[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Just update of my issue with Toshiba THNSN5256GPU7: after several attempts to install Win 10, following the point 6 of the Guide on the first page, I did not succeed. The SSD still be not vissible durring Windows installation, even with manual Nvme driver installation from another USB drive.
Yesterday I receive another SSD Tohiba THNSN5256GPUK and both the Bios and Device manager, recognized it without any additional driver installations or BIOS settings, with the Windows native Nvme driver.
I do not know if the difference from the last symbol is decisive, but it is a fact that the new SSD is recognized and works without problems.
Because I can not test the THNSN5256GPU7 SSD of another system, I only have the chance of getting into a bad/faulty SSD drive.
So, Thanks again for your support!

@Gedo :
Thanks for your interesting report.
It is not easy to understand, why the generic Win10 in-box NVMe driver didn’t detect your the Toshiba NVMe SSD model THNSN5256GPU7, whereas it had no problems with the THNSN5256GPUK variant.
Can you please post the HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controllers, which are listed within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager (right-click onto the NVMe Controller > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”)?

Attached in the spoiler.

One clarification: this is a screenshot from my Acer Aspire E5-575G notebook, which I also tried to install the THNSN5256GPU7 drive, but with no success, similar to Asus Rog Strix B-350F Gaming mainboard.
The new SSD THNSN5256GPUK now is mount in my notebook without any problems.

@Gedo :
We all know,
a) that the Toshiba XG4 NVMe SSDs are not supported at all by the latest original OCZ NVMe drivers, but are supported by the latest OCZ drivers, which have been mod+signed by me, and
b) that modified mass storage drivers cannot be used with modern MS Operating Softwares from scratch, because they are not accepted by the Windows OS Setup.
What I cannot understand is, that the generic Win10 in-box NVMe obviously supports some Toshiba XG4 models, but others not.
How can Toshiba sell NVMe SSDs, which cannot even be used?

Good day! Please help me. I flashed the modified BIOS with the driver NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs, downloaded by reference in first page and using ASUS EZ Update utility. The firmware went ok, but my SSD Samsung 960 Pro, connected via the M.2-> PCI Express x16 adapter (video card slot), is not detected in the BIOS. But Windows 10 perfectly sees it and works with it. The last BIOS for my motherboard was downloaded from the site of the ASUS, I checked that it had drivers to support NvmExpress. For testing I tried on a clean firmware, the BIOS can not see the disk. What else can you try to do?
P.S. I noticed one feature in the firmware. If I write the clean bios, then when EZ Update offers to reboot, the computer after Windows 10 shutdown turns off for a couple of seconds, and turns itself on. But if the modified BIOS is flashed, this short-time turns off does not occur, the usual reboot is taking place. I had a suspicion, is the modified BIOS run in this case? Maybe, after the flashing, a check is performed before the reboot, and if the BIOS is somehow “wrong”, then it is restored from a backup (the motherboard supports the DualBIOS technology), or is it booted from the backup?

My system:
MB: ASUS P8H61-M LE R2.0, Intel H61 chipset, B3 revision; CPU: Intel Core i5 3450; Disk Drives: 500 GB Seagate SATA HDD + 500 GB Samsung 960 PRO SSD; Graphics: Onboard, OS: Win10 Pro x64

Hello. I bought ADATA SX8000 NVMe SSD and so far I’m unable to boot it with my ASRock Z97 extreme 4 mobo. I tried standard and modified BIOS as stated on this page, with modified BIOS my drive is detected as PATA, with the standard it shows as ADATA but I’m unable to boot with “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device” message on both. I tried turning off and on various bios settings and nothing, but one thing I noticed is that it says no matter what that M2 is not connected and with disabled CSM it does not even show PATA or ADATA device. On the drive, I have freshly installed W10 (I tried installing it on both modified and standard bios multiple times) that I installed via my USB drive. Any users with a related experience that could give me some kind of help how to be able to boot? Thanks for any reply.

@_N_N :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Please attach the BIOS, which had been modified by you, as *.ZIP or *.RAR archive. Then I will do a look into it and check, whether the NVMe module has been inserted the correct way.

How did you recognize it? Have you seen any Disk Drive named “PATA_SS:” within the BIOS?

I have checked the latest BIOS 4601 as well, but could not find any NVMe module within it.

Provided, that you have correctly inserted the NVMe module into the BIOS, you should be able to get Win10 installed onto your NVMe SSD, if you follow my advices layed down within the start post.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@BladeRX :

Here are my comments:
1. Since all original BIOSes for your mainboard from v2.40 up natively support NVMe, you can and should use the latest original ASRock BIOS.
2. It was not a good idea to additionally insert any NVMe module into the BIOS, which contained already the required NVMe module.
3. Regarding the installation of Win10 onto your NVMe SSD please read the related part of my guide carefully and follow my advices.

I suspect, that you haven’t installed the OS in UEFI mode.
Requirements:
a) In the BIOS you have to enable the detection of EFI modules and to disable the “Secure Boot” and “Fast Boot” options.
b) Before you start with the OS installation, you should unplug all connected HDDs/SSDs (except the target NVMe SSD).
c) The USB Flash drive has to be FAT32-formatted.
d) When the BOOT Manager shows up, you have to choose the option “[UEFI] XXXX” (XXXX=name of the USB Flash drive).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you!

Please attach the BIOS, which had been modified by you, as *.ZIP or *.RAR archive. Then I will do a look into it and check, whether the NVMe module has been inserted the correct way.
Ok, tonight!

How did you recognize it? Have you seen any Disk Drive named "PATA_SS:" within the BIOS?
Unfortunally no, always only HDDs and DVDROM

Provided, that you have correctly inserted the NVMe module into the BIOS, you should be able to get Win10 installed onto your NVMe SSD, if you follow my advices layed down within the start post.
Well, now for me the main thing is that the SSD can be seen in the BIOS. After that I want to transfer Windows from HDD to it

You may not see the NVMe SSD within the BIOS, but you will nevertheless be able to boot off it.

This will not work, because your currently used system drive is not connected to the same Controller as your future system drive. Both system drives need a completely different storage driver.
That is why I recommend to do a fresh OS installation directly onto the NVMe SSD. This way the target system drive can use the matching NVMe driver (the inbox Win10 one) from scratch.

P8H61-M-LE-R2-ASUS-1408_mod2.rar (3.73 MB)

@_N_N :
The modded BIOS seems to be fine, but I cannot understand, why you did not follow my guide.
Why have you inserted the meanwhile outdated NVMe module named NvmExpressDxe, which may not support all modern NVMe SSDs?

Hello. I recently purchased ADATA XPG SX8000 NVMe drive and I have been trying to boot it up for 3 days now. My motherboard is ASRock Z97 Extreme 4, which officially does not support Gen3 x4, however, I’m able to see the drive and I successfully installed the W10 OS multiple times already. However, the problem is that I’m unable to boot it up. I tried turning off and on various settings in BIOS including CSM (on disabled I cannot see the drive at all). The only successful partial success is with CSM Enabled, I’m able to set it up as priority booting device in the BIOS, however, I will get a “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device” error. I’m desperate, I tried everything by now, and if I will not be able to get it working I will probably return it. Did anyone had a similar problem with following driver or motherboard? Do I need something specific? I will be glad for any help.

PC configuration: ASRock Z97 Extreme 4, ADATA XPG SX8000 512 GB, i7 4790k, 2 WD Blue 1TB drives.

@BladeRX :
Since your problem is not OS specific and a matching thread already exists, I have moved your second post, which is quite similar to your first one (look >here<), into this thread.
Good luck!

Yes, it looks like I’m confused, the wrong driver was introduced. I downloaded it again and created a new BIOS. And even with the firmware did as recommended for motherboards asus: before flash the firmware changed the file name to a modified one. And this time the bios was flash correctly, with the power turned off. And in it appeared SSD! Further under the instruction put Windows 10, all perfectly has passed, the system flies! Very thanks!!!

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• re-optimized: uncompressed and pre-compressed “NvmExpressDxe_Small” modules (now dated 03/31/2018)
  • These modules have been compiled by our Forum member Ethaniel and successfully tested by me (look >here<)

A big thankyou goes to Ethaniel for his brilliant work!

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Please tell me how to change the version or date in the modified BIOS. Since I can not update it through the BIOS itself, it says that such version is already installed. And through Windows produces an error
3 - error: rom file size does not match existing bios size

Updates of the BIOS from Asus, is not put, says that I do not have a laptop Asus.
Bios my correct is taken from the site of Asus

@km2001 :

The version doesn’t change by modifying the BIOS and the BIOS date doesn’t matter.
Please attach the original and the modded BIOS as *.ZIP or *.RAR file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

there are three bios, the original, modified, and the one after which everything fell off
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VkJssU…3Lpt1J0ZDfaOyYv

Where are they?