[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@CompBear :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, the latest BIOS F16j supports natively booting off an NVMe SSD. I just have checked the BIOS.
Advantage for you: You don’t have to modify the BIOS.

That is correct.
Regarding the choice of the "best" M.2 > PCIe adapter I cannot help you. Since these adapters are not mainboard specific (they either work or not), you should be able to search for reports of other users, who used a certain adapter model and got the NVMe SSD working with it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Nice! thank you fernando for checking for me. Im going to search on other user thread about the adapter. Cant believe gigabyte still updating the bios for my old mobo lol

Owh my god! Thank you Fernando. You rock!

This method works on my AMD AM3+ ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 motherboard (for my file server)
Modded the UEFI BIOS, saved it as CAP file, use the ASUS rename tool then flashed the BIOS using ASUS Flashback

5 minutes later booted my Windows 10 Pro on Toshiba THNSN5256GPUK 256GB NVME SSD
Ran CrystalDiskMark and getting 1475MB/s Write & 600MB/s Read
*Limitation of PCI-Express 2.0 but still a thousand times better than using SATA 3 SSD

Thank you again man, I never thought I could use NVME SSD on my 6 years old file server

Piriform NVMe detection.png

EDIT by Fernando: Picture resized and inserted by using the Forum software (to save space, can be enlarged by clicking onto it)

Hi guys!
Please help me. I trying to run 960 evo (connected to m2) in asus tp-501uq(aptio5, i7 skylake) laptop already done with that guide also “unlock” bios and nothing… I don’t see ssd in bios, windows disk manager, windows instalation suite (tryed add driver manualy) it’s look like ssd not connected =(
I attach arcvhive with original bios and moded could you please check it.

tp501bios.rar (4.96 MB)

@sHawTY :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you got full NVMe support with your old AMD chipset system by following my guide.
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!

@Mark_rus :
Your modded BIOS looks fine and should work, but the fact, that you cannot see a Disk Drive named “PATA SS” within your notebook BIOS, indicates, that the modded BIOS hasn’t been successfully flashed.
The BIOS of nearly all modern Mobile Systems is strongly protected by the manufacturer against flashing of a modded BIOS. So it is not easy to circumvent this protection.
Please have a look into the start post and the last posts of >this< thread.
Good luck!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@sHawTY :

why dont mine say nvme did i mess it up? mine works, i could not boot to it before, until i did the patch ,but mine dont say nvme.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space)

Hi Folks!
Thank you so much Fernando for your guide. It helps me so much.
I have modded FC versioned UEFI BIOS of my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 rev 3.0 mobo with your guide. And It supports right now booting Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe.
You can find the modded FC versioned UEFI BIOS as an attachment.

9FXAUD53.rar (2.79 MB)

Hello everybody! Guys, somebody has already modified BIOS for ASUS P9X79 Deluxe(4801)? Bought yesterday ssd Kingstone KC 1000 (480gb), installed windows, but boot from it I can not, changed settings 10 times, but the disk never appeared in the BIOS.

Check pls, I correctly made the firmware?
https://yadi.sk/d/PmCZjeRl3RRKgo

And what this?
https://yadi.sk/i/ll0ItQql3RRLLM

Hi Fernando, I managed to install the 960evo & am able to clone my drive to it, but wont boot in boot manager (windows 7) And when I run repair it doesn’t recognise drive, ouch.

Any idea where im going wrong without having to install win 10?

Cheers.

LIST:
CPU: I5 - 3470
MB: P8H77-V
SSD: ADATA SX8000NP SSD
I have tried the method, but MB still can’t detect my SSD. Could someone can provide the modified BIOS to me? or someone success to use ssd in the MB?

Here is the ASUS BIOS link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1…7279.1515835509

Thanks.

Thanks.

Who resp. which part of your system doesn’t say "NVMe"?
You will never see the word "NVMe" within your BIOS or as entry within the Windows Boot Manager, but nevertheless your system has full NVMe support.

@CompScientist :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback! It is fine, that you succeeded and now have full NVMe support with your old AMD chipset system.
If you want to offer your successfully NVMe modded BIOS, you should better offer it within >this< Subforum.

@Sidches :
I just have looked into the first linked modded BIOS. It seems to be well done.
Good luck!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@i2ocketron :
Contrary to Win10 Win7 doesn’t have an in-box NVMe driver. That is the reason why Win7 natively doesn’t see the NVMe SSD while booting.
Solution: If you want to get Win7 installed onto an NVMe SSD, you have to add NVMe support to the Win7 image. For details look >here<.

@bravowang :
We do not modify any BIOS upon request. So you should do the modification your own.
All I can offer is a view into your modded BIOS to give you a little bit more security before going to flash the BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Thanks your reply. Could you help check whether it is wrong that I put NvmExpressDxe_3.ff after ProjectDXE?

dxe.png

@bravowang :
Yes, that looks good.
Good luck!

@Fernando
Thanks your reply~, but I encounter other problem.
It shows ‘PATA SS’ with no name in BIOS. When attempting to install Windows 10, an error showed up saying windows cannot be installed on the disk and also can’t format the ssd desk. Is there someone also encounter the problem? or the MB really doesn’t support the nvme function even if had modified the bios…

Thanks.

Fernando thank you!

Like it turned out, only now the speed is not complete for some reason:
https://yadi.sk/i/LS7MHbtF3RRabk

Should be about 2700

@bravowang :
The name “PATA SS” within the BIOS indicates a successfully flashed modded BIOS. Nobody without native NVMe support will ever see the word “NVMe” within the BIOS. Nevertheless they may have full NVMe support.
Did you boot your USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode?
Have the BIOS options “Secure BOOT” and “Fast Boot” been set to “DISABLED”?

@Sidches :
You obviously succeeded and are able to boot off the NVMe SSD.
Now you can try to optimize your system by inserting the M.2>PCIe adapter into another PCIe slot, removing or replacing the discrete graphics card (if applicable) and following my tips, which are layed down within the start post of >this< thread.

Well, I’m happy :smiley:
Thank you very much Fernando, for this manual!

@Sidches :
Congratulations!

Hello

Can please anybody help me with this.
I have bought a MSI Trident 3 Squad and put in an Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD NVMe disk.
But the Trident cannot detect the Samsund disk, it says in the BIOS "Not present" on sata port.
I have put the Disk in a HP Laptop and disk works fine, but in my MSI Trident it doesnt work.
I have uppdated the Trident to latest BIOS Version BIOS to EB906IMS.520 2017-12-21.
Does anybody have an Idea on how i can fix this?
There is many seller on Amazon that sells Trident 3 (Like mine) With Samsung EVO 960 disk, so i guess there is a solution.
But i cannot find the solution :confused:

PLease help me.

Best Regards
Demir