Help please X1 carbon 9 gen Me region sku mismatch

The corrupt and the working image both have a Corporate LP firmware:

The dump of the second chip- did you change it or is it in its original unchanged state?

the second chip is in its original form

Yes they have the corp firmware
but there is a mistmatch in one of the tables causing the issue that cause s a mismatch error when you try to reflash the firmware…

I don’t think this is located inside the ME region itself.

How do you update? Capsule / non- capsule? Simply running the Lenovo file? Manuallt?

Please make a screenshot of the error message you get when trying to update.

If you’re working in Windows: Please make a screenshot of the content of the WIndows\firmware folder, should look like this:

Originally it was using lenovo vantage update
Machine would keep rebooting and trying to update and fail.

now i am using the downloaded firmware and non capsule.
As it allows you to flash the fimware

the folder

using the firmware check tool in the package

Now trying to flash the corp.bin

Screenshot of “c:\windows\firmware

c:\windows\firmware

this is on a clean install

Thank you!

Please delete the TglME_15_0-47-2521_Lp_Cons cap- file in C:\Windows\Firmware

The folder rely to firmware updates installed via MS update (see MS update catalog)
14F3350E-CF63-4E68-A0D9-0AF1D5389A17 is Bios
61B65CCC-0116-4B62-80ED-EC5F089AE523 is EC
486E285B-5A0E-4BA7-AC67-CDC1DB5861D5 is Battery Fw

I din’t find 0D803EE9-F231-4AD7-9CBB-563BCBE75C13
Could you open that folder and the Quectel folder and make a screenshot?

Regarding manual update- you need to give the Lenovo OEMID for all Lenovos I know about, it’s always the same: (So that error wasn’t related, but there might a new error when using the command with correct syntax)

FwUpdLcl -f ME_15.0_corp.bin -allowsv -OEMID 4C656E6F-766F-0000-0000-000000000000

Please send a screenshot with the result of the command.

0D803EE9-F231-4AD7-9CBB-563BCBE75C13

and quectel

flashing is successful.

device is still

Try Device manager, select Intel CSME 15.0.47.2521 Lp_Cons, Right click, Uninstall device, if asked check ‘delete software for this device’

If you didn’t delete that file already: Check in C:\Windows\Firmware if the TglME… cap- file disappeared, too.

Ok, when I uninstall the device the file gets deleted

1. now when I update via windows it installs the cons file again.

2. if i update manually it, it will not see it as a corp f/w when i do scan for hardware changes.

of course if I install as cons f/w it works.

The entries in device manager do not rely to existing firmware but to the files lying in these directories. In a perfect world this would be the same but…

Attach this cap- file, please.

From another thread from 2022:

Is AMT enabled / provisioned on your system?

EDIT: This is a non- vpro System, so the firmware always will behave as consumer?

Yes its a non vpro system,

so the firmware always will behave as consumer?
i assume so … not too sure about it.
I just compared a machine configured as cons vs the one I am having issues with … no differences in the bios setup…

I tried to find the cap file in that thread,
I can seem to find it, it might be something very simple but i couldn’t find it.

It’s nothing you can configure, that’s something done automatically inside the ME- and it’s not a setting you can configure.

The cap file I meant was the TglME_15… file in the folder c:\windows\firmware
I don’t really understand why MS update offers you a Consumer update, but they probably go according to MEInfo which states that the firmware is working as Consumer. I’d prefer the Lenovo updates (now latest n32rg30w.exe).

As far as I can see this machine behaves as it is meant to.

Sorry my mistake I ment to say a machine orginally setup ad consumer from lenovo, thats what i meant by configured.
Yes windows seems to flag it as cons., then lenovo software too does the same.
But it can be updated with the manual command so all is well.
Thanks for all your help.

You’re welcome!

2 comments:

There’s a ME ‘backup’ on that second chip, that’s the readme for manual updating in the Lenovo update:

Lenovo would update Consumer, too- That’s the old update script for a capsule update (I think it wouldn’t work since the jump- marks(?)and paths aren’t defined correctly), but they check for a vpro device for deciding if updating consumer or corporate: