[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

It is not easy to understand why you haven’t done a fresh OS install onto your breandnew NVMe SSD.
By the way: When you are using an SSD as system drive with only 10% free and usable cells, you cannot expect normal benchmark results.

@Fernando I have not tried to install a fresh copy because of this:

source: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfe…license-new-pc/

If I am wrong, please inform me. I would like to use that one transfer for a build I will do when Ice Lake releases.

@Mountainlifter :
Don’t worry about losing your Win10 license after having changed the system drive.
After having upgraded for free from Win8 Pro to Win10 Pro I have changed my system drive very often and I always did a fresh install directly onto the new or alreay previously been used SSD. As soon as the OS installation has been completed, the OS was activated automaticly.

EDIT: Please reduce your Signature. It needs too much space. 3-4 lines showing your mainboard model, its chipset, the system drive model, the SATA/NVMe mode and the in-use OS are enough for this Forum.

So Fernando, I have another question for you. Im still waiting for my new adapter card to come in, but I noticed somthing while looking mat the other one I have lying around.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6KMAAOSwE0JY~W0Z/s-l1600.jpg

See those two spots on the pins, where there are only half pins instead of fully connecting to the bottom? What affect do those two half pins have on the functionality of an adapter card? Would that cause it to not be detectable as a boot device?

Here is a picture of the other card I ordered (the one ive used in the past multiple times with success)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/f3IAAOSw7ehXRpcI/s-l1600.jpg

Notice it has a full pinout into the expansion slot.

@Smoblikat :
Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your question.

Hi Fernando, help me out if you can!
I have hp z620 bio 3.91 version and nvme samsung 960 evo 256gb. I was able to boot to windows 10 but need usb clover boot loader attached to the pc in order to boot from ssd. I followed your guide to mod bios with Nvme efi file and I did flash the rom but the bios still won’t see ssd drive , nor boot from there. can you give me direction. if any information needed let me know.
tom

@amtun13892 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

All I can do is to have a look into the BIOS, which has been modified by you.
Please put it into a ZIP or RAR archive and attach it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

here it is . I am not sure that will give you what you need to see.

z620 bios conf.txt (7.58 KB)

@Fernando :
I took your advice and re-installed Win10Pro. I retained the license because it was linked to my MS account. However, the Sequential Read-Write speeds on Samsung magician went only up to 2284MB/s and 1657MB/s respectively. Now the drive hardly has 100GB in it. I also made sure to install the samsung driver and do the “performance optimization” in magician. The speed challenge continues for me.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@amtun13892 :
The *.txt attachment can neither be opened nor read.
Only *.ZIP or *.RAR archives can be attached.

@Mountainlifter :
Thanks for your report. It was a good idea to deletete all previously existing partitions from the SSD and to do a fresh OS install.
My advices:
1. Uninstall Samsung’s Magician. It is only useful, if you have/want to update the SSD Firmware (provided, that it is supported by the tool at all).
2. Optimize your system drive C: by using the Windows Explorer “Optimizer” tool.
This way you get rid of the rather annoying Magician tool and a refresh of all SSD cells, which have been used before you did the clean OS install.

Hi everybody!!!
so Two months ago I tried modding my bios…with total …UTTER…FAILURE!!!

I’ve got a awesome MSI x79 big bang power II motherboard…with no NVME support!!!
I followed the info on this post made by @fernando.
It was brilliantly laid out…easy to follow…but every time I tried loading the modded file I was rudely told that there is no supported Bios file to upload!!!
the long and short is that I just loaded a clean unmodded BIOS file…Made a Backup of that file…modded the backup file (without changing its name)…loaded the modded backup…AND IT WORKS!!!

I have Full functionality of all features…The nvme shows under boot devices…I dont have to switch any functions off…IT WORKS GREAT!!!
Two months down the line and its still rocking!!!
I now have a 3 second boot time!!!
Its amazing!!!

I’ve Attached the modded bios file…It works for me …but like any modded bios file …MAKE BACKUPS!!!

Thanks To all!!!
pics and file attached …
I take no responsibility if you use this file …PLEASE TEST FIRST…but like I said …MINE WORKS GREAT!!!

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post and unneeded blank lines removed (to save space within this already very voluminous thread)

960 evo.jpg

asus hyperx.jpg

crystalmark.jpg

E7737IMS.zip (4.53 MB)

@Tonnage :
Thanks for your success report - congratulations!
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!

I’ve followed @Fernando s guide a year almost ago and managed to get it working on my Gigabyte X79 UP4.

Fasttrack to today, my game freezes, I force restart it (windows updates were pending as well) . Upon boot I see that the NVME driver is gone from the device manager and that I’m running on my backup old drive.

Any idea what happened and how to go about debugging this ? :expressionless:
Thanks

here is zip file format. I appreciate you looking into it.

z620 bios conf.zip (2.51 KB)

It was not a good idea to run a system stressing game while the OS has already begun to install a system stressing (Cumulative) Update.

You certainly mean, that the related device (the NVMe SSD resp. its NVMe Controller) disappeared from the Device Manager.

Since I don’t know what exactly happened, it is not easy to offer an easy solution.
Did you check the BIOS settings inclusive the Boot order?
If the Windows Boot Manager should be broken and you haven’t recently created a Restore Point, you can boot off the source OS media and try to “Repair” it.
The last option is to do a fresh OS installation (best option: use an image with integtated latest Cumulative Update).

Thanks for the upload of the text file, but if you want, that I check the result of your BIOS modding work, you should give me a link to the (compressed) modded BIOS file.

here is the link for my modded bios bin file. I only added Nvme driver

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yj3We5…d3pv8YwGW7GHTS0

@amtun13892 :
Thanks for the link to the modded BIOS file.
The insertion of the NvmExpressDxE_3 module seems to be well done.
Next questions:
1. How did you flash the modded BIOS into your HP system?
2. After having flashed the modded BIOS, did/do you see a Disk Drive named “PATA” listed within your mainboard BIOS?
3. Did you install Win10 in UEFI mode as layed down within my guide (= start post)? If yes, what happened?

bios was flashed within window with hp utility as DOS Flash did not change the bin.
after bios flash, there was no PATA drive, none under UEFI
YES, Windows 10 was installed in uefi mode ( with Rufus ) but I have to use clover bootloader in order to find the ssd first.

This is a critical find, because it indicates, that the modded BIOS may not have been successfully flashed into the BIOS chip of your HP device.
Unfortunately I don’t have any knowledge about how to circumvent HP’s security features to prevent the flash of a modified BIOS. So you should do a Google search for reports of other HP system users, who succeeded with this task.
Good luck!