Intel (CS) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools for (CS)ME 16+

I am after a tool that would allow me to flash 16.1.30 ME firmware. I already have the bin so don’t need to build it or anything like that but need either the Linux or EFI version of FWUpdLcl.

I’ve been through this entire thread carefully (I think?) and there is a Linux version that works with the previous gen (16.0.something) and MFIT for 16.5 (MFIT can’t flash though it seems only modify).

Does anyone have the above or at least know a good way to go about finding it? The original vendor is MSI who afaik are very “we dont support Linux go away”.

Also I know I could use Windows PE but last time I tried to boot up Windows PE it just froze and screwed up some EFI vars. I’d also like to keep the tool handy for future updates.

Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (16+) - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

2 Likes

Thank you, unfortunately unless im missing something (which I probably am!) that only has Windows versions of FWUpdate. It does have “fpt.efi” but that appears to be more for system BIOS

Modular Flash Image Tool (WIN32): 16.1.25.2091
Modular Flash Image Tool (LINUX64): 16.1.25.2053
Flash Programming Tool (EFI64): 16.1.25.2049
Flash Programming Tool (WIN64): 16.1.25.2049

What seems to be the trouble here… bad English or blurry display…
And where did you got the ideia of and EFI driver being a system bios file???
By the content of your words… you have no knowledge of this tools and so on… we do not encourage inexperienced users to mess with this and get a bricked system.
Anyway, its a user choice, thats it, good luck.

EDIT: Oh…no offense taken at all… welcome to my fan list of “Straight words hatters”, cheers!

1 Like

yes mate my screens broken and I can’t speak English (or any language for that matter). Clearly asked for LINUX or EFI versions of FWUpdLcl (FWUpdate) or advice on how to seek.

I am so sorry that I offended you so deeply by not instantly knowing what FPT.EFI does (which I now do and will try as a last resort).

Thanks for your “help”, thanks even more for your crappy attitude

edit: looked more into fpt.efi, says that region (ME) is locked and the guides for unlocking it feel a bit heavier than what I want to get into at the moment - I don’t want to brick this system. Thanks again for the link though!

Since you didn’t specified motherboard/model… look for any ME_jumper on the board, usually found on “branded” systems, not on laptops or retail motherboards.

Just to mention: The images used by FWUpdLcl and FPT are different!

FWUpdLcl uses an update image (configuration irrelevant since just the code gets updated, FPT would flash either a complete firmware image (which should contain your specific ME configuration and the board specific data in bios region) or just an ME region (which should have correct and specific configuration and size!

1 Like

FWUpdate_16.1_Linux64.zip (144.1 KB)

1 Like

Just to mention: The images used by FWUpdLcl and FPT are different!

Thank you for pointing this out. Fortunately, I was trying to just flash what I had just dumped out of the current firmware to check the method.

FWUpdate_16.1_Linux64.zip (144.1 KB)

Thank you so much!!! Works perfectly!

16.1.30.2330 Corp H might be new?

From: LVFS: OptiPlex Tower 7020, OptiPlex Micro 7020, OptiPlex SFF 7020

16.1.30.2264 Corp LP might be new, too?

From: LVFS: ZBook Power 15.6 inch G10 Mobile Workstation PC V97

16.1.30.2342 Cons LP

CSME 16.10.5.1625 unknown H
From LVFS: Precision 5860 Tower

16.1.30.2264 Corp H
From LVFS: ZBook Fury G10 Mobile Workstation PC V96

CSE ME 16.10.5.1625

16.1.27.2176 Corporate LP ADP-LP A

16.1.30.2264 Consumer H

3 Likes

Intel Management Engine Corporate Firmware Update v18.0.5.2077.bin.zip (7.1 MB)

Whatever this is, it’s no longer recognized as ME by MEA

Yeah, it is the new (unsupported) CSME 18 for Meteor Lake platform. Based on that result, Intel made some significant change, I assume, at least on what constitutes as the default partition/pattern to look for and start further processing. :person_shrugging:

CSE ME 16.1.30.2330 Prod CorpLP ADP-LP A.bin.zip (5.6 MB)

1 Like

also there is no leak of fit18

Can I use:
Flash Programming Tool (WIN64): 16.1.25.2049
on
My me version :16.1.27.2176

Edit: I “guess” I gotta downgrade with FWUpdate tool

My ME version is 16.1.27.2176

FPT I downloaded says 16.1.25.2049
Can I just use it?

Or do I have to downgrade ME version with FWUpdate tool

With these kind of questions… its obvious that you have no experience on this and no reading was taken from our Intel ME section, i recommend to stay put and have the system still alive, we don’t like to see users with death motherboards.
Anyway its a user decision, the FPT tool 16.1 usually works for all the FWs 16.1 sku’s.

Actually I read a lot and multiple times but guess I have to sleep over it and read again couple times , not easy when english is not your main language

Appreciated the answer

CSE ME 16.1.30.2330 Prod ConsLP ADP-LP A.bin.zip (1.8 MB)

CSE ME 16.10.5.1625 Prod Unknown H Unknown
https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.hp.workstation.system.U61.firmware

hi bro can you share again plz

CSE ME 16.1.30.2330 Prod ConsH Unknown.bin.zip (1.7 MB)

Intel Management Engine Corporate Firmware Update v18.0.5.2066.bin.zip (7.0 MB)

1 Like