[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando

Yeah it’s connected fine, I’m able to access the drive through windows explorer.

I’ve attached an image of the AFUDOS result after the flash attempt.

IMG_20190721_180952.jpg

@Outbreak :
Did you follow exactly this guide?

1. Copy the original (untouched) BIOS file into the same directory as the file AFUWINx64.exe.
  2. Flash the original BIOS by running the following Command Prompt (as Admin):

afuwinx64.exe <NAME OF THE ORIGINAL BIOS>.CAP

3. Replace the original BIOS within the AFUWIN64 folder by the modded one (must have the extension *.ROM!).
  4. Flash the modded BIOS by running the following Command Prompt as Admin:

afuwinx64.exe <NAME OF THE MODDED BIOS>.ROM /GAN

5. The UEFI BIOS should now be fully re-flashed and updated! Reboot and give it a try!

@Fernando :

No, I couldn’t find a afuwinx64.exe that worked. I’ve found a download of it so I’m testing it now, will update in a moment.

Attached is the AFUWinx64 tool v3.07.01 dated 02/02/2015, which is currently offered by AMI for Aptio IV BIOSes.

afuwin64.zip (840 KB)

@Fernando
I tried the one I found and it flashed but didn’t add any PATA under boot.

I then tried the version you sent me but it it says
Unknown command or option : /GAN
1 - Error : Unknown Command

@Outbreak :
The topic of this thread is not “How to get a modded BIOS properly flashed”.
Please post your problem into >this< thread and ask there for help.

@Fernando :
The flashing seems to have worked with AMI v5.05.04. I’ve extracted the original before flashing and I’ve extracted the bios after flashing and the NvmExpressDxe_4 is in there.
The SSD still isn’t showing though when checking BIOS BOOT section.

P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501_orig.rar (3.94 MB)

P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501_modded.rar (3.94 MB)

@Outbreak :
Why didn’t you follow my advice to post your problems about how to get the modded BIOS properly flashed into >this< thread?
I cannot really help you with this, but I found reports, that the last AFUWIN version, which supports the " /GAN" command, is the attached v3.05.04 dated 07/11/2015.

Please check your BIOS settings. The NVME SSD will only be shown by the BIOS, if the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) has been ENABLED within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS.

AFUWIN64_v3.05.04.rar (715 KB)

@Fernando :
I replied here again because after extracting the flashed bios it had the correct NvmExpressDxe_4 file showing in there so the flash appeared to work.
I’ll attempt it again with the attached file and post on the other thread if it’s unsuccessful.

@Fernando :
I’ve done it using the last file you attached. BIOS now shows PATA SS. (Thanks again)
I’ll now attempt to install windows 10 pro as bootable disk.

@Fernando :
Everything is done and working perfectly now. Booting from Samsung 970 Pro 1TB.
The hardest part is finding the files that work for the version of MB and bios. The last one you shared did the job.

Thanks for the guide and extra help.

@outbreak:
Congratulations!

What you certainly mean is to find the specific AFUWIN version, which supports your system and the " /GAN" command as well.

Hello, first post, but I figured it might be helpful for someone with the same motherboard to know that the NVME bios flash succeeded on my MSI Z87-G45 Gaming.

I have added an Adata XPG SX8200 PRO and there seem to be NO issues (running MXlinux on it).

P.S. Thanks for all the hard work Fernando.

Hi,

I have a Maximus V Formula and an NVMe Samsing SSD 960 500GB.

Would this BIOS update work for that setup?

Cheers,
Barry

@Knuckles and @barryt06 : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
@Knuckles : Thanks for your feedback!
@barryt06 : Yes, it will work with your Intel Z77 chipset mainboard.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Thank you. Just to confirm, this is the current version? AFUWIN64_v3.05.04.rar

Cheers,
Barry

This is not the newest AFUWIN version, but AFAIK the latest, which supports the " /GAN" command.
Its usage is only recommended for ASUS mainboards without the USB Flashback feature.

I have a 5.05.04 (GUI and CMD Line) that is supposed to support /GAN, any way you can check to confirm this @Fernando ?
I do also have 3.06.01, which for sure supports /GAN - let me know if you need copy

@Lost_N_BIOS :
AFAIK all AFUWIN versions, which belong to the v5 platform (currently latest: v5.12.00 dated 02/21/2019), were designed by AMI for being used with AMI Aptio V BIOSes.
Since all AMI UEFI BIOSes without native NVMe support are AMI Aptio IV ones, users of this specific thread should better take an AFUWIN version of the v3.xx.xx series (currently latest, but without /GAN support: v3.09.03 dated 08/25/2017), which have been designed for AMI Aptio IV BIOSes.

@Fernando - yes, I did not mention or even consider what BIOS type to use anything with, only said I have xx V5 tool that allows GAN and asked if you wanted to check to confirm (for the V/V5 one)
For the V3, I was only saying I had a newer version that allows GAN, than the version you mentioned, and was asking if you wanted a copy.
Also, many Aptio V BIOS do not support NVME too, so it’s not only Aptio IV BIOS that may need NVME Mod