[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

If you are just trying to boot to nvme (not mac os)
you are much better off using rEFInd

When i use clover there are quirks like cpu-z isnt able to read the spd from the ram
and such even though my config for Clover is almost empty

so its messing with what it doesnt need to be messing with for a windows boot
no such problems with rEFInd

here’s my backups just extract one of them to a fat32 partition
one has no gui the other has text gui (see config file for other stuff)
its all ready to go with the nvme driver included

https://mega.nz/#F!1iB32ATT!JefLxkbk4rBapBFOwHDBTQ

Great idea. All sounds amazing but how do i do that? Tried extracting the No GUI version then booting from it and it hangs at "trying to boot from USB". I guess because there is no Boot file in the Root. How do i make the archive you sent into a bootable USB stick. I guess it might sound obvious to you, but i have no clues. I could not get rEFInd to work when i tried it a few days ago. That is why i used Clover. Any help very gratefiully receivced. I am also getting errors on Benchmarks so as you say Clover is doing something unwanted.

regards

Charlie

Try the gui one first

Just format a usb stick fat 32 and unrar the contents of the gui file
the no gui one is setup to pre boot to last used device
which you havnt selected, gui one is on a 10 second countdown

mine is setup slightly different but will work just the same from a usb stick

I have a 512gb Crucial M550 on Sata 0
i just removed all patitions
made a 36mb fat 32 partition with rEFInd on
then the rest of the M550 is a NTFS partition with no data on it atm (Drive D in windows)

oh you can also sit there bashing cursor down on the keyboard on the nogui one
which will bring up the gui so you can select your boot device

Still not working on the GUI one. I have screen shot the file sturcture. Like i say i can see how it could ever work as there are no boot or configfiles in the root directory. All there is in the root is the entry for the EFI directory. Any suggestions here would be gratefully received.

Charlie

FIle structure.png

im uploading a video gime 5

edit…
here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLK_FRC5LU

Shonk

The files in your video are different names to the ones in the back up files you sent me. But the resolution is not good enough on the video for me to be able to read it properly and rename the files. But there is clearly something wrong as nothing ever happens when i use your fliles. All I get is waiting to boot from USB. It has never gone any further. Can you check the archive files you sent me. There must be something wrong in there. They clearly are not the same as the files you boot from in the video. Many thanks.

Charlie

@Charlie

Shonk ( DQ77MK ) motherboard has UEFI. Your does not. You’ll need to boot UEFI first.

OK, makes sense. Thanks noInk I just dont think i have any other option except using Clover, unless you have any other suggestions? I was reading you other thread seems you have got some good ideas in this area.

yes sorry your bios has to be uefi for rEFInd to work
its a simple bootloader that tells the uefi bios in my case to load the nvme driver
then boot from it

@Charlie

Dunno, is the “HOW to MAKE THE USB BOOTABLE for DUET” on the DUET-REFIND thread not working on your system? are you getting stuck on something?
I’m using it on a single CPU board, dunno about dual CPU setup. You could try it and see if it work for you.

As per @Shonk example ( I do use it mineself on one intel DX58SO board for NVME capability ) all you need is refind as boot manager placed within the USB /EFI/BOOT/ directory and be it renamed to “BOOTX64.EFI”.
The embedded DUET BDS on intel board ( sort of ancient version of ME ), will bring you to the selection from the default internal shell.
Either way on legacy BIOSes you need to boot in UEFI trough DUET.
Unless you are capable to write your own firmware with TIANO, which is the current standard for BIOS development, there no way to use UEFI function at boot.
So, in case you planning to use DUET as bootloader from your legacy BIOS, see the thread mentioned before or build it yourself from the source.

DQ77MK has a 2017 visual bios and also me due to being Q77 chipset with remote management UEFI is v2.31 (American Megatrends)
i think its alot newer than the bios on the 58 chipset’s

@Shonk

The intel DX58SO board has 2.00 UEFI, nevertheless, without the secure boot option on, as per UEFI spec: the /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI should work on all UEFI bioses.

As you seem to know a bit about eufi and such

a friend who i game with has a dell optiplex 390
i upgraded it the other week to an i5 2500k and an ssd for him
anyway to cut a long story short the bios although it has uefi
has no option for ahci so his ssd is limited in legacy mode

do you know of any way to remedy this

@Shonk

I don’t own the board.
if dell intentionally disabled such aggregation on production, perhaps there could be a defect. I’m not aware since I’m not a DELL customer.
if the board is fully capable to establish the AHCI link perhaps you can still enable the option on the AMI menu.
A quick search took me here ( dunno if this apply ).
I’m sorry but I can’t help you further with the optiplex 390.

I have managed to completely kill my install trying the refind etc. So i now have to start all over again… booo hooo

@Charlie

You mean by following the "HOW to MAKE THE USB BOOTABLE for DUET" on the DUET-REFIND thread or by trying to use REFIND from other source?
anyway, if you have issue by following the procedure, post the problem in the referred thread, so, we do not clog this one with unrelated content.

If i deattach the usb drive after succesful installation and booting, i cant boot into the nvme ssd next time…is there any solution to this?

Yes, there’s one !
The USB drive with Clover installed must stay connected to boot from EFI!

I have given up on this now. Really confused. I had a working set up then stupidly tried to follow advice on making it more optimised. Now I cannot get it going again. So infuriating as I had a perfectly good set up. Now I am running windows on a 250 mbps SSD… I have tried lots of different things from this and other forums. But I am completely baffled. What is worse is I know it can be done as I did it before.

Installed the win 10 properly from clover , booted properly from clover, but can i make clover partition to my 2nd or 3nd HDD/SSD ? Or i clover must be all time attached on a Pendrive?
rEFInd.-- > this method can also work without usb drive?
im also trying the hyper-v method now, cuz this CLOVER - usb drive is making me nervous, i dont want to see all the time attached to my asus laptop…