[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Thump
If the UEFITool v0.28 is not able to insert the NVMe module without touching other BIOS modules, you should either change the in-use BIOS modding tool (e.g. by choosing one of the MMTool versions) or change the specific NVMe module (e.g. by inserting the “small” variant).
Please follow strictly the guide and don’t try to invent anything new.

MMTool removes the pad file in my case.
The problem isn’t connected with a module size: same UEFITools behavior in case of removal any module or even rebuild-only.

I just done it (NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs) with MMtool 4.x, PAD is preserved, but NOT with UEFItool 0.25/0.28 (CORRECTED)
Now as bios mod flash… users tend to forget that its a modified file that the OEM/BIOS security has a role here…they dont like those files.
Besides the last resource of using an SPI programmer, some HP motherboards can allow the mod by using the FPT tool, but it must have access to bios regions for writing, so do the mod from a FPT tool dump and mod it.
The access to bios regions on some motherboards could be already unlocked or not, manual unlock is needed or using (on some HP boards) the ME/SPI jumper to get this “unlocked” dump.
Now using the search box in this forum ( Search results for ‘Elite 8300’ - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)), you will get several post in witch you can see all this and follow other users experiences, determine witch method can solve the mod flash issue, that its normal and happens a lot in OEM/Branded machines.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help. I am now able to boot on W10 from my SSD! :metal:

Finally, i removed some DxE drivers by following tips from BIOS Guru CodeRush. Many room was available, then i add NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs and I also unlocked some bios menus with AMIBCP v4.53
Here is the bios i use now (for ROG G771JM) Modded203_bios.zip (2.1 MB)

For W10 installation, i try to clone fresh installation without success (using clonezilla): SSD was visible in the bios + it was booting from SSD :grinning:, but then BSOD appears :sob:
1st time i got SSD visible in the bios and almost W10 booting from NVME SSD!
so new fresh installation of W10-21H2 on the SSD (w/ USB and MediaCreationTool) => works perfectly :champagne:

Here is a crytaldiskmark test with the 500GB SSD (samsung SSD 980)
CrystalDiskMark_test

My 2016 laptop is running better than before (maybe faster than when it was new) :grinning:

Thanks @MeatWar, @Fernando for your support and answers! This forum is awesome! Big thumbs up to this community !

2 Likes

Hello, I just modified my BIOS file to insert the NVMe module (NvmExpressDxe_Small) without problems following the steps of this guide.
The latest version is 213, but it is already applied in the BIOS.
Can I change the modified ext from 213 to 214? Won’t the BIOS be unusable?
I would greatly appreciate your support.

Original: 2.29 MB file on MEGA
Modded: 2.16 MB file on MEGA

@skull001
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Your NVMe modded BIOS seems to be fine and ready for being flashed.
Regarding the procedure how to flash a modded ASUS UEFI BIOS please look into the first post of >this< thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

hello, I modified my BIOS file to insert the NVMe module (NvmExpressDxe5) following the steps of this guide. And complete flash bios on laptop vaio svp11 with comand “afudos ‘bios-name’.rom /GAN” (afudos v3.04).
But my laptop still can’t use the nvme ssd hard drive. Please help me.
Original: link
Modded: link

Your mod seems correct, now follow the guide from Fernando, @ point#9: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Special Topics / NVMe Support for old Systems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

i i finished flashing. But still cant use nvme ssd.

@haklet
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
What does “can’t use the nvme ssd” mean?
Did you follow my guide by booting off off an USB Flash drive containing a clean Win10/11 Image?
Are you sure, that your BIOS flashing was successful?
Do you see a device named “PATA” listed as bootable device within the BIOS (after having enabled CSM)?
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Thank for answers.

What does “can’t use the nvme ssd” mean?

i mean my laptop not recognized nvme ssd

Did you follow my guide by booting off off an USB Flash drive containing a clean Win10/11 Image?

i followed your guide step by step.

Are you sure, that your BIOS flashing was successful?

i sure my bios successful flash

Do you see a device named “PATA” listed as bootable device within the BIOS (after having enabled CSM)?

i dont see a device named “PATA” and my bios dont have CSM menu.

@hakiet
Thanks for the answers. Here are the next ones:

1. How did you check whether the OS of your laptop detects the NVMe SSD?
  2. Which OS are you running on the laptop?
  3. Which NVMe SSD (manufacturer and model) did you connect to the laptop?

That’s a relatively old Haswell Laptop, all reviews I could find say it has an M2 SATA slot. I heavily doubt that this laptot ever will recognize a NVME disk?

Please give the full laptop model!

@Fernando
Thanks for answer.

1. I use windows 11 pe booting from External Hard Drive Portable and Minitool Partition Wizard software to check it.

2. I use USB Flash drive containing a clean Win11 Image to setup. but can not detects the NVMe SSD.

3. NVMe ssd: Kioxia - model: KBG40ZNV256G

@lfb6
Thank for help.
My laptop Sony Vaio model SVP11A1A2J (Intel Core i7 4500U, Intel HD Graphics 4400, Ram 8gb)
support M2 pcie AHCI and M2 Sata.

@hakiet
lfb6 was obviously right - the M.2 ports of your laptop don’t support the NVMe data transfer protocol.
That is why you were not able to get the M.2 connected NVMe SSD working.

@Fernando
Thank for your help.
But i saw on forum has few people get full Nvme support for Sony Vaio Pro.

The exact VAIO model with M.2 AHCI SATA u cant, the slot must support NVMe PCIe, as already told by lfb6.
Like HP and others sometimes theres some sub-models with support for it, this doesnt seem to be with Vaio models.

Thanks for help.
I tried on Vaio SVP13 it okay.

Continuing the discussion from [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS:

Hello everybody! First, thank you for your solution, for me didn’t work until know. I try 2 days in vain. Motherboard AsRock FM2A88M-HD+, adapter Axagon PCEM2-N PCI-Express x4, SSD Patriot P300 128GB, NVMe, M.2. Before i found this forum, the ssd didn’t show on bios, it show on Windows 10, installed on other sata 2,5" ssd and it can be used for storage, not for booting. I update the bios to the last version 3.10, and i was hopping it could work, but no. I try to make a clean install and it tells me that it can’t be installed on this drive…

After i found this forum, i use bios Backup Toolkit to read and save the image file of 3.10 version and i try both methods with MMTool and UEFITool, with MMTool, didn’t insert the NvmExpressDxe_5 because is to big and i try with NvmExpressDxe_Small, and appereantly works, but nothing was change in the bios after flash it, and with the UEFITool, seems to be a successful insert, also nothing was change after i flash it the bios. Probably something i did wrong or is not working for this motherboard and that’s it, i have to buy a modded chip from Alliexpress. The bios has 8mb and i will make an archive to send it to see if is ok or not. Thank you in advance