[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

What you certainly mean are the HardwareIDs of the SSD’s NVMe Controller.

Thanks but it wasn’t brilliant enough. I tried it with an Intel 750 SSD and an Asus M4A785-M and it didn’t work. The flash went well and it didn’t cause any damage to the bios but as soon as I put the the 750 in there it would lockup. I’m guessing probably from either a lack of non-uefi rom or bios pci-e booting implementation. In any case I will start another thread on this and see if users with samsung hybrid drives have better luck. Thanks.

Just to chuck my hat into the ring, using the same Samsung Evo 960 500GB nvme drive, and a Lycom PCIe to nvme card, I managed to get the following boards booting without much trouble:
Supermicro X9SRL-F, BIOS 3.2 (latest available), C602 chipset. Used the older DXE2 uncompressed driver as that’s what was on the guide at the time, but no reason why the DXE3 won’t work.
Supermicro X10SRL-f, BIOS 2.0b (latest available), C612 chipset. Used the DXE3 uncompressed driver as it was now on the guide.

Note both were booting Server 2016, not Windows 10

Hello!
Where can I find a modified BIOS for P8P67-REV31-ASUS ?
After the modification of the last bios, the error invalid UEFI volume. More precisely, if you save the mod.

I will be grateful for help

@neo370333 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If there should be any NVMe modded BIOS for your specific mainboard, you will find it >here<.

How did you do the modification and which tool did you use? Can you please post a screenshot with the error message you got?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I took everything from the first page.

1.jpg

@neo370333 :
There is obviously not enough free space within the DXE Volume for the insertion of an additional DXE driver module.
So you will have to remove another (not needed) DXE driver module. Please read the related part of my guide (= start post of this thread).

When working with the NVMe drive, how does it affect the work of other components? The work of the video card is SATA ports?

Usually the inserted NVMe module doesn’t affect any other components.

No, the video card/adapter has nothing to do with the on-board SATA Controllers.

Share the test SSD nvme on the ASUS p8p67 rev 3.1 boards?
Can someone tested it. Or ptopalis ptakie tests?
I wonder how the Samsung 960 EVO (MZ-V6E250BW) will work on this card.

Hi, new poster. I’m struggling for a couple of days to figure out how to mod my Intel DX79SI motherboard’s BIOS (SI0650P.BIO found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa…-?product=55799). I plan to buy an 1 TB NVMe card to boot WIN10 (specifically Samsung PM981 1 TB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe with an adaptor x4 card on the PCI 3.0 slo).

I followed the directions from the first page, but I’m receiving the “Invalid UEFI volume” popup msg with the following related error messages when i save the file:
reconstructSection: GUID defined section authentication info can become invalid
reconstructVolume: root volume can’t be grown

Looks like not enough space, but i did also get some error messages when I opened the un-mod BIOS file (invalid data checksums, dependency expression parsing failed, etc.). I’ve tried to substitute the compressed NvmExpressDxe_3-comp.ffs file, but received the same error. I read that I can remove some DXE drivers such as NTFS, but looking at file GUID I can’t really make heads or tails of where these DXE drivers are located or what any of them relate to. Searching for ‘Ntfs’ text is found in PE32 image section at various offset, but no where in the information do i see NTFS. My file has no comments under the Text column in the tool – just the File GUID, Type and Subtype.

My apologies if this has been covered ad nauseum in this thread. I realize that I am completely far out on a limb out of my element, but I’m determined to make this work. You can tell I am not a programmer. Many thanks for any help… /Rick

@neo370333 :
Can you please explain what you mean? Which is your “test SSD”? What are “ptopalis ptakie tests”?

@JerseyRick :
Hello Rick,
welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since the BIOSes of Intel mainboards are no clean AMI Aptio BIOSes, they cannot be properly modified by using any normal AMI BIOS tool like the UEFITool.
You should ask Intel for an updated BIOS, which contains the required NVMe support.
I am sorry, but I cannot help you with your Intel mainboard.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’m sorry for the error.
Where to find test NVMe drives on motherboards asus p8p67 ? Or test on chipsets p67?

@neo370333 :
Although I still do not really understand your questions, I found a Forum thread, which may be interesting for you.
>Here< you can find an already modded ASUS P8P67 BIOS with full NVMe support (according to the Forum member zazzn, who has offered it).

Hi @Fernando

Thanks for your quick reply. Disappointed to hear this but glad to get confirmation. If anyone could make this happen, I know you would. Great site…keep up the good work.

Regards,
Rick

@Fernando
Can I ask you a question?

This is what you hopefully will get: on the first page.

Benchmark results on you Z68 system 2 different NVMe was carried out in slot PCIe 2.0 x16 (white slot) or PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, (Black slot)) ?
What benchmark results in PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, (Black slot))?

@neo370333 :
As far as I remember, I inserted the NVMe SSD into the PCIe slot No. 2, which is named PCIe 2.0x16_1 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode).

Question for ASUS X79-DELUXE
Hi, I’m in doubt whether to add the NvmExpressDxe_3 module or “replace the body” of an existing module?
The X79-DELUXE has unofficial support for NVMe and can see the NVMe drive in the unmodded BIOS (but will not boot from it unless CSM is enabled).

Here’s the current NVMe related DXE drivers in the unmodded BIOS:

Nvme
----
File GUID: 634E8DB5-C432-43BE-A653-9CA2922CC458
Type: 07h
Attributes: 40h
Full size: 2610h (9744)
Header size: 18h (24)
Body size: 25F8h (9720)
State: F8h
Header checksum: 88h
Data checksum: F3h

NvmeSmm
-------
File GUID: E5E2C9D9-5BF5-497E-8860-94F81A09ADE0
Full size: 1913h (6419)
Body size: 18FBh (6395)
Header checksum: E9h
Data checksum: FBh

NVMEINT13
---------
File GUID: C9A6DE36-FDFF-4FAF-8343-85D9E3470F43
Full size: 8CBh (2251)
Body size: 8B3h (2227)
Header checksum: C9h
Data checksum: CCh

Hi,

I compiled another NVME DXE driver file with the intention of keeping the size of the driver as small as possible by testing different compilers and versions of EDK2.
So this version I present to you all is only 15kb in size and was from EDK2-2014 and compiled with DDK3790 as opposed to Visual Studio or GCC which produce larger sized files.
I have not tested it. So it is untested but it may help if you have limited space in your volume.

Oh I forgot its only 32 Bit:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qc1jd4k4i3ii5ki/nvme14.7z

Heres the 64 Bit version:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8howlb5oppg5mmq/nvme14_64.7z

This one is 20Kb as opposed to 15Kb. Not sure if it matters of the efi driver is 32bit or 64bit? If anyone knows…

Thanks

@Deluxe :
I do not recommend to add or replace any NVMe EFI module, if the mainboard manufacturer has already added the NVMe support to the BIOS.
Furthermore I doubt, that you would benefit from such addition/replacement.
Regarding your CSM problems I suspect, that the reason is not the NVMe EFI module, but the missing EFI BIOS support for another device (graphics card?).

@Fernando
Ok. No, the CSM problem is 100% related to the PCIe adapter (ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD) or the NVMe drive (Samsung 960 EVO). I had CSM disabled until today where I added those two pieces of hardware. I wonder what to try next to have CSM disabled if you don’t recommend replacing any modules. Again, it does not have official support, so I guess the BIOS does not contain the required EFI module?