Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.0.0.1038/ v8.5.0.1592)

actually use ms standard ahic/ata
but slower disk speed

Intel Rapid Storage Technology 19.2.0.1003.2

19.2.0.1003 iaStorHsa_Ext / iaStorHsaComponent / iaStorVD drivers only.

19.2.0.1003_inf.rar (1.28 MB)

@westlake
Thanks for the link, which is very useful for Forum members and visitors, who are searching for the latest pure Intel RST HSA drivers.
Since the pure Intel RST VMD driver v19.2.0.1003 was already added by me to the start post on 01/24 and the Intel RST HSA drivers do not belong to the topic “Intel’s RST/RSTe AHCI/RAID/VMD Drivers”, I am not going to update the start post.
This may be done by my successor or by someone, who is willing to start a completely new thread about the Intel RST/RSTe drivers.

I just had to manually recover from installing Intel’s v17 RST driver… what an absolute nightmare that was trying to undo (without reformatting).

The audacity of Intel to just willy-nilly stick their fingers into boot records unannounced, tampering with them, taking control over everything, NVMe/PCIe included, without any proper warning or heads-up to the user, and most maddening of all, to quietly make the driver update a permanent “one-way street”, irreversible …just wow.

If anyone needs help reversing this without having to reinstall, let me know and I’ll walk you through it.

That aside, I currently have a primary WD SN750 NVMe 1TB on a Z390. I’m back to using the modified Samsung NVMe driver again. However, my 3x WD Red 8GB drives are connected via SATA to my Intel controller. Should I use an Intel RST driver for these or the default Microsoft AHCI driver?

Obviously I wouldn’t use any newer Intel driver that greedily takes over total control over everything.

@Coldblackice
My advice for your specific system: Focus your activities on the performance and stability of your system drive, which is an NVMe SSD.
To avoid any interference by the on-board Intel SATA Controller, I recommend to let it be managed by the default Win10 in-box MS AHCI driver.

1 Like

@Fernando
If I could please lean on your experience (or anyone else who can answer).
I’ve got an evga z490 motherboard paired up with a XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro NVMe (M.2) ssd. Is it a good idea to go ahead and install these drivers?
And if I do, do I just run the inf files? Both the iaAHCIC inf and the iaStorAC inf? Not familiar with what the later does.

Edit by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space within this voluminous thread)

@please55
Since I don’t have a system with an Intel Z490 chipset, I cannot answer your question. You should test it yourself.

No, the choice depends on the IDE mode (AHCI or RAID) of your on-board Intel SATA Controller. The iaAHCIC.inf file supports only the AHCI mode, whereas the iaStorAC.inf supports only the RAID mode (besides NVMe for some systems).

Hello guys!
Please tell me, I’m confused.
Do I need an RST/RSTe driver if I don’t have SATA drives in my system?
Only NVMe drives are installed.
And for NVMe drives, you need the Intel NVMe Driver v5.3.0.1005 WHQL driver. Is everything correct?

@Dagal

No, unless you want to use an Intel RST NVMe driver (for the NVMe Controller of an Intel SSD).

And for NVMe drives, you need the Intel NVMe Driver v5.3.0.1005 WHQL driver. Is everything correct?[/quote]It depends on the OS you are running and on the NVMe SSD model you are using.

@Fernando
On a Windows 10 system with Samsung 980 Pro drives, the Intel RST/RSTe drivers are not needed.
And you need to install the Intel NVMe Driver v5.3.0.1005 WHQL drivers.
Sorry for asking again, translation difficulties. Is everything correct?

@Dagal

No. There is no need to install an Intel NVMe driver.
The NVMe Controller of the Samsung SSD is fully supported by the generic Win10 in-box MS NVMe driver. If the user should want a better performance, he/she can replace the MS NVMe driver by a Samsung, Intel or Phison one (look >here<).

I would like to clarify that for Intel RST(e) v13 the latest driver is Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 13.6.3.1001 WHQL

@Dagal
The Intel RST(e) drivers v13.6.3.1001 dated 02/25/2015 are the ones with the highest version number among the v13 platform (besides the formerly MS OS in-box Intel RST RAID driver v13.44.0.1026 dated 02/22/2015), but not the latest ones.
Please look at the dates. The latest v13 platform Intel RST(e) drivers are still the v13.2.8.1002 ones dated 07/09/2015. So there is nothing to be corrected within the start post.

Got it. Thanks.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise & VROC Drivers Version 8.0.0.2752 WHQL

First, thanks to Fernando for helping recover my account.

Quick question … on my Z170 system, I used the RSTe line of drivers (6.3) and previously the 4 series on my board in AHCI mode. I used these because with the normal RST drivers I would have excessive load/unload cycles/chirping on my HDD’s. I take it because they are enterprise drivers the power profiles were different.

I recently built a new B660 board that comes with the 19 series RST drivers. In AHCI mode, there is no driver available from Intel, only the in-box Windows 11 driver. This in box driver causes the excessive load/unload cycles/chirping. Switching to VMD and using the RST 19 driver, the issue persist. I also disabled LPM in the Intel CP and still have the issue on 1 of my drives.

I’ve checked out the latest VROC drivers and they currently do not support either device (AHCI or VMD) for my system.

Is there any hope that they will eventually add support?

And before anyone ask, excessive hard parking is dozens of head parking events per hour. I’ve had these drives for 5 years and only around 3,500 head parks due to using the good RSTe drivers the past 5 years. Also, yes, I set the HDD to power off never in Advanced Power Profiles.

Thanks!

Is there a performance benefit in intel rst rather than achi?

@Kr13 Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
It is not easy to understand your question.
RST and AHCI are completely different things and cannot be compared. The Rapid Storage Technology (RST) is an Intel specific storage management technology, whereas the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a common SATA Controller data transfer protocol.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@WRBDC

You are welcome. By the way - I saw your post just by chance. Advice: If you want to address a post to a specific person, you should better use the @<nickname> Forum option.

Only Intel can give you an answer.
If you want help within this Forum, you should post the HardwareIDs of the related IDE ATA/ATAPI or Storage Controller.