Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Hi Guys,

first of all great thread.
Did just update ME Firmware on 2 systems today, worked like a charm.

I also wanted to update ME Firmware on my personal rig.
But I am not sure which Firmware I should use.

HWInfo says it is “Lynx Point Server Advanced” Chipset.
So I am wondering what Firmware fits to this?

What I found out yet is, that the Board only has the 1.5MB Firmware.
I guess it should be “B.1 Consumer Systems” ? (What irony for a server chipset -.-)
But which one?
It is Lynx Point, and no Apple…

But this firmware should be wrong since I am on 9.0 Firmware and not 9.5
Intel ME 9.5 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.5.55.1948
For Lynx Point Haswell systems which come with ME firmware v9.5.x

So should I take the one for 8 Series chipset?
Intel ME 9.0 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.0.31.1487
For 8-series systems which come with ME firmware v9.0.x

What I’ve read, the 9.1 Firmware would not be suitable, I should stick to the 9.0 ?

Until now i thought since it is kind of “servergrade” i would at least get
the full “vpro experience” on it, what is one reason why i chose this board :confused:
Latest BIOS is installed on the board.

Here’s what MEInfo says:

GBE Region does not exist.
Intel(R) ME code versions:

BIOS Version: 2202
MEBx Version: 0.0.0.0000
Gbe Version: Unknown
VendorID: 8086
PCH Version: 5
FW Version: 9.0.30.1482 H
LMS Version: 11.0.0.1167
MEI Driver Version: 11.0.0.1166
Wireless Hardware Version: Not Available
Wireless Driver Version: Not Available

FW Capabilities: 0x01101940

Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service - PRESENT/ENABLED
Protect Audio Video Path - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader - PRESENT/ENABLED

TLS: Disabled
Last ME reset reason: Power up
Local FWUpdate: Enabled
BIOS Config Lock: Enabled
Host Read Access to ME: Disabled
Host Write Access to ME: Disabled
SPI Flash ID #1: EF4017
SPI Flash ID VSCC #1: 20252025
SPI Flash BIOS VSCC: 20252025
BIOS boot State: Post Boot
OEM Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Capability Licensing Service: Enabled
OEM Tag: 0x00000000
Localized Language: Unknown
Independent Firmware Recovery: Disabled

My system:
Xeon E3-1245v3
Asus P9D WS
16 GB Kingston RAM
Crucial M500 960GB
MSI GTX770 2GB

And some screenshots of HWInfo

Hope u could help me with this :slight_smile:

@ realmax:

Your board has 1.5MB 9.0 firmware so the latest you can update to is 1.5MB 9.0.31.1487. The 9.5 variant is for Mobile LP systems.

In theory all 9.0 systems are supposed to be up-gradable to 9.1 firmware. However, the OEM needs to update the BIOS first in order to support the new minor version (x.1) properly. Since your board still has 9.0 firmware I suggest you stay at that minor version. In some cases the OEM has updated the BIOS to support 9.1 firmware but they still include 9.0 out of boredom. If you have an unlocked flash descriptor and want to give it a try, you can easily flash 9.1 firmware but if the BIOS is not compatible you will experience some BCLK (not at 100MHz) & fan control issues after which you will have to downgrade to 9.0. Due to these facts I have put a warning at the first post to avoid users flashing 9.1 firmware on systems that have 9.0 and BIOS’ which do not support the new minor version.

Also, you are not getting any AMT, KVM etc capabilities with a 1.5MB firmware and system. Some more research before buying is needed then.

@realmax
It may be a server chipset but it’s more a workstation MB hence the name.
You will have difficulty to find a server motherboard with a “corporate” ME, because on servers OOB management is provided by BMC which exposes IPMI implementations like ILO, DRAC etc.

Concerning ME 9.1, it is required to support Broadwell CPUs. As of now, your motherboard doesn’t support them so BIOS has no be re-engineered/customized to accept ME 9.1.
You could ask Asus to support them because for me this situation is in contradiction with http://www.asus.com/News/3py20jkmnhleyK52

HTH

@plutomaniac
OK, thanks for the info.
If I upgrade ME then I will stick to 9.0, not 9.1

So if I understand that correct I dont’t even have the possibility to configure
an IP adress under ME and at least use features like power-on/shutdown/rest via
that browserbased interface?
If that isn’t possible, what is that 1.5 MB ME Firmware good for? nothing?

Is there kind of a changelog available for the ME firmware versions?

@shroeder
I wanted a kind of professional board with ecc ram and the possibility of kvm.
so I thought that board was a good choice. I knew that kvm would not work,
since it requires intel as primary graphics which it is not the case.
But at least I thought I’d get that webinterface to at least see some status infos
and power up the rig remote :confused:

What are you referring to that news link? I only see the main page…
Broadwell is Core iX-5xxx CPUs? Board seems not to support those (yet)…
Don’t know that is even compatible with chipset/socket?

@realmax

There seems to be some stange url rework here. Copy and paste the URL in a browser window.
Basically it says “5th Core CPUs are supported via BIOS update on all 9th Asus motherboard”. But not yours. That’s why I said you should ask Asus. Thus you will be able to have ME 9.1.
FIY, a comparable MB from ASRock (with a BMC) support them so it’s not a chipset or whatever issue (http://www.asrockrack.com/general/produc…#Specifications)

1.5MB MEs lack MEBx which enable AMT which is the key to remote operations. WOL excepted, of course.
KVM support requires Intel Integrated Graphics, you’re right, but to have remote capabilities, your LAN chip must be also vPro compatible, which means, on C226, I217-LM. Asus has chosen to use I210-AT (hence the “Gbe Version: Unknown”).
To sum it up, vPro requires : a compatible CPU, a compatible chipset, a BIOS including ME with AMT (5MB), VT-x enabled, VT-d enabled, a compatible LAN (LM suffix).
KVM : all these plus Integrated Graphics.

From an end-user perspective, 1.5MB ME mostly deals with DRMs. In the words of Intel, it :
.tune series Chipset Family clock silicon to the parameters of a specific board, configure clocks at run time, and power management clocks.
.have limited capabilities to perform targeted workarounds for silicon issues.

Some sort of changelog is available for 5MB ME but local fixes applies to 1.5 MB. For example, see https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/glrg17ww.txt

ME 1.5MB firmware is still responsible for many aspects of an Intel system like system clocks, overclocking, thermal control, fan control, silicon workaround (can fix some few silicon issues on the fly as it initiates before the main cpu), IPT, Rapid Start Technology, Smart Response Technology, Wireless Display etc. ME 5MB firmware adds OOB management with technologies such as AMT, KVM, SBA etc. But no, you won’t get these with 1.5MB SKUs.

ME9.1 firmware is the continuation of 9.0 which can also be seen by it’s security numbers to prevent/allow flashing etc. CodeRush has said in the past that it’s something like 2-3 BIOS modules that need to be changed for the new firmware to work (hopefully I remember properly, not quoting him or anything, don’t take my word for it). Still, if the OEM hasn’t done this you won’t be able to get a working 9.1 firmware flashed. Even though 9.1 firmware should not be flashed on non-9.1-ready systems, the flasher does allow you to do it. So that’s why I have the warning in place. You should ask ASUS to update your BIOS with 9.1 firmware but once more, that won’t result in 5MB-capabilities. There is no official/public changelog from Intel, gather what you can from OEMs such as Lenovo & HP but even those are mostly geared towards 5MB firmware and only list what they care for.

Your board is a Workstation one (long & stable operation) as the name implies (WS) and not server. If you wanted a v-Pro enabled motherboard then a Q87, B85 or similar “corpotate” SKU would be needed like Asus CS-B. Actual Server motherboards have SPS firmware (variation of ME) and as shroeder said use other technologies to support AMT-like capabilities.

@shroeder
Ok, got the right page now. Thanks.
No word of the workstation board “P9D WS”. Great Asus!
Somehow I think they’re not much caring about user between
consumer and server

So basically 1.5 ME Firmware is kind of “useless” in perspective of doing
anything management-wise with it…
So I even can’t configure anything in “MEx” with that “Ctrl.+P” after Post, right?

Ok, so changelog or ME Firmwareupdate for 1.5MB doesn’t make so much sense
since you can really do much with it, for 5MB it should be advisable.

I will give it a shot and ask them, but I am pretty sure there won’t be coming sth. for that board…

Thanks for the proposal with the AsRock Board…
Definitely sth. I would consider when replacing my home-server.
But currently no need since that supermicro X9SCV-Q board in it has QM67 Chipset
and full working vpro and kvm!

Is it possible for example to use that ASRock Mainboard, stick a discrete graphics card in it
build a computer/workstation with it and then a user runs his monitors and stuff on the discrete
graphics card and then you can login to bmc and do addionally kvm? So see what he sees on the monitors?
Or how does that bmc work? Where are the limitations? Do I only see 1 of for ex. 3 displays?

I’m asking because I thought that would be a real cool solution to give “power users” remote support on
“hardware layer”. With vPro you can do that too on the Q Chipsets but then you are bound to the iGPU
which 3D graphics capabilities aren’t sufficient for those users or gamers.

@realmax

It’s a pity that all Asus P9 support an additionnal ASMB7-iKVM, except the P9D WS. You could have tested BMC/IPMI/iKVM for a modest price.

Concerning the Asrock MB, it was more to show that a MB with the same chipset has support for 5th Gen Core CPUs (so has an ME 9.1).
BMC/IPMI was first designed for headless systems, just so you know.
What you can do with it is summed up in the manual, http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/Manual/IPMI/E3C226D2I.pdf or in this video https://youtu.be/S1Q1-X4pSOg
As to whether it will fit the bill in case of iKVM with multi monitor support, I don’t know.
Even in case of single monitor, it will be not this simple, see http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/61605…mi-problem.html

I can’t flash the new firmware v11.0.0.1191 on my ASUS MAXIMUS Hero VIII:

I’ve the v11.0.0.1180 firmware.

Intel ME 9.1 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.1.37.1002

Capture.PNG

@ Tomy:

You need to use the “workaround” image for FWUpdate, HERE.

Done, thanks a lot!!!.

PD: @plutomaniac why “workaround” image?

I have a gigabyte h81m-s2ph. It has 9.0.30.1482H. Do I need to be updated and how to do it . There is a detailed manual ? I have nothing. FWUpdate writes me error 8716 : invalid usage.

^
Look for 9.0.31.1487 Firmware…1.5MB

Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-H Firmware v11.0.0.1194

Capture.PNG

For FWUpdate you need to download THIS file!

@ Tomy

FWUpdate is buggy, a special FWUpdate image is needed for now to prevent Unknown Error 1 or similar.

@Lapa_Lapulya

You can update to the latest 1.5MB 9.0.31.1487 firmware which can be found at the first post.

Thanks! It works.

My laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad E540
Old ME Firmware is 9.0
I test to update it to "Intel ME 9.1 Corporate 5MB Firmware v9.1.32.1002"

SUCCESS!
There is not any porblem with the new Firmware
I think Lenovo’s new BIOS has suppot the 9.1 Firmware

BIOS is 2.22

How to upload a screenshot?
I am sorry for my poor English … from China . I wish you can understand what I said…

@lly007

Yes, some OEMs do have updated BIOS versions that support ME9.1 firmware, just that they haven’t actually bothered to update it from the initial 9.0. But it’a hit & miss and unless the flash descriptor is unlocked, going back from 9.1 to 9.0 firmware is not possible by conventional means.

Can you do me a small favor? I am looking for people with 5MB systems to provide me “update” images. It’s very easy to get one, run FWUpdate tool (let’s say Windows64 version) from the latest ME9.1 System Tools with the command FWUpdLcl64 -save ME.bin and attach me the resulting ME.bin file here.

D:\FWUpdate\Local-Win64>FWUpdLcl64 -save ME.bin

Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility Version: 9.1.2.1000
Copyright (C) 2007 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error 8193: Intel (R) ME Interface : Cannot locate ME device driver

D:\FWUpdate\Local-Win64>

why!!!

1. Did you restart the system after flashing like FWUpdate told you?
    2) Do you have MEI drivers installed? (version 11.0.0.1172 is the latest).
    3) Do you run FWUpdate as administrator? (Open cmd as admin first).

1 rebooted
2 I trying to reinstall the driver
3 yes … admin.