[Solved] IdeaCentre Gaming 5 17IAB7 - XMP unlock

Hi, I have this PC Desktop for gaming: IdeaCentre Gaming 5 17IAB7.

I don’t find a way to backup my current BIOS so I got the BIOS update here on Lenovo website.

It is a .cap file and

EDIT: BIOS backup here

UEFITool reports an AMI v2 file with protected ranges. I tried to use SmokelessRuntimeEFIPatcher without success because I can’t find SetupUtility module as explained here.
For testing purpose, because can’t find UI entry point (SetupUtilityApp), I tried to only startup the configuration at boot with the others DXE driver but the BIOS configuration UI never shows up.

Someone here could explain what is the problem with this system? I bought 32 of RAM 3600 that runs at 1066 MHz because on this damn PC I can’t use XMP.

With this configuration

Op Loaded
H2OFormBrowserDxe

Op LoadFromFV
SetupUtilityApp
Op Exec

this is the output:

Welcome to SREP (Smokeless Runtime EFI Patcher) 0.1.4c
Opened SREP_Config

Config Size: 0x48
Parsing Config

Stripping NewLine, Carriage and tab Return

Current Parsing Op Loaded
OP Detected

Commnand Loaded 
Current Parsing H2OFormBrowserDxe
Found File H2OFormBrowserDxe 
Current Parsing Op LoadFromFV
OP Detected

Commnand LoadFromFV 
Current Parsing SetupUtilityApp
Found File SetupUtilityApp 
Current Parsing Op Exec
OP Detected

Commnand Exec 
Executing Loaded OP

Loaded Image Not Found -> 33C48000
Executing Load from FV

Loaded Image Invalid Parameter -> 33C48000
EXEC %r

Really appreciate any help that point me on the right direction, ask me if you need some other info, thanks to all

No one here that can help me? Searching on the forum I found only Acer help.

I would like not to change my motherboard, I can pay for this BIOS unlock

19hours ago… can you please pay a little more respect to the forum and their users?
The issue is no money…
Its impatience, the users time availability, the users time-zone, the version and kind of bios structure, too new platform, too new ME FW, OEM bios locks, platform security locks, not possible, etc etc…
This is a user forum not a TI tech support 24h with any obligations.
Thank you.

[TOOL] UEFI Editor - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

[GUIDE] [UPDATE] Usage of AMI’s AptioV UEFI Editor + FPT Flash Method - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Specific issues should be posted on the related linked threads.

EDIT: Really dont see how the content of the message is seen as an “attack” or as offense… people tend to make a big noise as victims when confronted with the true reality and not a digital world and off course, there’s users more sensitive than others, perfectly understandable.
Enjoy the forum resources and users good will.

Dxe volume of this bios is boot guard protected. I don’t know any way to hack this protection. Assuming that a solution doesn’t exist at all, you can try to activate XMP without bios unlock.

As a moderator, can you attack people like this?

How can I know where to indicate my problem if it is not clear to me why this BIOS is totally different than all those addressed on this forum?

This has never happened to me on any forum, I have not offended anyone unlike you. What I wrote is that after searching on the forum I find many useful thread for Acer, so it is why I asked again, maybe Lenovo BIOS is more complicated?

…you can try to activate XMP without bios unlock.

Could please point me to the right direction?

Sorry, I can’t. An unusual compression is used in the BIOS. This prevents the AMIBCP program from working correctly.
One part can be extracted just fine and the second one not. It resulted in incomplete IFR outuput. There is a table, but no text in it.
IFR.zip (264.9 KB)
So I’m not able to obtain values of XMP setting. It needs some utility that could save EFI drivers already unpacked into memory. I’ll ask @AARCH64_EL3 about this.

Really appreciate, I’m a C and Python developer, if there is something that I can do ask me.

I wait for your input

I finally backup my current BIOS (I hope!!!) using Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0.

LENOVO-M42KT39A.rom
SHA256: 2ccfc4ec6d286dd9ad109607ea4c3c57944acd233e32fa128b3b0cdcaf60ee08

Attached here

Don’t know. I don’t even have an understanding of how the idea can be realized.

Thanks, I’ll check if there will be difference.

1 Like

It actually worked. Here’s how to enable XMP.

“setup_var_cv SaSetup 0x18D 0x1 0x2” Enables XMP profile 1

“setup_var_cv SaSetup 0x18D 0x1 0x3” Enables profile 2

“setup_var_cv SaSetup 0x18D 0x1 0x4” Enables profile 3

1 Like

Hi thanks for your help.

I enabled XMP profile 2 and now my PC won’t boot (many beeps at power on), in which way can i reset the option?

Try to pull out cmos battery and power cycle 2-3 times.

Thanks now it works again!

I have now some questions, could you please help me again? :stuck_out_tongue:

1. XMP profile 1 works and XMP profile 2 doesn’t, is it worth to try XMP profile 3?

2. Below there are Windows and CPU-Z info without and with XMP profile 1 enabled:

NO XMP

WITH XMP profile 1

As you can see with XMP enabled the DRAM Frequency is 1729 MHz (Windows double it, so 3467 MHz), is it normal that Mem. Controller Freq. indicated by CPU-Z is lower with XMP activated than without it?

3. What was your approach to find the right VarStore, VarOffset and Value? I mean which approaches and tools did you use? SaSetup is far away by xmp string :smiley:
    I’m a developer and I would like to learn the method in order to help someone here on the forum in the future

4. Do you think that with you approach is it possible to enable Advance menu directly in the BIOS?

Finally I want to thank you again, if you have a forum, webpage, project where I can contribute with a donation I will do

For the people that want to try this hack in the future, as soon as you write the command you may receive this error on unmatched GUID:

On my system all is fine so don’t worry about this!

I think it’s not normal. If it remained 1064, you’d get beautiful 3600 MHz of ram speed.
Maybe ram sticks are not good enough to work at 3600. Try profile 2 with only one stick installed.

Is this topic clear?

Not with this approach.

I don’t accept donations.

Blockquote 1. 4. Do you think that with you approach is it possible to enable Advance menu directly in the BIOS?

Maybe, if GRUB/RU would let you write it.
The original adv has been used in the current adv, but has been suppressed. We only need to use GRUB/RU to change its conditions to make it appear in the BIOS. Just like some Asus computers.

They are 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 modules, I thought it is a good RAM. With XMP profile 2 it didn’t work, was the problem the amount of modules? I’ll try.

I imagine that if with profile 2 there was a problem the profile 3 is “forbidden”, isn’t it?

Yes (more or less) but I didn’t find any info on why XMP is related to SaSetup variable. Could you please add some info?

Will it be possible with SREP and the help of @AARCH64_EL3?

Thanks again

Could please point me to the right direction? Any example?

It’s a good ram. I was curious about if modules are mixed.

First, check CPUZ SPD tab if there are that many profiles.

The XMP setting refers to VarStoreId 5. VarStore which has ID = 5 is SaSetup.

To be honest, I don’t know. I tried different ways on my PC with no result.