HP Laptop Me state recovery, unable to flash firmware: solved

ok sorry to say but I give up.

tried all the short combination with wires (double checked), with al known reset and key presses. In my case it did not unlock de ME.
Thank god the laptop is still ok after 15 times taking the parts on and off. This is not a repair friendly model, never seen that many (diffrent) screws in it.
maybe maybe I will try once a other bios chip to see what will happen. It keeps strange that the ME Recovery message does not appear when the system is power less for a while, bios battery still attached, laptop accu detached.

@plutomaniac Thank you very very much for helping me. Without you I was still stuck with the flashing part. I learned a lot!

Happy new year.

Jeroen

You’re welcome. Since this or similar issues are affecting a lot of HP users, please let us know if you even manage to find a solution. Happy new year! :slight_smile:

hmmm while seraching for the dell I found a topic with this chip 92HD90B2X5
this time there was a poor picture attached, I have searched on that mainboard to find the actual pin-out. I put this togheter, what do you think ?
if this is right and my chip is some how the same I had 2 times the wrong pins.

thanks

dell-idt-chip.jpg

It’s funny, the actual chip has a pointer dot but the pin diagrams do not. Since you couldn’t get it to work at HP as well, it’s very likely that we picked the wrong pins. Maybe pin 1 is at some other side. Maybe the dot is where it starts? I don’t know so it’s a matter of testing at this point.

tried also on the other side diffrent pins but unfortunately no discriptor unlock.
next steps will be a other bios chip and or a programmer I have to think about it. But in both cases I think I need help.
worst case I will leave it totaly …

Yes, if that fails you’ll need a programmer and possibly chip soldering/desoldering unfortunately.

I ordered a chip and looking for a programmer with clip.

just to be sure a spi image Cleanup can only be done with youre own ME image right ? so it make no sence to ask bios suppier to flash a unlocked me image in it.

edit
small side question about THIS
How do extract that from the bios ? I am now try to get some running on my desktop but is has Intel Small Business Advantage so no remote boot, cant find the asus unlock http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8B75-M_LX/E7992_P8B75-M_LX.pdf?_ga=1.145644727.245635587.1461152857 and wanted to verify if some is locked in the ME firmware of this asus bios. On system offcource all is locked.

It’s a laptop so if you get a new chip you will need to do soldering/desoldering regardless. Even if the new chip arrives with a locked FD, you could easily change that with the programmer before soldering the chip on the board. You will also fix your problem at the same time, all before soldering it back. But yes, if you want, tell the sender to leave the Flash Descriptor unlocked (hopefully they know how). Now, if you try the programmer + clip on the existing chip (best solution to avoid any soldering), it might not work if the programmer has not enough current to power the whole board for the reading and reflashing as I experienced here. Hopefully it will work for you that way.

As for the other thing, extract what exactly? The first picture is from Flash Image Tool. Download the latest BIOS from ASUS and check the status of ME Features.

yes true, but also when some go’s wrong I have a spare and I will not have to remove it couple of times, just once is fine. Thats why I will go for both.
thanks for the tip, the one you have bought is that ok ? ( I also did read that :)) I have mailed some suppliers but no one has the total package for sale without weeks of delivery.

ah with “the ME region extracted from the latest ASUS 1601 SPI image” you mean you download the asus ME firmware and did not get that out of the bios file ?
I thought you get the ME firmware out of the bios file of asus, and like to know how you did that, in case of my asus board of the desktop.

are you sure it s the best way ? ebay has some “Hp Probook 650 G1” for less than 300 euro…
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/HP-PROBOOK-650-G1…3sAAOSwOtdYTqlD
you should update the cpu or the vga [ after reading well the manual to make good choices ] with ebay… i have two hp touchsmat 600 [ one from hp one from ebay ] i changed their cpu for few euros…same with the nvidia 210 that came with the first : i have a hd7700 now…
these days i took two rx480 at amazon at 240 euro each plus a second hand cpu 12 core for the same amount
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/162339932241
i ll install them on my sabertooth x79 and will try the VR with the coming helmet from htc vive… next win10 should be VR Ready…
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139289-m…creators-update
hope that will help you

You mean the programmer? Yes, just fine. I used it elsewhere, for the laptop I had to ask someone to solder/desolder.

I’m not sure what you are asking me. You can view the ME settings in FITC even if it’s inside a SPI image. I just downloaded the latest SPI from ASUS and opened it with FITC. If you want to extract the ME region for some reason you can either do it manually by knowing the basics about Intel’s FD or by using tools such as UEFITool.

I am still in the "game"
This week a CH341A sould arrive and the seller told me my chip is supported. And a friend of mini give me a mtx spi nand flasher, more use for xbox but it also should do the trick, at the moment I do not have it running yet.
I do have a cool clip, no wating for the rest.

I should make a backup of the complete rom right ? but how do I extract the me so it can be made clean? next question would be how to flash only that part back …
When I have the hardware and does do something I also will try some search terms on the forum.

Jeroen

edit:

Understood and thanks

As long as you can read, dump & flash the SPI chip, the other stuff are trivial. You can use the cleanup guide at the full SPI dump. With such programmers, you always flash back the entire SPI image, not just a section. I suggest this: if you manage to dump the full SPI image, compress and attach it here and I’ll clean it for you. There is a chance that such cleaning is the only thing your HP needs (hope for the best, expect the worse like HP provisioning gone rogue as previously discussed) so at least lets make sure it’s done properly.

Yes! I got the programmer, at the moment I am testing it on a other winbond chip from a asus laptop.
It reads the total chip what results in 4mb, the asus bios file it self is 2mb so I gues the other space is ME firmware ?
If I only would like to “recover” the bios file from 2mb , is that possible ? How to tell the ch341a v1.29 program to do that ?
I can’t find that info in the guide what is posted here. ( Guide )

I will try today to read out the hp 650 laptop bios chip.

also the new hp bios chip I bought is 16mb when reading it. ( i bought is with pre-programmed bios in it )

I will attached the asus learning/example
One original bios other full read out of the programmer. Then it should be clear what I mean.

BIOS Read.rar (2.71 MB)

yes got it !

it seems my bios is in a clip and not solderd.
I now have the new bios of the supplier in it, it is the wrong one but does boot. I wil try to update in to the right one, fun was that the dmi tools did work this time.

Bios-file

thanks in advance !!

So you replaced the SPI chip with the pre-flashed one? Does it work without the ME error?

The attached file is the old chip’s dump, right? It seems properly dumped but the BIOS region of the SPI is either corrupted or not properly dumped. Since the ME region seems ok, it has to be the former. Your problems must certainly be due to that broken BIOS. I could clean the ME but with such a BIOS, it won’t matter.

No matter what, make sure to keep backups of whatever you have (old chip dump, new chip “wrong bios” dump etc) just in case.

correct, but gives me in commited state , all serial data was gone but was able to fill it in again. but error stays, vpro now seems unconfigured.

the last link is the real dump as we have spoken before indeed.
oh ok, I can read it in fit and try to do cleanup as you wrote.

yes I will save all, I have to change te pre programed chip to l78 1.39 it is now l77 1.39 and won’t have amd bios in it.

Is the program ok ? the 1.29

Try the ME cleanup guide on your dump. I’d be surprised if it actually solved the problem with that BIOS. The stock BIOS from HP doesn’t have these problems. But now that you have the required tools, certainly give it a go.

I think that the ME must not be left at an unprovisioned state. So you should enter MEBx after the cleanup and configure everything. Maybe the cleanup + provisioning of the ME is enough.

I don’t have any knowledge on the HP DMI tools or similar (I assume you are referring to those with that “1.29”), only ME. But it would be very interesting if you managed to fix this issue in some way.

the 1.29 as the bios read/write program

Ah, you got a CH341A. Yes, I used the archive uploaded by CodeRush at his thread as well. It was a long time ago, don’t remember the version. And it doesn’t matter, if it works and can read/write, you are ok.