Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Gotcha!

In the past Fernando recommended the v9.0.0.1287 driver as the 9.5.x drivers and up are primarily for 7- and 8-series systems. Can you confirm? Or is the v10.0.30.1054 driver the recommendation today?

The ME driver does not really make any difference. v10 supports everything from 6-series & up and I recommend for you to install that.

Ok. Regarding flashing the ME firmware, I usually just use the MEInfo tool and restart the system. I read a few posts above and you said to him to "restart MAC". What does that mean?

That person has an Apple computer called MacBook. Nothing important.

To flash you need to use v8.x FWUpdate tool. The detailed instructions can be found at the main topic, scroll down a bit.

Done :slight_smile: What the heck, I meant FWUpdate in my previous post. Thanks for the help.

Sure, donā€™t forget to also run MEManuf & MEInfo after flashing and restarting your system. Commands:

MEInfoWin64 (it should not report any errors)
MEManufWin64 (it should report MEManuf Operation Passed in green letters)

I did those and all is good :slight_smile: To install the driver though, should I just do it in device manager and let it automatically detect which inf file is appropriate? It will get the proper .sys files inside the x86/x64 folder, right?

My laptop is a Sager NP8130 and has an HM65 chipset. What ME firmware/driver is recommend for it?

I totally agree with plutomaniac.

Yes, that is the correct and safest way to install a driver (but will only work this way with WHQL certified drivers, which are newer than the currently running ones).

I totally agree with plutomaniac.

Yes, that is the correct and safest way to install a driver (but will only work this way with WHQL certified drivers, which are newer than the currently running ones).

I do have a good memory, lol.

Thanks for the explanation, at least now everything is clear :slight_smile:

I have a Clevo W25xHNx (Sager NP3250) laptop with an HM65 chipset as well. Iā€™m running ME firmware v7.1.60.1193 & v10.0.30.1054 drivers under Windows 8.1 x64 perfectly fine. You shouldnā€™t experience any issues even for our older 6-series systems.

I have a Clevo W25xHNx (Sager NP3250) laptop with an HM65 chipset as well. Iā€™m running ME firmware v7.1.60.1193 & v10.0.30.1054 drivers under Windows 8.1 x64 perfectly fine. You shouldnā€™t experience any issues even for our older 6-series systems.

Thanks.

Does this mean something when I ran MEInfoWin on my laptop? Well, it doesnā€™t use an Intel LAN card so Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s what the error means but I just want to confirm.

Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 7.1.52.1180
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2011, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

PMXUtil: Error during PMX Call: PMxDrv!MAPPHYS - Bad Input Parameters
GBE Region does not exist.
Intel(R) ME code versions:

BIOS Version: 4.6.4
MEBx Version: 0.0.0.0
Gbe Version: Unknown
VendorID: 8086
PCH Version: 5
FW Version: 7.1.60.1193
UNS Version: Not Available
LMS Version: Not Available
MEI Driver Version: 10.0.30.1054
Wireless Hardware Version: 0.1.70
Wireless Driver Version: 15.14.0.2

FW Capabilities: 17833056

Intel(R) Anti-Theft Technology - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service - PRESENT/ENABLED
Protect Audio Video Path - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader - PRESENT/ENABLED

CPU Upgrade State: Upgrade Capable
Cryptography Support: Disabled
Last ME reset reason: Power up
Local FWUpdate: Enabled
BIOS and GbE Config Lock: Unknown
Host Read Access to ME: Disabled
Host Write Access to ME: Disabled
SPI Flash ID #1: 1C3016
SPI Flash ID VSCC #1: 20052005
SPI Flash BIOS VSCC: 20052005
BIOS boot State: Post Boot
OEM Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
OEM Tag: 0x00000000
EPID Group ID: 437

This is not a mistake, but your current computer without Intel Ethernet card

@kevindd992002 Yes, everything looks just fine. Run MEManuf as well as I said above and thatā€™s all.

@Lipid Did you apply the new v9.5 firmware on your MAC? Did everything work out as expected?

Unfortunately, no positive result for me. Here is what I get:

I was a bit scared as it stated that the update procedure was still in progress. I rebooted Windows then, checked meinfowin64 - same fw there, 9.5.3.1526. Checked memanufwin64 -verbose - everything is ok, all tests passed in green.

Later I compared the dump I made with fptw64 -d BIOS.BIN -me with the firmware provided here (9.5.41.1904), and there is a difference in sizes - 1.55 MB vs 1.48 MB. So mine native ME firmware is larger than the one provided here. Probably thatā€™s why fwupdlcl returns me an error about invalid image lengthā€¦

I also made a second ā€˜updateā€™-dump with fwupdlcl64 -save OLD2.BIN (which is 944 KB for me) after this unsucessful attempt and compared it with my original dump OLD.BIN to confirm that they are the same with identical checksum.

Normally this should not matter for FWUpdate. Your extracted ME region has a hex size of 18E000 (1.55MB), so I added some FF padding to the updated firmware image and made it 1.55MB (18E000) size as well. Try the attached file. Also donā€™t be scared of FWUpdate, itā€™s safe as it checks everything. FPT on the other hand is not (when flashing, not dumping).

ME9.5_1.5M_Production(FixedSize).rar (1.09 MB)

Itā€™s very strange, as everybody else here could flash their firmwares normally with provided me-files from the first page. Does it mean that normally there is a reserved space 1,48 MB for ME region in all PC-based bioses\uefis while Mac for some reason is reserving 1,55 mb for its ME-region in the UEFI?

Is the 10.x.x.x driver posted in the first page the latest one? If it is, is it safe to assume that if another latest driver comes out that takes over as the recommended driver?

No, to my current knowledge FWUpdate "converts" the full ME regions to Update files (less than 1MB) and then flashes them. We have no confirmation for that though so I may be wrong. Did you try to flash the new .bin file I attached above?

Obviously

Not yet. I doubt if I should try once again after the firts unsuccessful attemptā€¦

It is not something to be afraid of but itā€™s your decision. Another thing to try otherwise would be to flash a v9.5.41.1094 ME Update image but we need to find someone which has already that firmware applied in order to generate the update file from within FWUpdate tool.