[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando :
thanks, but mainboard is Acer, so i really do not know which tool should i use

I don’t know it either. That is why I have recommended to post your problem into >this< already existing thread or to start a new thread within >this< Sub-Forum. Maybe a BIOS Modding Guru like Lost_N_BIOS knows a solution for your problem.

Thank you very much everyone is working well the only thing that is not working is it Hard Drive Activity LED
but it’s fine

@Fernando :
Thanks!
Now i have read the tutorial, and it’s quite simple. I have added the NVMe module, but there was another NVMe module present. But no problem, i flash them using my CH341A programmer, so there is no problem if it doesn’t work.
I’ll upload it if something fails heh!
By the way, is it possible to replace the LAN Option ROMs as well?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space within this voluminous thread)

@Knogle :
Since the latest BIOS for your Supermicro mainboard natively supports NVMe (I just have verified it: It contains the AMI NVMe module ), I do not recommend to insert any additional NVMe module. Both may interfere each other.
If you want to update any other BIOS module (e.g. the LAN Option ROM ones), I recommend to let the UBU tool do the work. >Here< is the related guide and the download links to the tool.

Hello all,
I have laptop Samsung NP900X3L-K03US 2016 year,I think he supports nvme ssd.
When I insert an SSD it does not see it.I read the BIOS programmer and saw driver nvme coming from the factory there.
I am trying to install an SSD Samsung 970 PRO on it.
Can you check my bios?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S34GO8e…iew?usp=sharing

@ura535 :
Your linked BIOS supports natively booting off an NVMe SSD. So you should not additionally insert a second NVMe BIOS module (they may interfere each other).

Using the guide on the FP, I’ve successfully modded the 3602 BIOS of the ASUS P8P67 motherboard, I had to use the small NVMe module.
Flashed the BIOS with FTK8 from DOS, everything works fine, the mobo now boot on a Toshiba NVMe on a PCIe adapter, running Windows 10.
The bandwidth is limited to 400MB though.

Thank you !

Dear all, dear Fernando,

Thank you all for the hard work and feedback on this (and other topics).
I have bought an ASUS Z9PA-D8 but ofcourse this board was without NVMe support.

I read the guide and followed the instructions. Based on that and my current understanding I made two modded biosses using UEFI-tools and MMTool.
I have uploaded the original ASUS bios (5602), the one modded with MMTool (5603) and UEFI-tools (5604).

The files can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/97oroty26ouym…Ky-mJEHJja?dl=0

Could you please check/verify if I did a good job?
5603 and 5604 are not the same I guess…

Thank you in advance for your time and effort!

@DarkAnTleR :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Your modded BIOS 5604 (modded with the UEFITool) looks good, but the other one (BIOS 5603 seems to be not correctly modified.
Questions:
1. Which AMI MMTool version did you use?
2. Why didn’t you insert the “normal” NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module? The insertion of the uncompressed file works fine with the AMI MMtool v4.50.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,
In the start page tutorial of this forum, under the ‘This is what you need’ section, 3rd bullet point, sub-section a) AMI’s Aptio UEFI MMTool. One of the suggested options in order to obtain the AMI tool is to register at Tweak Town.
The URL to the actual ‘Tools’ site at TT is rather hidden. Here is the link to the Tools’ site at TT if you are interested in offering it as part of the tutorial.
https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30…lity-tools.html
-Kevin N.

@Kevin_N :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thank you for >this< report! It is fine, that you succeeded and now can boot off an NVMe SSD.
Regarding your advice to make it easier for the users to find the download link to AMI’s Aptio UEFI MMTool I am hesitant to follow it. Due to my experiences with this Company in the past I don’t want to risk any conflict with AMI. Furthermore I want to avoid, that the TweakTown Forum or stasio, the author of the related thread, may get problems with AMI and have to remove the related links.
Thanks for the idea nevertheless!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando, I want to thank you for your step by step how to’s. I followed your steps and got the module inserted (verified) into the bios v1201. for my asus P8Z77-I DELUXE, got it renamed & flashed without bricking my system. I now have *Pata showing as a boot choice in the boot priority menu. I have been trying to recover an arcronis C: drive image onto the NVMe from external usb ssd archive and boot to it. But have not got it to boot windows clone yet under W7. I could not yet get W10 to install to this 970 Evo either. It would not let me click through past the error flag. I don’t know if there is a program to convert my backup of my existing MBR type boot C: drive image into the new GPT NVMe drive without converting the drive to MBR. I wonder if the Module should be placed so it shows in the AHIC/Raid menu? I’m hoping to get it to boot properly from this to squeeze another seven years relevance from solid old i7 I’m still hammering away trying. Getting Pata showing in the menu was encouraging. Thanks again for your tutorials. Cheers John

@Skeptic :
You cannot get any OS installed onto your NVMe SSD unless you have implemented the GPT partition scheme onto it. Consequence: It is not possible to clone a previously used old system drive with an MBR boot sector successfully onto any NVMe SSD (exception: Samsung 950 Pro SSD).
My advice: Do a fresh install of Win 10 or Win7 (after having integrated the MS NVMe Hotfix) in UEFI mode onto your NVMe SSD according to my guide.

How did you try to install Win10 and which was the error message?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Thank you. I’ve been using raid 0 systems since W95 days of adaptec raid cards. Cannot understand why oprom is not added natively to these pcie nvme adapter cards like it were on raid cards…
Yes i installed the MS hotfix driver, and samsung driver which increased speed as a data drive in W7. was careful to go into disk manager and convert to GPT, so noticed cloning existing OS to it converts drive to MBR, so converted back to GPT again/ I got the same W10 install errors i read someone else describe, im too loopy to describe it accurately tonight, must sleep. i tried install 10 from usb install media, and fresh install DVD, upgrade option, and fresh copy option, W10Install saw nvme drive, could delete volume, but not build or format. it said could not install to it. i don’t yet know where to get cesnvme.inf driver file to install under windows during install. samsung driver comes as exe with installation files. May need to learn to slipstream the .exe? and hotfix into w10 installation. i’ll keep trying. got another week to return the drive or keep it. thanks again,
cheers John

1. I used the MMTool 5.02 Patched version
    2. Then I have done it wrong, I intended to use the module you mentioned (21kb)

Just to make sure: I can use the 5604 version to update the BIOS with NVMe support?
    This file is AMI unsigned so I have to burn it on a chip and than manually install it on the motherboard.

Kind regards,

@Skeptic :
Regarding the OS installation onto the NVMe SSD it is not easy to understand why you didn’t just follow my guide (= start post of this thread.
Why are you trying to install an outdated OS onto a brandnew NVMe SSD? Using Win7 with the latest hardware is generally not a good idea. If you want to stick with Win7, you should stick witth your old SATA HDDs/SSDs.
By the way:
1. M.2>PCIe adapters are just connectors and do not contain any Controller. That is the reason why they cannot contain any Option ROM.
2. If you want to do a clean install of Win7 onto an NVMe SSD, you have to integrate the MS NVMe Hotfix (as hotfix and not as driver or exe file) into the boot.wim and install.wim of the OS Iso file.

Sometimes I ask myself why I have spent all the time for writing detailed guides.
Some users don’t follow the guide, but nevertheless ask me, whether they have done it correctly.

@Fernando Thanks for your guide - I’m trying to implement this on an Asus P8H61-I R2.0 and everything went smoothly up to the “afuwinx64.exe <NAME OF THE MODDED BIOS>.ROM /GAN” line where I got “3 - Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size”.
Here are the orig & mod files - what did I do wrong??? TIA.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…uhe?usp=sharing

@0Byte_Solutions :

According to my check result the insertion of the NVMe module has been done correctly.
Since the problems, which may occur while trying to get a modded BIOS properly flashed, are common ones and not NVMe module related, I recommend to read and to follow the advices, which are given within the start post of >this< thread.
If you cannot solve the problem yourself, please post the details into the linked thread.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)