[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

thanks

@clarencelimzj
Please attach the original BIOS or give me the link to it. Then I will test different tools.

Sure! Latest firmware below

@clarencelimzj
According to my tests it is possible to get the “small” NVMe module properly inserted into the original BIOS named x10slh1.121 without creating or removing any Pad-file by using the AMI MMTool v5.0.0.7.
Please check it and give us your feedback.

Many thanks! It works and now I have a modded bios!

For this supermicro board, can I just use the provided flash tool and flash the modded bios?

You can find the answers within the first post of >this< thread.

A post was merged into an existing topic: [REQUEST] NVMe mod for ThinkCentre M81 (7517 IS6XM mb)

@clarencelimzj

Did you have any luck with that bios ? I have the same mobo and would like to try it as well. If you have any further insight it would be appreciated.

i will reply on the other thread. cleaner for OP!

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Guide] How to get M.2/PCIe connected Samsung AHCI SSDs bootable?

Hi and thank you for this great guide.
Can I apply the nvme mod on a bios dump? I can’t find the official bios for download for my laptop (clevo p771zm). If yes then which tool should I use to dump the bios (I need something that can run in dos or winpe).
Thank you.

@opp
Yes you can, but you need acess to bios regions to write it back.
The operation can be done on Intel machines, with the FPT tool from the correct ME package corresponding the system

Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15) - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

ME Analyzer: Intel Engine Firmware Analysis Tool Discussion - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Although I don’t have a Clevo device, I found the link within a few minutes.
Look >here<.

Hi and thank you.
@MeatWar
I will read the topics you posted, anyway it seems a bit too complex for me. I modded a bios of a sony vaio to add nvme support some years ago but as far as I remember it wasn’t so complicated.

@Fernando
yes I found that bios too, but I didn’t purchase my laptop from that seller, I got it from an assembler with their own brand, the serial number starts with p770zm so I know it’s a clevo p770zm but can I be 100% sure that is the correct bios? what if the assembler has customized the bios as well? (boot logo is custom for instance) also I’m not sure if mine is p770zm or p770zm-g.

Hello Dieter, thank you very much for this fundamental guide. After more than 20 days of searching and reading useless texts, you definitely saved my life.

I’m sorry for my possibly stupid question, but reading your valuable guide I came across the expression “resp.” several times. What does this expression mean exactly?

Thank you again.

@dmerces Welcome to the Win-RaiD Forum!

It is the abbreviation for “respectively” (means the same as “or rather”).
Enjoy the Forum and booting off an NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

I’ve a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 (rev. 3.0)
The lastest bios dated nov 2015 (f8f) on the site and can be fond here:

I’ve dowloaded and modded this version (f8f) as in the instruction with uefi tool.

Honestly it seems all gone well:
there was enough space for module insertion and I’ve not found any pad .

1)Before try the flash, I ask if my search for problems in the modded file is correct attaching original and modded file (orginal starts with “O_”).

2)For flash I’m planning to use the Q-flash utility inside bios (actually I’m on an older version)

In this thread there is at least one message that report success to mod this mainboard however it isn’t very detailed

–update–

I’ve succesfully flashed bios with the Gigabyte bios function (Q-Flash), no problem. It works and I can see (in the boot section) the nvme module inserted with an adapter on the pcie-x16 slot.

My dear friend, thanks to your valuable guide, I have just booted my PC with the latest version of Windows 10 Pro installed on my new Kingston NV2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, attached to a PCIe 3.0 adapter on an ASRock H310M-HDV board. Everything works perfectly! Thanks again for everything.

1 Like

@matte Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
After having checked your modded BIOS and compared it with the original one, I don’t see any problem regarding the flashing procedure.
Good luck and enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello, I am using a GIGABYTE GA-Z77P-D3 motherboard that has a dual bios. When I add the NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs to the bios, does this add the file to both bios? I used MMTool to insert the file. MMTool told me there wasn’t enough space to insert the NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs if you’re curious as to why I didn’t use that file. Also this board has a mSATA slot on it, can it be used to boot with after this mod?

Thank you for your time.