[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Who says that?
I haven’t yet seen a proof for this statement.

Hi, and thank you.

No, I dont see why it should affect the raid.
Anyhow, it was stated in the first post (your guide*) so I just wanted to know. Have to HDD in raid for local storage in the computer I will need to move some data, preferably before changing to the modded BIOS if it cant or shouldnt be used.

If I understand this correctly I shouldnt use Raid on the intel controller, but if I also have another sata controller that can do Raid on the mobo, that would be ok?

@AAKEE :
My quoted statement was a precaution advice and only designed for users, who are starting with the installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD.
As soon as the OS installation (incl. all Windows Updates) has been completed and you are able to boot into the OS without any problems, you can try to set any on-board SATA Controller to “RAID” mode.

Thanks Fernando, Ethaniel and EDK2 Team for this great work!

MB: Asus H87M-PRO (Intel H87)
BIOS: 2102 dated 2015-03-20
NVMe module: NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs dated 2018-04-18
UEFI BIOS modding tool: CodeRush’s UEFITool v0.22.4
NVMe-to-PCIe adapter: OCZ ADSSD-PCI-M2-GR
SSD: Intel 760p SSDPEKKW512G8XT (installed to PCIe 2.0 x4 slot)

Bios patched, renamed to H87MPRO.CAP & flashed via ASUS USB Flashback.

after-flashing.png

After Windows 10 UEFI installation.

after-windows-10-installation.png

SATA Plextor M5S 256GB vs NVMe Intel 760p 512GB (PCIe 2.0 x4 slot)

crystaldiskmark-plextor-px-256m5s.png

vs

crystaldiskmark-intel-760p.png

Patched ASUS H87M-PRO 2102 BIOS (7MB) - H87M-PRO-ASUS-2102+NVMe.zip

@Ethaniel
I updated my Z68 system to your Nvmexpressdxe_4 module and it went pretty smoothly. Can even boot by selecting PATA SS. Not sure if my original Nvmexpress driver allowed that or not.

In any case was looking in the Virtualbox Uefi Rom file and I found a Nvmexpress Dxe driver. Its only 19 Kb. I haven’t tested it at all so if anyone wants to try it out do so at your own risk.
Looks like an EDK driver to me:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/srgnk7xgl4…essDxe.zip/file

Hi!

Can you help me? I have Asus Z87-a mobo. I have done the bios modding according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qRvvCWpWA (I cant find PcieLaneDXE line in my bios, so inserted under ProjectDXE) I did everithing as in the description flashed the bios (by afudos), turned off fast boot, secure boot and csm, but not working, cant find the nvme ssd in the boot section, I can see the ssd under the windows so its working. What is wrong???

@HSerg :
@animatrix11 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Exactly this was your mistake.
Please re-read the start post of this thread carefully. The last (undermost) listed DXE Driver varies with each mainboard model and version. The module named PcieLaneDXE is neither always present nor - if present - always the undermost listed one.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Maybe if I send you the bios file, can you instert the nvme module for me? Big thanks!

@animatrix11 :
No, I will not do that. I haven’t written the guide with the intention to modify the user’s BIOSes myself.
All I can offer is to do a last view into your modded BIOS and to tell you whether it looks good or not.

@davidm71 :
I’m glad that NvmExpressDxe_4 worked for you.

VirtualBox is using a fork UDK2014 that is very outdated and has the first stable release of NvmExpressDxe.

NvmExpressDxe_Small provides all the relevant features present in UDK2014 but also incorporates fixes and improvements up to UDK2018. Although I’ve removed component name protocol support to reduce size, your system would not use it because it always displays “PATA SS”.

If you are looking for a small UEFI NVMe driver, NvmExpressDxe_Small is my recommendation over NvmExpressDxe from VirtualBox.

Note that NvmExpressDxe_4 is based on UDK2018 with no features removed, so it is larger.

Ok I uploaded my modded bios, can you check me pls? If the module not inserted to the right place, can you tell me witch line to add?

mod4.rar (4.85 MB)

@ethaniel

I dont have any size constraints and using the Nvmeexpressdxe-4 driver. As far as component name support theres no way to pass on the name of the device to the bios program beyond PATA SS?

@animatrix11 :
The insertion of the NVMe module has been done the absolutely correct way.
Good flashing and enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!

Спасибо все работает на моей плате Asus z87-Expert

What does that mean?

ok, if its ok why is not working???

What means “not working”?
Were you able to flash the modded BIOS? If yes, does the BIOS show a new Disk Drive named “PATA SS”? If yes, everything is prepared for the installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD.

What does that mean?

Translation from Russian - Thanks, works fine on ASUS Z87-EXPERT.

@davidm71 :
"PATA SS" is not coming from NvmExpressDxe, and the driver has little control over what is being displayed by the setup utility. I believe that early AMI UEFI BIOS versions have no support for displaying the component name returned by the driver.

Note that newer AMI UEFI BIOS versions display the component name returned by the driver just fine.

Unfortunately I am unaware of a solution for this and I have no access to a motherboard that is displaying "PATA SS" so I cannot analyze the issue either.

I backuped the bios, looks correct, I took pictures from the ssd, nvme module, and the bios options, no new options on boot section, can you check pls?

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

ssd.png

ubu.png

@animatrix11 :
You will never see the name of the NVMe SSD shown as bootable device within the “BOOT” section of the BIOS. Nevertheless you can boot off it after having installed the OS onto the NVMe SSD (provided you have done everything correctly).
The first step is to boot in UEFI mode off the USB Flash Drive, which contains the desired Win10 image. Then you will see, whether your NVMe SSD is detected by the Win10 Setup or not. If yes, everything will be fine after having completed the OS installation.
Don’t forget to unplug/disable all other Disk Drives, bfore you start with the OS installation.