[Guide] How to Use a CH341A SPI Programmer/Flasher (with Pictures!)

@MisterBob I succesfully flashed a MX25L12872F using asprogrammer 1.41 and selecting the MX25L12873F as IC.
I also received the "Possible protection is enabled. Press "Unprotect" and check datasheet" message every time I tried to flash, but I think you can safely ignore that warning. In my case i just ignored it and the flash still succeeded.

@snixel
Thanks for the message, well I tried again and it didn’t work, it copied the bios successfully but the laptop just lights up green and nothing like always, no fan spin, nada. Also everytime I fucking try any bios chips on the motherboard they end up dying now, that’s a new thing in my bad luck, I’m fucking done with this shit, so unlucky with this stuff. Lost already 800$ on this brand-new laptop that worked one day, impossible to repair, I spend already 150$ just buying stuff to try to revive it, I’m fucked now, just gonna send that shit laptop in the trashbin and get done with it, fucking hell…

@snixel - Sorry for delayed replied, always buried here!
Great to hear you recovered your system now! Does your Ethernet work? If yes, then all good to go No, you can’t disable boot guard, unless you replace the PCH with clean non key fused PCH
You can tell what is covered by dropping BIOS into UEFITool 51, anything you see in Yellow/Cyan/Red you can’t edit.

ME FW side Boot Guard settings do not matter, there is a key burned into PCH side, so ME FW side can be totally disabled and boot guard still enabled until PCH is replaced.

@MisterBob - ASProgrammer always says that, you can go ahead, or you can press unprotect, it does not matter. If you want to be on safe side, hit unprotect first.
MX25L12873F use CH341A v1.31(1.4) (CH341AFree) (This is the name of the folder), ASProgrammer 1.4 or 1.41, or CH341A v1.1.1.32 << All confirmed working here by other members, all software mentioned here in below link
Try Colibri, v1.1.1.32, or v1.31(1.4) (CH341AFree) instead, maybe they will work better for you. If you use v1.31(1.4) (CH341AFree), be sure to pick correct type (25) and size of chip first
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…213094641136166

What file are you writing, maybe that is the issue? Aside from above issues you are having with ASProgrammer maybe, try the other software mentioned above, then if same issue send me the file you are writing so I can check it.

@mk4523 - BIOS chips do not loose or keep time, this is controlled by RTC chip and CMOS battery. Sounds like you need to replace CMOS battery.
Also, your boot issues sound boot settings related, unless just random glitch when you saved those changes. Can you remove all HDD/SSD and boot to BIOS? If yes, then it’s boot settings related, you need to choose win10 boot type, or UEFI boot type, or enable/disable CSM etc

DO NOT program in BIOS from Asus, those are usually not complete BIOS and or partial BIOS inside a capsule (almost always this part is true) and it needs removed first.
Yes, I checked, BIOS for this system is BIOS region only (partial) AND inside a capsule, you cannot program this as-is, capsule needs removed and BIOS region needs to be inserted into a complete BIOS before you can program it into chip.
Additionally, you need to make backup of your current chips contents first and have someone check it, before you erase or write. This is so you can keep/transfer over your system details (Serial, UUID, MAC), and so you know you are using compatible software/version, not all software/version can read/write to all chips.
And so that you have something to rebuild (ie a complete BIOS base) Did you make a backup first? What is your BIOS chip ID, read it with your eyes, do not rely on software

@Lost_N_BIOS Thank you for your reply, I followed all the guides and used the applications you linked in previous times. The attempt at repairing bios was always writted correctly so far, never had error except of unprotected, always choose the correct corresponding number in the application, and tried that way many times but the computer never recovered, but now I think I know what is wrong with my persistent problem…
To explain quickly, initially when powering the laptop after bricking occured I had the fans working, keyboard led on. I think it was partially corrupted, then I did something stupid and erazed the chip with the help of the programmer and put a bios from the only english website that have bios for this model online, it’s the same number for the bios as well that was originaly installed on the computer but because it’s a Clevo it’s a bit difficult to truly find the official website (afaik it should be official and there is no other english source for it but still it’s not like getting a bios from MSI for example, you go through websites that are third party).
Since I tried repairing with it by writting a new bios, the fans are not spinning anymore, I tried to write all type of bios for this model that I could find (some even from clevo chinese website) and even bought some new chips on ebay and writted on them but none of them worked, now the fan never spins, keyboard led always off when powering it.
Which makes me think that the problem is because the bios is incomplete, I regret so much to not have created a dump of a bios but the bricking surprised me, I wasn’t prepared for it and I did a mistake also to eraze it right after… I panicked and tried to fix it too fast without considering all the possibilities first.

Do you think this is something that could be fixed or without a dump bios, it will be better to consider selling it for pieces on ebay? I’m kinda considering buying a new computer now and just forget about the loss, sell the remaining pieces etc. but if something can be done I can try one more time at least, but for that I’ll need to buy more materials so please let me know what you think from your experience. Thank you.

Hey, my laptop’s bios got corrupted and now it doesn’t boot.

I already dumped my bios contents but I don’t know how to proceed from there or how to extract my PC’s details (MAC, SN, UUID, etc.) and how to transfer them to new bios or repair old bios. Any help would be appreciated, I really need to get my PC back up and running for working from home.

Thank you

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

i have a mother board that sony vaio duo (svd132). This Board has w25q64fv chip. i want flash with ch341a but program not recognize this chip. I did everything. But i did not flash. When I plugged the clip yellow led directly open. normally yellow led open during flashing. but always open. And this motherboard has not bios battery. because of this i cant remove bios battery.

when i opened the program v 1.3 and detect button i taking this bug "acces violation at address 0097ea42. read of adress 0097ea42"
but when i opened v1.29 its ok.

please help me

by the way sory for my bad english.

20201028_195527.jpg

20201028_195535.jpg

Adsiz.png

@MisterBob - Please link me to the BIOS you are writing, I will check it out and see if all should be OK (ie is it a complete BIOS or not)
What is your BIOS chip ID, and what software version are you writing with?

For Clevo system, you need to make sure you have same BIOS + EC FW in the other chip
So, you need to write back the same version you were using before, if you know it, that way the EC FW matches the BIOS you put in there.

@ToxicCow19 - What is the system model? Please link me to the BIOS download page (not BIOS download), and also upload copy of the dumped BIOS and let me know what the BIOS chip ID is and what version of software you dumped the BIOS with.

@celaltopsakal - For W25Q64FV you need to use 1.30 or 1.34 and W25Q64BV ID or writes will fail. You can ignore the “Access Violation” error with 1.30, or just use 1.34 instead (Or Colibri also works, included here - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…213094641136166)

You may also need to connect main battery, and or Main Power supply plug. Some may need only one of those, or both, you’ll have to find out by trying to read the chip.
Once you can read, then you know if you need battery or power connected, or neither

Do not erase or write to chip until you’ve dumped a KNOWN good dump from the chip (ie someone looked at it, or you looked at it with tools and know it’s good dump
Don’t rely on verify function of the program to tell you, this is not always good way to check, in case of failed read it will still verify correctly.)

BTW, I deleted your post in the other thread, no need to post same in multiple places

Hi again @Lost_N_BIOS

I tried your said. But it did not.

I plugged battery and then both of them but I took same bug.

when i plugged clip first time and click detect on programer (1.34) read chip but device ID and unique ID 000 an then click again detect button I taking detection fails bug.

I tried both ID (FV and BV) but it didnt

I attached SS

what can i do? please help :slight_smile:

1st click1.png

1st click2.png

2nd click.png

20201028_203206.jpg

Use 1.30 or Colibri then. BV ID mainly needed for proper writes with 1.30 or 1.34, but best to just always use with that software (FV read may be OK, but not ideal, write will fail unless you use BV ID)
For colibri, you can use FV ID. Try without power/battery first, then if you can’t detect chip, connect main battery, then if still no, connect PSU cable, then if still no, remove main battery and have PSU cable only.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

I tried all of them but result same :frowning:

Hi again @Lost_N_BIOS

I cant backup bios with ch341a. But removed bios chip on motherboard and finally read bios. i have dump file.

last time when i using me laptop i tried update me fw and pc restart but not open. vaio screen stuck.

I think me region corrupted. but i’m not sure

can you fix this bios for me please?

svd132 = old bios
R1082s7 = on sony website bios file

svd132.rar (3.48 MB)

R1082S7.rar (2.09 MB)

Hi there,
I am having problem to flash winbond 25Q40EW, when i am using the ch341 (black version with 3.3v mod) with the 1.8v adapter it wont detect the chip but when I try it without the adapter it detect the chip but won’t write to it :’(

PS : this is my second chip and second 1.8v adapter that I ordered thinking that it might be the 1.8v adapter that is faulty but it was not the case

since there is no answer I decide to change the chip to winbond W25X40CL and succesfully flash the chip and get my video card back up and running

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

I solved problem. Its me region that i think. I injected clean me region v.9.5.52.1940 and pc runnig.

But i can not found same version of me driver.

My pc nxp proximty sensor nfc not working. Because of this i think.

Can you help me please?

Hi everyone, new here, I just corrupted the bios of my motherboard, a Gigabyte Z87x. I would like to know if I can use this method to flash the bios again without removing the motherboard from the case by just unplugging the power cable? Thanks to all of you

greetings @Lost_N_BIOS

my first post and my first time working with this programmer/software so please excuse if i am misunderstanding. but i believe i dumped the bios correctly, can you make me a clean file to flash on the board to remove password? thanks for your time and assistance!!

W25Q80DVSIG.zip (891 KB)

I have HP 4300 SFF PC. Is it possible to mod the bios of its motherboard with custom rom ( having Nvme drivers) and make Kingston A2000 bootable with windows 10 in it. Please reply I want to upgrade my 50+ HP 4300 PCs.

Greetings All,
I hope to be in the right place, otherwise I regret for any trouble this could case.
My goal is to flash a new boot loader on a router. Soldered chip is EN25Q64, I bought CH341A programmer (actually, two of them) and I’m not able to detect chip with many different versions CH341A Programmer (1.18 to 1.29) and different softwares (AsProgrammer).
I also tried using wiring on board lateral pins in addition to normal adapter.
I run on Win10 but I also tried on debian (flashrom).
Is there something popping in someonelse mind?
Thanks

UPDATE 9th Jan
Probable problem found: damaged Pomona 5252

I just received a new Clip and I was quickly able to flash. Great success :-).
I was able to detect and then flash wiring to CH341 board’s pins and not using 25 interface (in this case, board seems not connected)
Thanks for all useful information I found on this forum,.
It will be my pleasure to support on this specific experience (Win10, CH341 Programmer and EN25Q64 soldered on a tg582 board)

Brilliant, got me out of a hole - flashrom magic -thanks

I’m trying to hack HP’s Sure Start mechanism. It claims to store 2 copies of the BIOS in the system flash and also the BIOS controller firmware. Would this be able to modify both the original BIOS and its backup? I believe that once this is done, it’ll be open season on HP computers for BIOS modding.