[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

@ArcticLight
hmm all very interesting although i am not at all familiar with dual booting with clover for osx, i note a simple web search returns many results for the boot0af error including this one.

https://hackintoshmumbai.com/how-to-fix-the-boot0af-error-for-your-hackintosh/

i also note that some users have said they have fixed it by wiping the drive and re creating the partition tables.

while others have fixed it by removing other expansion cards and other non essential hardware.

it’s been my experience that the nvme needs to be in GPT or it won’t work.

i would still be interested to try a windows dvd as an install option.

i know you have said you’ve copied the driver … to all 6 locations i mentioned in my pinned post?

i also note this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-do-you-fix-boot0af-error.109717/

i’m sorry i can’t be of much help with this perhaps try over on the various hackintosh forums you may have more luck there.

@sibliss , I gave up on getting the USB media to boot from Clover. (for now)

I installed Win10 on an empty SSD, then started it up, prepped it for UEFI using (bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi) (same way I got my Win10 on my SSD (MBR) to boot from Clover menu), ran Sysprep, cloned it to the empty NVME drive (tried both GPT/MBR). No luck. Booting into the system reserved partition just freeze the computer when on MBR, and gives me the good old boot0af:error when on GPT. Choosing to boot into the EFI windows partition gives me a Windows Recovery light blue screen with an error saying my PC needs to be repaired, and that C:\Windows\System32\winload.efi is missing. Except is it not, the file is definitely there.

So Clover is able to boot my old Win10 from my SSD (MBR), Clover is able to detect sysprepped Win10 on my NVME drive (MBR/GPT) but unable to boot it.

I thought the cloning should work, even if more work. But now the opposite, cloning even more work. And does not work. Maybe best to find out how to boot from USB install media. But how… :frowning:

Spent two whole days on this now. And I fear I have many more to come before this is working. If ever…

Today I also tried booting via Clover; the sysprepped SSD which I installed a fresh copy of Win10 on (and made the clone copy to NVME drive from), just to see how that worked.

Well the booting started fine from Clover, but after a while an error message popped up declaring that "Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computers hardware". That is strange since the install was made on the same computer. Anyway, this leads me to the fact that; even if did get the Win10 cloned copy on the NVME to boot from Clover, I would likely be face with this same error.

I am guessing it could have something to do with how Clover is setup. Since Clover is emulating UEFI BIOS. I have no idea how to pursue this now, but will try to do some more research.

For those of you who have cloned the win10 install onto the NVME drive, what was your procedure? Clone whole disk, or only partitions? What software used? Did you get the NVME drive to boot without adding bcdboot mod? (bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi) What clover version used?

ArcticLight

"Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computers hardware"
This can mean few things :
1) Not enough space to create necessary hidden partitions or copy installer files
2) Installer drive wasn’t initiated via Clover EFI, but via BIOS/Legacy

For Clover to boot your Windows, you basicly need a EFI partition (the one usually created as hidden one during installation, you have to copy files from that to a seperate partition on your NVMe).
I did not tested this with hidden EFI partition files dropped on OS partition (can’t say if it can work).

Windows needs to have UEFI files/support (of course).

I got it working, finally!

After having tried so many things, I exited Clover menu (on my allready running SSD Clover install), and entered UEFI "Boot Maintenance Manager", and "Boot From file", and then chose my USB stick, and entered EFI/BOOT menu and entered the file boot64x.efi. Voila! The USB stick booted using EFI and I was able to install onto the NVME drive.

Getting good speeds on my old system. 1800MB/s read 1600MB/s write.

So a good tips for those running into the boot0af:error when trying to load the Win10 USB stick from clover, is what I did:

1. Exit Clover (bottom right menu)
2. Boot Maintenance Manager
3. Boot From file
4. Choose your USB stick
5. Choose EFI/BOOT/boot64x.efi

Voila!

1 Like

Hi all,
I have a pretty old config M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 + Phenom II X6 which works alright for me. I also have 3 SATA HDDs (Seagate 10 TB + Seagate 2 TB + Samsung 750 GB) and external USB 3.0 Toshiba 3 TB. Since I have lots of SATA drives already and a free PCI-E x4 slot, I’ve decided to purchase a PCI-E SSD rather than SATA one. Then I read that the my old BIOS motherboard cannot boot from it and got frustrated. Then I found this topic. And finally purchased ADATA PCI-E SSD. I did everything in accordance with instructions and… Clover doesn’t seem to be able to boot. I mean, I see all my HDDs and USB drives in Clover menu, but no matter which one I choose, USB stick with Windows setup or HDD with Windows already installed, it just goes black infintely and I have to restart PC and boot from HDD. Again, the main menu of Clover works alright, I see my drives and settings and everything but once I select any drive and press Enter, it’s a dead end. I tried to copy all other drivers from “off” folder – it didn’t help. I’ve tried to download a very old version of Clover where 32 and 64 folders are separated like in the instruction – it didn’t help either. Do you have any suggestions for me?

UPDATE: I’ve tried to create a USB bootable stick using Media Creation Tool and now it says Error: No mapping returned from cdboot.efi when I select it in Clover menu.

@marsIANin1991

Hi and welcome to the forum, i appoligise for the slow reply i have been a away for a few days.
I have that same motherboard in one of my computers and it works fine, please share which pcie adapter card are you using and or the model of the ssd.
Are you using any other pci cards such as graphics cards or other ?
Remember please only copy the nvme driver from the off directory to the other directories. there are 6 directories in total.
Please be sure to run the BDU on the same computer you are trying to boot.
Ensure that when booted to a normal windows drive you can see and use the nvme drive as a normal storage device (this means that it has GPT and is formatted to NTFS, specifically that is is initialized ).
with all of the above done it’s time to dive into the clover config.plist
an infinite black screen is normally caused by a hang within clover normally the result of an incorrect configuration in the config.plist.
There are many resources online for configuring the clover config.plist it is largely a trial and error type method to resolve although it is worth noting that the clover debug logs can be helpful aswell as the verbose/shell stuff if there is an error being produced.
A web search for common reasons clover hangs may prove useful.

You may pm myself with a copy of your config.plist and i will give it a look over for obvious issues. ( NOTE; I am not the most advanced user when it comes to troubleshooting the config.plist but i will give it a go anyway. )
Good luck and happy modding!

Hi sibliss,
Thank you for your reply!
Thanks to one Russian enthisiast who made a very detailed video on youtube, I’ve managed to resolve this. The only way to overcome this is to:

1. use UEFI64 shell command line in Clover instead of the main menu;
2. Make a UEFI-bootable Windows 10 flash drive via Rufus software instead of Media Creator

I created a flash drive using Rufus and used command line to launch bootx64.efi file on it. That way it worked and installed successfully. And I can boot the new OS from SSD via main menu of Clover. Still, I cannot boot my old OS from my HDD via Clover menu or boot from any USB drive there (I don’t need both options anymore though). I hope this might help someone with the same situation.

I need some assistance. I used clover to get my X58 rig to boot from nvme and it was working just fine the last two days. Yesterday, I was having some issues with the microsoft store so I figured it might have been something to do with the version of windows 10 I was using since the version of windows 10 I have on a usb hasn’t been updated in a while. I started to redo my windows 10 usb on my laptop and decided to boot onto my desktop to see if the issue had sorted itself out since sometimes restarts and shut downs fix odd issues like that but when I tried to load my clover usb, I’m greeted by one of two screens. One is just a black screen with a 6 on the top left corner. The other is this one below. I don’t know what to do! ;_;

https://i.imgur.com/FgS5z6R.jpg

System Specs:
i7 970 @ 4.4Ghz
MSI X58 Big Bang Xpower
24GB (6x4GB) Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 @ 2000mhz
XFX Radeon R9 Fury X
500GB Samsung 970 Evo+ using a Vantec dual m.2 nvme + sata pci-e riser
2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0
Some Chinese 4 port USB 3.0 card with one internal USB 3.0 header pci-e x1 card
Corsair RM1000X PSU

@Troika
The screen you mention with the 6 in the top left is actually the boot6 screen it does actually say boot6 but for some reason it’s always cropped off the screen such that you only see the 6.

One of my installs does this on every boot but eventually does load into clover, I am not entirely sure how to fix that issue so I’d certainly be interested to know how when you get it working.

I hope that little bit of information helps.

1. Is Clover on Hard drive or was it launched from USB ?
    2) Do you have a hidden “EFI” partition for Windows ?

I would check autoboot settings in Clover’s config.plist file (or trying to manually selecting bootx64.efi from EFI partition).

I fixed my issue. Something messed with my bios and changed the multiplier and the cpu was trying to run at 4.8ghz rather than 4.4ghz. I’m fairly certain that it can run at 4.8ghz with more voltage but it would need something other than a Corsair H110i GTX to cool that much heat.

Hello!
Can someone tell me exactly which files should be modified? The new installation is not like the first post.
you know if it supports nvme raid with a pci card like the asus HYPER M.2 X16 CARD. thanks

@pacoor

Hi and welcome to the forums, please see my pinned post the blue text in the first post in this forum for locations where to copy the nvme driver file in the new filesystem. i have no idea if the driver will support raid or not however i’m guessing not though as looking at the specs of that card it does not employ a hardware raid.

@sibliss Hey man, i tried to boot the usb stick with the configuration on the first page. When i try to boot the usb with UEFI me screen freezes on the logo of the motherboard… When i try to boot on Legacy, it boot onto clover but it cannot see my nvme ssd. My motherboard is the Gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p fx rev. 2.1. Any thoughts on a possibility to make it work?

@ijokerboy
Hi i notice you have also tried the duet method,
I hope you are using clover and have also read my pinned post.
lets try to get legacy mode working for you. personally i don’t even bother with uefi as it makes no difference once clover passes off to the windows bootloader anyway.
so with the above said if legacy boot of clover cannot see your nvme there are 2 most likely reasons this happens, one is that you haven’t copied the nvme driver to all of the locations required (up to 6 locations) you can do with just 3 locations in 32 bit mode.(i use 32bit myself because again it makes no difference once it passes off to windows). please ensure to copy the nvme driver dxe file to atleast the following 3 locations
1. Efi\CLOVER\drivers\bios
2. Efi\CLOVER\drivers\uefi
3. Efi\CLOVER\drivers32uefi

This ensures the driver is loaded in clover regardless of bios or uefi boot mode.
The second reason it may not display is that the disk has not been initialized yet ( I suggest web searching disk initialization).

I hope this information helps, and if it still doesn’t work by all means report back here.

I’m trying to revive my old Dell Optiplex 580. I’ve put Samsung PM991 NVMe in PCIE x4 adapter and installed Windows 10 without any problem. But if I try to install Windows 7 I can’t get my nvme visible in the installer. I tried option with Nvme hotfix and also tried Samsung drivers (eventough PM991 is not listed there).

Can somebody help?
I have also spare Hynix NVMe but it doesn’t show in installer too when I try to install Windows 7 + Hotfix.

I added NVMe hotfix with NTLite.

EDIT: I’ve sorted out the problem with Gigabyte Windows 7 Tool. This tools implements NVMe into Windows 7 installer well. Everything went smooth on both Samsung PM991 and Hynix drive.

download aioboot from aioboot.com
make a new clover usb and boot from that

Windows 7 has no-native NVMe-Driver, you have to pick them with F6 during installation or you slipstream them in your installation-medium.

Hi Fernando,

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU and report eventual success on Dell XPS420 from 2007 running Windows10 with X38 chipset, PCIe2 using Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 NVMe in a standard PCIe x4 adapter card which I used as a data drive in Windows 10, but was keen to boot windows from it.

Some things I learned on the way that might help others…
* Use BDU to make CLOVER on the DESTINATION hardware ( I used latest clover v5070 )
* I had lots of problems ( most of symptoms described in other posts ) when using Rufus and an ISO image for windows install. When I used Windows Media Creator to make an install directly to a clean USB it worked first time.
* In the clover boot menu pressing <space> on each drive icon gives a list of details that can help distinguish one drive from another and lists which .efi file will run when you select that drive. This better than the ‘trying every drive until you find the right one’ method.
* Pressing F3 in the Clover boot menu can show important drives that might not appear by default
* the windows media USB is identified, when you press <space> as a 7710MB volume and shows file efi\microsoft\boot\cdboot.efi at the end of a long string of numbers/letters (BLK:)
* Once installer was working, although NVMe was visible to installer, it could not make partition. Pressing <Shift><f10> whilst in the installer let’s you get to CMD prompt without having to restart the installer.
* My problem was solved from CMD prompt using DISKPART then, “select disk <Nvme no>” then “clean” then “convert GPT” then “exit” and “exit” back to installer
AFTER THIS SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION ( leaving CLOVER USB in permanently as first boot item ). I manually boot from Clover Icon ( the icon that when you press <space> that has 99MB volume and ‘Run bootmgfw.efi’ in the list. )

( In my experimental tests I did go from Clover menu into clover shell, <left most icon under disk icons> and played with “help” and “map” and to check plist.config ( via edit ) and it was interesting learning but not relevant to my particular install )
( Likewise I exited Clover to Windows Boot Manager <right most icon under disk icons > and played with “Boot From File” under Boot Maintenance Manager - again interesting but not relevant for my particular install)

It’s given the PC a new lease of life, and for now I’m going to stick with my simple USB CLOVER boot, maybe move CLOVER boot to SSD in future.
For those struggling, I recommend you persevere as success transforms your PC.