Help needed - Alienware Area 51 R2 BIOS

This is the info i have
Service Tag: HCRDSD2
Express Service Code: 37776886742
It’s not a corporate system so I don’t it would have had a asset tag unless Dell put one in by default.
As for raid I haven’t set one up on this system I don’t even remember whether I ever saw the setting in bios, it was always disappointing basic bios lol, I’m so used Asus bios.

Thanks, I see “Service tag” in info above, let me see if I can find Express Service code in BIOS you dumped.
RAID??? Not sure what you mention that about? Ohh, maybe I mentioned sometime previously?
If yes, I only mention because I told you to load optimal defaults and if you use RAID and didn’t set it before loading windows it would break the RAID array.

As for disappointing BIOS menu/options, we can fix that if you want If you want to do this, I need BIOS images (in full) of all pages, submenus, settings (ALL) of your BIOS, then I can unlock menu for you.
If you do this, please set camera to small images, or resize before you zip/rar them for me (and use max compress) I don’t need to see 2k-5K 3-6MB images, 800px wide and 100-200KB per image is more than plenty

I looked and 37776886742 or it’s hex 33 37 37 37 36 38 38 36 37 34 32 is not in the BIOS you dumped. I can add back the above info though, it would be whatever is specific to that system, and maybe that other # above somehow translates into express service tag via some Dell method?

I don’t know if the express service code was in the bios, i pulled it from the sticker on the system along with the service tag.

Well, all I noticed is the info I gave you above, it’s all in one entry in NVRAM (x2 locations), and that is the only place HCRDSD2 is found too.

I guess we will go with what is in the NVRAM

Can you see service tag in BIOS before, and what about express service tag? if not, could you see those anywhere in software or something else you noticed?
If yes, or not, yes I think that is only option, to put back that info where I see it in previous. I will do this once we get started on menu unlock, for that I usually send a few BIOS up front as initial test to figure out a few things on the BIOS before I do the full unlock
So I will stick it into those and build from there.

I don’t recall seeing it in anything maybe the Dell Support assist software but that is not loading right now so I can’t check, when I was taking the pictures of the bios there was a screen asking for the Service Tag when I click to setup a password for bios, the alert is in the upload. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…630851867780497

Ahh, so you can set service tag in BIOS, I expected you would be able to somewhere since I didn’t stick it in there.
Don’t setup password until we’re done, if you did plan to use pass. Thanks for images, I will work on this and get back to you soon!

Hope all is well, I was wondering if anything we have done would effect the secure boot function as in can I re-enable it.
Also do you have any good pointers/links so I can learn more about bios modding?. I feel like with how long I’ve been in IT this is something I should have a basic knowledge of, more tools in the kit for helping others.

@RiggsUSA - Yes, all is well, sorry, just always buried here No, secure boot will be fine, but wait for that and password etc, until we are done.

BIOS modification is a multi-layered art, with many ways to do any single one thing, and 1000’s of “things” you can do to a BIOS.
So I can’t answer that question in general you have to be way more specific about what you want to learn to modify and then maybe I can give you some pointers to how-to info or quick guide etc
Really, there’s not a lot of guides I’ve seen, but I’ve personally posted a lot of how-to around here.

Looking at BIOS Images to do menu mod, is this MSI Motherboard?? That is MSI BIOS GUI
At least they gave you Chipset from the get-go, that is usually a menu I have to swap for something else (hidden) in OC area to give user chipset menu access in most all MSI BIOS
So, at least that is out of the way already, which is nice because it takes me a long time to gather all the details needed to swap that in

So, here is all that info added back into NVRAM at area I mentioned I found it before (the HCRDSD2 + CN0FRTKJ697026710341A00) + first test I need you to do for menu unlock
Please test in this order and let me know which BIOS shows you “DRAM Reference Clock” on Chipset page now. If BIOS #1 SetO shows it, no need to test other two BIOS
1. SetO
2. SetAMITSDS
3. SetAMITSDU

Flash in via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f filename.bin

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…221960923250853

Before flashing this, be ready for recovery via programmer, there is an added padding file no matter how I do the edit on setup unless I spend a lot more time to sort, and some systems brick due to this, others are OK.
Since I can’t find a way around it right now, you’ll have to test and let me know if it bricks or not, if it does then I will put more time into this and figure out how to do the edit without the padding getting added
I can do it but it usually takes me a few hours to sort out method, so instead of wasting time and since you have a programmer, we can test up front if it’s OK or not.
I can work around, It’s just a long dance, removing extra modules one by one and then rebuilding inserting all at once until it doesn’t happen. If it bricks then I will sort and then we carry on
If you’d rather not have to recover again, it’s OK and I understand, let me know and I will put in the time to work around this so you don’t have to worry about it.

Also, after flashing these, check BIOS main page, do you now set a set Asset and service tag?

It looks like a lot of stuff you already have visible, only a few things here and there, and a few submenus to add into advanced, and you’ll have full BIOS menu
Ohh! And on RAID, it’s set and enabled by default (when optimal default is applied), so I assume you have two disks in there in RAID Mode 0 or 1.
Be careful now, if you don’t always start with optimal in BIOS AHCI mode is fail safe setting, I’ll make this visible for you shortly It’s at Advanced >> Integrated Devices page

I guess for me I was hoping there may have been a better way viewing and understanding the hex/dex, and layout of it.
Yes it is a MSI board MS-7862 ver 1.0, I’m not sure what MSI board it would be close to, I have seen a lot of people have been asking around the net for a way to replace the Alienware firmware for the MSI version. I’ll test the new upload and get back to you.

----------------------

“DRAM Reference Clock” shows with SetO. Service Tag was set and was not asked to input it. asset tag was blank.

Well I can help to show you some things, but without you specifying some specific edit generally, I can’t really link you to any info or guide etc.
UEFITool NE Alpha can help you to inspect and see BIOS layout, with the NE Alpha version you can right click any area and view via hex too.
That is what I am editing your BIOS with (UEFITool 25 and 51), that and hex editor - https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool
And using Universal IFR Extractor, to output text variables of the setup PE32 module - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…693042667928818

Was asset tag ever shown in BIOS in that location??

Great to see no brick due to the padding thing I mentioned, always nice when you don’t have to work around that, but always a huge risk of bricking BIOS since many fail once you add/remove a padding like that.
We don’t need or want MSI BIOS from some other board, you have it all in this BIOS anyway, much more by stock than MSI BIOS gives you too!

Thanks for test result, I will get back to you soon with either another test or full unlocked BIOS

Yeah I wasn’t wanting to switch to MSI bios. I don’t remember if asset tag was set at all.
Thanks for the info I used some of them tools when I was trying to fix the bios before joining here, I was just lost at where to start.

@RiggsUSA - Well from what I found in your dump, I could not see Asset Tag anywhere, only the service tag and that other number I gave you and both those were in same location. I searched asset tag a few ways too, didn’t see it.
If you want to set it, I can send you Dell tools that you can use to set directly, then it should show in BIOS. Let me know if you want those, there is two Asset tag tools (Asset and A209), they run from DOS
Another quick test, please check same thing again with this BIOS, Dram Reference Clock, test both BIOS and let me know outcome if you see it now with either.
This will let me know if previous edit required method, or if one of these two will do it for most (this is quicker/easier edit, without previous change (unsuppress in setup) - so both these = still suppressed in setup, but I want to know if either of these changes override that or not
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…430304649745379

After this test, I will know which way to go for most all settings, so can do rest of unlock without further tests

Sorry for the late response, just tested and none of these showed "Dram Reference Clock".

Never a rush, I’m always behind! Thanks for testing, it’s as expected but I needed to confirm

@RiggsUSA - Sorry for the delay! Here, please test, I think it should all be unlocked now
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…233038941839522

No worries on the delay, that flash actually crashed the system, no post, no response on the keyboard. I’ll get out the programmer and get it back up.

@RiggsUSA Ahhh!! Damn man, sorry to hear, and glad you have programmer! I spent hours editing byte by byte, must have edited something I shouldn’t have
I will redo tonight for you, I think maybe I know what happened, there was some things like 5-8 settings there were in setup that I didn’t see in AMIBCP and I revealed them all because one like that I could see in your images but not AMIBCP so I assumed they’d all be OK and become visible.
I bet this is the issue! But, I will check for sure and see if I can find something else obviously wrong too, if not then I will redo and leave those out.

Hey no worries, it happens. I really appreciate your help, I know you have a lot on your plate. Dell contacted me yesterday and said they had ordered a replacement board for their mishap a while ago but said they have no idea if or when it would have got here, I told them that we got the system running and asked them about the tags, they said “the system did not have a asset tag”. They advised that their logs showed that the system had installed a firmware update the day the system went down.
Quick note: I noticed the system has not had a post beep even when we had a working bios, I hear the speaker give a little crackle, maybe just a coincidence or a problem with the board/speaker.