction?

@minervamcdonalds According to the PCI ID repository (pci.ids) the DEV_2820 and DEV_2825 controllers are named “82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA Controller [IDE mode]” resp. " 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH) 2 port SATA Controller [IDE mode]" Notice that both of these controllers are set to IDE mode, so you have to set the mode to AHCI or Normal or whatever it might be called (i’ll take a wild guess based on the manual for the optiplex pc that you have “SATA Operation” currently set to “Legacy”).

@minervamcdonalds :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
IntiMD is right - your on-board Intel SATA Controller ius currently running in IDE mode. If you don’t want to change this setting, you should not try to integrate any Intel AHCI/RAID driver. Otherwise you may get a BSOD during the OS installation.
My guide is only valid for the integration of an Intel AHCI or RAID driver, but this requires, that the on-board Intel SATA Controller is running in “AHCI” or “RAID” mode. As long as the Intel SATA Controller has been set to “IDE”, it can only be managed by the MS IDE driver named PCIIDE.SYS, which is part of the Windows OS. In this case the integration of any Intel AHC or RAID driver into the XP image would be a big mistake.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

So, I’ve been posting on reddit about, and finally managed to install XP.

This were my finds on the process:

• Using an untouched ISO (Dell or vanilla), got a BSOD;
  • Trying to slipstream AHCI drivers with Nlite, got “iaStor.sys is corrupted” message;
  • Sata operation modes “Normal” or “Legacy” on BIOS seems to have no effect at all.
  • Driverpacks integration of Mass Storage via DPBase got me a BSOD.
Device manager currently shows the ICH8 chipset on IDE mode. I honestly have no idea why it was so difficult to get XP on this machine. Every single video and text about it shows that XP installs just fine on it.

@minervamcdonalds :
It is fine, that you finally were able to get XP installed, but it would be interesting to find out the reasons for your previous failures.

Which was the exact error message?

Which driver (please post the exact name of the package) did you integrate and which one of the listed Intel SATA Controllers did you check?

Within which BIOS section did you look for the SATA mode settings?

To find that out, we need your answers.

Let’s do it. Dell Optiplex 745. Bios version is 2.1.0. Default options, and SATA Operation is set to NORMAL, as seen here.

Bios was downgraded from 2.6.6 (latest) for a 2006 one just in case. Don’t know if that had any impact with the success of the install.

F6 drivers sourced from Fernando’s guide and here.

Untouched Dell Windows XP Pro SP3 image, no AHCI drivers integrated error: https://i.imgur.com/JhAvo0M.jpg
The exact same error occurred with the following driver integrated: https://i.imgur.com/8rMkHPY.png
The error happens after the “press F6… press F2” etc.

I couldn’t find in your modded drivers a matching one for my hardware, DEV_2820 or DEV_2825.

About the “iaStor.sys file is corrupted”, my bad. Was trying to use 64-bit drivers.

As we already told you, these are the DeviceIDs of Intel SATA Controllers, which are running in IDE mode (and not in AHCI mode). None of the drivers, which are listed within the start post of this thread, are usable, if the on-board Intel SATA Controller is running in IDE mode.
So all your tries to find a usable F6 driver were useless and cost you wasted time. You should have taken an untouched XP SP3 image as source.

Ah, I thought that they were capable of running in AHCI if the correct drivers were provided.
But that doesn’t explain why the untouched Dell image got me that error, no? The fact that the untouched image couldn’t install was what got me into this rabbit hole.

@minervamcdonalds :
The error message you have gotten while trying to install the OS off an untouched XP SP3 image had nothing to do with a missing or wrong textmode driver. It was obviously caused by an ACPI compatibility problem, which could have easily been solved during the installation procedure by hitting the F5 or F7 button (when prompted to hit F6) and choosing another computer type regarding ACPI support.

Will try that once I get home and tell you the results.

No luck. Tried both F5 and F7.
With F5, selecting C-step i486 (first option) got me the same errors. Selecting "Other" ended the installation, for the system has no floppy from where to search drivers from.
With F7, just the same error again.

If storage isn’t the problem, why does DP Mass Storage integration successfully installed XP?

Man, now I want to know. Badly.

@minervamcdonalds :
Which was the exact error message/code you got?
From which device (optical or USB) did you boot the XP Setup? I recommend to boot off a CD/DVD and not off an USB Flash Drive.

That same that I’ve already posted. https://i.imgur.com/JhAvo0M.jpg

USB. I ordered two CD-RW online a couple days ago, thinking that the problem could be exactly the USB flash boot. Once they arrive, I’ll test again.
edit: The DVD drive connects via SATA, too. I wonder if that will be a problem.

That same that I’ve already posted. https://i.imgur.com/JhAvo0M.jpg.

The "STOP: 0x0000007b" code is typical for a loaded/integrated textmode driver, which doesn’t match the connected hardware. Such error message is impossible, if you boot off an absolutely "clean" OS image. I bet, that you didn’t use an untouched original Windows XP SP3 image.

@Fernando
If he is using a USB flash drive to try to do the install it would explain the 7B BSOD - you need a RAMdisk driver like Firadisk or WinVBlk for that to work.
It would also need to be a native USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 won’t work at all for XP install (as I discovered)

@infuscomus :
Yes, I have already given to minervamcdonalds the advice to boot off an optical drive instead.

The errors were persistent across all images that I’ve tested, all of the english ones sourced from Archive.org. The brazilian portuguese that I’m actually using was from another site, but again, behaved exactly as the others.

And you have found the answer. Easy2boot got me the install not because of the drivers, but it actually loaded the image to RAM. Just tested it again, this time using no drivers at all, and the installer didn’t crashed.

The Optiplex 745 have only 2.0 ports, so this wouldn’t be the cause. It’s no surprise since the first Windows to support USB 3.0 natively was Windows 8. Vista or 7 would have also failed to install to 3.0 ports.

Hi,

I’ve got an XP32 install on an X99 board but the device manager won’t show the CPU’s with the + sign to expand with all the cores and threads__everything else in the install is good apart from the CPU not showing in the device manager. Some advice is requested on how to overcome this - Thank you.

@fraz

you might have installed the single processor HAL - what is listed under computer in device manager?

@infuscomus :
Hi,
I tried ACPI Multi-Processor & ACPI PC - or similar - The board is AsRock X99 OC Formula 3.1 - i7 5820 K - The install is XP PRO 32 - Just the processor is missing now. I’ve done X64 XP (perfect)___but this X32 (X86)__is proving difficult__I’m really stuck at the moment at the final hurdle before imaging.

I do have Vista 32 install and XP64 if it is possible to “rip” the drivers out of the installs??? - I’m no expert so good advice is needed = Thanks
ACPI Multi Processor PC is listed under computer