Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Thanks for the info plutomaniac. I have two bios chips on this board so all still good. The only difference I see to this point is boot takes a few seconds longer as it holds on code 04 for a few seconds before going on into windows.

Tried "greset" command with flash Tool, got reboot but still the same.

Alright, no problem. You should switch to the 2nd chip until the problem on the first is resolved. For the record, if the SPI chips are socketed/removable, you can use a cheap 5$ programmer to bright back up and running.

If it is removable could I not just replace it? That is if a new bios does not help.

Youā€™ll end up spending $30-$40 for a new chip. Better off buying a Ch341a and doing it yourself.

Is this the same one?
https://www.amazon.ca/Programmer-CH341A-ā€¦r/dp/B01D4CXYJE

Is there anything else required? Link for instructions so I can start reading please. Thanks guys.

editā€¦ I believe the bios chips on my board are soldered in, so I guess this option is out for me as well now.

Thereā€™s a dead link in the first post section A3 - ā€œIntel MEI v11.0.6.1194 for Consumer systems Drivers & Softwareā€. Clicking it I get ā€œFatal error - attempt to access unpublished file by non-admin userā€. Does anybody have a working link? Iā€™m trying to get an older Z77 board up and running.

Yes thatā€™s the one. Youā€™ll need a soic 8 jumper cable as well. When I did mine I watched a lot of YouTube videos. Important to pay attention to orientation of pin one on the cable and adapter plate that interfaces onto the Ch341a. All on you tube.

Read this thread:
[Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM (7)

To our esteemed gurus on this thread was wondering can I use UefiTool to ā€˜Replace as isā€™ ME Region in the bios file to do a quick ME and Bios update all at once? For example upgrading 8.1.52 to 8.1.70ā€¦ or will machine specific settings not get transfered that way?

Thanks

Yes thatā€™s the one. Youā€™ll need a soic 8 jumper cable as well. When I did mine I watched a lot of YouTube videos. Important to pay attention to orientation of pin one on the cable and adapter plate that interfaces onto the Ch341a. All on you tube.

Read this thread:
[Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM (7)

Would this soic 8 jumper cable suffice? Thanks again.

https://www.amazon.ca/SOIC8-flash-socketā€¦%2F24%2F25%2F93

Yes itā€™s the same one I bought. Next I would advise you post to the CH341a thread as now going off topic.

Good luck.

@ ScottMN:

Fixed that one. Need to fix some older stuff too. Thanks for letting me know.

@ davidm71:

Proper settings wonā€™t be transferred, you need to use Flash Image Tool first on your own BIOS. Read CleanUp Guideā€™s Section A.

@ Winter17:

Indeed the two BIOS chips are soldered. You can get a SOIC8 clip though, as already figured out. Regarding CH341A, from what Wootever figured out recently over at the CH341A thread, the black PCB version uses incorrect voltage without doing a small mod so if you can find the green PCB, get that. Generally, I advise you to read the CH341A thread to understand more and post there, in case of questions regarding its functionality or otherwise.

Thanks for the link. Will read it over. May be just easier to manually update the ME via a Cmd prompt but still like to know how to include it inside a bios file for sharing.

As far as the Black Ch341A voltage issue I was apprehensive at first. Even bought another programmer with voltage selection option called a BlackcatUSB programmer. Failed to recognize my chip.
In the end I used the Black CH341A I had as I had nothing to lose and it worked, and my system board survived however its a good point and Winter17 should look into buying the Green version
just to be safe. Which exact one I donā€™t know.

Pluto,

If I have successfully flashed an ME update can I just use FTK to dump the provisioned ME file and use it to replace the old me region with Uefitool on my last bios release? Or would that rom be only good for my machine and no one elseā€™s?

Thanks

1. Do not use FTK as it is old and not updated anymore. Instead, use the tools directly from the System Tools packages.
    2. Your own dump is meant for your own system only, do not share it with others. That includes the CS(ME) firmware.
    3. To create a SPI/BIOS update for others, the CS(ME) region should be in ā€œConfiguredā€ state (CleanUp Guide, Section A).
    4. You can follow the CleanUp Guide to create a SPI/BIOS update with proper (CS)ME firmware for 3rd-party sharing.

So assuming I was able to configure a ā€˜Cleanā€™ ME Region and using Uefitool to replace the ME region with my new cleaned ME file as I understand the bios rom will be ready to be flashed on another exact motherboard but will need:

fpt -greset

To be run??

Or is that only if you update the new boards ME with FWupdlcl in a command window?

Thanks

PS: Went through the steps and think i get it now what to doā€¦ Thanks

If motherboard has dual BIOS and assume the main bios is buggy(and reflashing with built-in utility doesnt affect), forcing the procedure of recovering main bios from backup bios is equal to flashing it with built-in utility or it is more advanced algorithm(mby first erases all data on main chip and then fully rewrites it, similar to hardware programmer)?

Intel MEI Driver v11.7.0.1050 MEI-Only Installer

@ andr84:

No idea, that is solely OEM dependent.

Intel MEI v11.7.0.1054 for Corporate systems Drivers & Software

Intel CSME System Tools v11 r5

Can I update Consumer PCH-LP v11.0.26.3000 to v11.8.50.3425 through the Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility v11.8.50.3425 ? (from the Intel CSME System Tools v11 r5)

Yes you can. Mind the three Warnings (1st/2nd CSME v11 and PCH-LP 100-series) in the first post please.