[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Thanks all for your help.

I got a bit cocky and tried to update with another soft from MSI forum (fpt / MSI Forum HQ USB flashing tool) and it bricked the board x)
I was starting to panick but saw that the board has dual bios :smiley:

@lfb6 : Good idea i’ll try that to see if the modded bios has really been applied

@Paulos7 : Apparently I can’t disable slots from bios, but I have a “board explorer” panel that show everything connected.
The pcie adapter has a led that makes light when the PC is on, and the first pcie slot (gpu) is running at x8 instead of x16 like there was something in the second slot (it’s supposed to split : 16, 0, 0 / 8, 8, 0 / 8, 4, 4)
but the second slot is showing as empty.
Like this screen : https://www.59hardware.net/images/storie…SnapShot_41.jpg
except the middle one isn’t yellow.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Yes I had to rename the modded file exactly like the original, or else I couldn’t event select it in m-flash.
UEFITool was exporting a .rom, but I saw a comment saying it was ok to rename it .1A0
What is bugging me is that the progress bar is always going to 100%, not once I got an error message.

I tried this that tool, but it wouldn’t take the modded bios (message like “not a valid bios file”)
I found another tool (fpt) this is the one that bricked my bios, but I think I used it wrong.

So I was able to recover my main bios, and flashed the modded bios this time using MSI Forum HQ USB flashing tool.
I then exported a backup of the bios and I can confirm that the nvme module is inside.

However i couldn’t flash the @Fernando version using this tool (invalid bios file) so I tried to modded it myself using MMTool + NvmExpressDxe_4.
(I verified that the pad-file was still there) and the tool accepted it.

@FLX :
Thanks for your report. So now seems everything fine regarding the BIOS flashing procedure.
Does the BIOS now show the “PATA” drive?

No, it’s still not detected.
I’ll check if the drive is correctly inserted in the adapter

From your first post:

As far as I understand your disk should be detected by Windows 10 even without bios- support (bios support is needed only for booting from the NVMe- drive)!
If you can’t see a populated slot in your board explorer and windows doesn’t recognize the NVMe disk you have problems with your hardware.

@lfb6
You were right
In fact I was affraid to push to hard and the drive wasnt entirely connected x)
Now everything is good !
Detected in bios and windows, I even see PATA in boot options.

Thanks a lot for your time ! You helped a lot.

So I confirm this method works on MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX !

Hello from france
can you give me

NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs
NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs

Your link does not work
best regards

My config

Gigabyte
970A-DS3
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB

@jayce
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

The requested links work perfectly (Main and Mirror links for both modules). I just have checked it myself.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank s lot
Now it ask me for a password???

Do you think someone can do it for me ?
gigabyte 970A-DS3 rev3
SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus nvme sur PCIE

I save my bios for first time ^^

970ADS33.zip (2.65 MB)

Hello. I have read almost all threads about booting the m.2 disk in old motherboards. I have GA-B85M-D3H, I have just added BIOS modified for NVME entry from Fernando’s first page. The PATA option is visible in the BIOS but the disc is not detected by the controller. I have a Toshiba M.2 drive and a PCIe adapter. What else can I do if someone will help me with the BIOS modification to make it work? I would prefer not to use the flash drive to boot windows 10 via CLOVER. HELP!

@Wojbor Did you enabled (U)EFI booting in CSM menu ?
Also, unless you have boot partition on NVMe drive (ie. OS), it won’t appear in BIOS as boot option.

@agentx007
Yes, I changed the boot settings in CMS. The disk is without a partition at this time and the windows 10 installer can not install it. What should I do?

@Wojbor Cannot install it =…
1) It can see it but Windows says “can’t install OS on this drive”.
2) NVMe drive isn’t visible under Windows instalator.
(drivers added, pendrive with windows is booted as UEFI ?)
^Pick one, or make a picture of what you see in UEFI/Windows installer.

@agentx007
option 1. The installer says that he can not install the operating system on this drive

Are you sure, your windows install pendrive is made for EFI/GPT ?

@agentx007
I’m not sure, I’ll check it tomorrow and let you know, thanks for the tip

@jayce :
Who asked you for a password? Did you join this Forum by entering your nickname and password?

What shall we do for you? The download of the required file?

@Wojbor :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

What happens exactly? Did you boot off the USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
@agentx007
This is screen from my bios and os installer. The Cruzer is a pendrive with win 10. Installer is in Polish language :grinning: "hardware does not support boot from this drive. Make sure that The controller is on in bios menu" When i boot usb drive in UEFI mode the bios not started with warning " ni bootable devices us detected, system will enter the bios setup utility."

@Wojbor Try :
Storage boot options = “UEFI and Legacy” or “UEFI only”.
Boot mode = UEFI.

I’m pretty sure you aren’t using EFI/GPT enabled Windows installation - that’s why you don’t see option for your pendrive… either way, first change boot options to include UEFI booting and see what it does.

If those don’t work : Create new installation pendrive with Rufus (GPT/EFI/FAT32).

Did you disable within the BIOS the options “Secure Boot” and “Fast Boot”?