Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.0.0.1038/ v8.5.0.1592)

Yes! I am having Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 and for about 10 days already it’s been driving me crazy. Every once in a while (maybe every 1-2 days) my computer progressively becomes unresponsive and this is always related to a 100% utilization of my RAID 1 volume which triggers "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." in the Event Viewer. I can’t reboot my PC normally when this starts happening and after that I always have file system errors. It’s absolutely maddening because I don’t know what the reason is. I installed older drivers but it’s still the same. I am now with 15.7.1.1015 and the problem still occurs. I’m gonna throw the PC out of the window.

@ bobypf

15.7.1.1015 almost works for me, the computer can randomly get a little bit unresponsive, i can see in the taskmanager that the disk usage goes up really quick and then down again when it happens.
But 15.5.2.1054 works without lockups have you tested that specific version, and are you using the latest 2.20 BIOS?

Hey man. Yes, I tried with 15.5.2.1054 and it was the same, no difference. The funny thing is that all these problems started after I updated my motherboard with BIOS 2.20. Before that with 2.00 everything was great. That’s why at the end I decided to go back to BIOS 2.00, but I got the errors again few hours ago!!! I couldn’t believe it! Anyway, I know that the RAID ROM in BIOSes 2.00 and 2.20 is the same version so it doesn’t make sense to experience the problem with only one of these. I really don’t understand what’s going on and what triggered this errors. Apparently it’s not because of the BIOS, but because of driver or because of some Windows 10 update which got installed in the meantime.

Anyway, which version of RAID ROM are you using in yours? Also, are you also having RAID 1 array?

Yes, that is odd, it does seem more like it would be an update for Windows or other driver that might be causing it like you say.
I guess you could do a clean install of Windows again, and don’t install any updates, and use drivers you feel worked before.
I am right now testing the 15.7.1.1015 drivers with the 15.7.0.3054 EFI RaidDriver, in RAID 0, but still not perfect, i think i will go back to the 15.5 Driver & EFI RaidDriver combo.

Unfortunately I really can’t reinstall the whole OS at the moment because it’s too much of a hassle. I’d rather wait for a more elegant solution. I wish I could put 15.7.0.3054 EFI RaidDriver for test and see whether it will stabilize the system, but because of some reason I can’t. After I put it in the BIOS with the UBU Tool and flash it, I don’t see the Rapid Storage Technology menu in the UEFI and then in Windows the utility says that my RAID 1 array is incompatible.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 15.5.4.1056 WHQL

Includes Release Notes

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v15.5.4.1056 WHQL for Win7-10 dated 05/12/2017
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v15.5.4.1056 WHQL dated 05/20/2017

Notes:
  1. The above mentioned drivers are WHQL certified and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up. Only Intel 100-Series/C230 Chipsets, 200-Series Chipsets, X299 Chipsets and other Systems with an Intel Skylake or KabyLake CPU are natively supported by these drivers.
  2. Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these new drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

My 2 cents: The 15.7 drivers give me a store exception BSOD after several hours of archiving from one HDD to another (main system is on SSD; H110 platform). Installed the 15.5 drivers and everything’s fine.

Yes, i think Intel screwed something up with the 15.7 drivers, i was testing the 15.7.1.1015 WHQL drivers, they seemed Ok, but this morning i got a lockup again during high disk usage.
Now i am back to 15.5, both Driver & EFI RaidDriver, no lockups no matter how hard i stress the disks.

Exactly the same happened to me again!
During my Vuze’s automatic backup, it triggered the same dreaded error “reset to device, \device\raidport0, was issued.” and then my PC gradually became unresponsive which lead to the only solution - hard reset. This is awful. I switched to 15.5 and let’s see.

But your RAID is 0, not 1 like mine, isn’t it?

Yes
This time modded BIOS with RaidDriver 15.5.1.3017, before i used the stock 15.5.0.2875, so far perfect.

I did the same. Let’s see. But for me I know that I have to wait at least 2 days before concluding that it works.

By the way, can you, please, check in your Event Viewer - System whether you get the same error as me when the problems happens?

@ bobypf

I checked but what i have is loads of errors like this: "The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_"
just before lockup, this error seems to be safe removal of USB devices, but it seems it is trying to safely remove my RAID array, not sure, but that’s the only error.
Then after of course i get: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.”

this is a completely different error. Ok, I know this may sound strange, but do you use Skype by any chance? The normal Skype for desktop I mean. After I changed the drivers, so far I haven’t experienced the dreaded error but I am starting to suspect that Skype could be the culprit. Just a suspicion for now. Will report tomorrow again.

EDIT by Fernando: F… word removed. We don’t want such words here.

I just woke up and the error is here again! It’s been going all night. This is driving me crazy because it seems that it doesn’t matter which driver or EFI RAID I am using. I am continuing to investigate. If anyone has any remote idea what could case this atrocity, please, let me know.

Again, the iaStorA triggers error Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

After that the utilization of my RAID 1 array always stays at 100% and gradually the computer becomes unresponsive.

For everyone’s info, all my problems turned out to be because of a bad SATA cable. After I changed both SATA cables of my RAID 1 members, I don’t have any more erros and the system is running fine. Initially I was misled and blamed the Intel drivers but it’s not their fault.

I have an H77 chipset and am running RST 14.8.16.1063 on Windows Server 2012 R2. I have an SSD as my C Drive and 4x 4 TB HDDs in RAID 5 as my D Drive. I have an identical SSD for the C Drive. I’d like to run RAID1 but the lack of TRIM support historically has made this a non-starter.

I read the RSTe drivers and software now support R1 TRIM. I’m struggling to find which RSTe version I should download for H77 and Server 2012 R2. Intel’s site for RSTe seems to point to Xeon based chipsets.

Any help would be appreciated!

Correction. Apparently it’s NOT because of a SATA cable because after 3 days of problems-free use, last night it happened again! What I noticed that it almost always happens when my Vuze starts creating its daily backup. I am continuing to investigate.

Acccording to my knowledge it is not a good idea to install any Intel RST driver of the v14 or v15 platform onto on Intel 7-Series chipset system.

Only the RST “Enterprise Edition” (RSTe) drivers from the v4 and v5 platform do support TRIM in RAID1. These drivers natively support nothing else than C600 and C600+ Series Intel Chipsets like X79 and X99, whose Intel SATA RAID Controller has the DeviceID DEV_2826]. So the Intel SATA RAID Controller of your system will not be supported.

Thanks, that supports my unfortunate research on RAID1.
For 7-series, it seems Intel’s latest version <14 is 13.6.0.1002, do you recommend one other than that for 7-series? What are the issues with v14 and v15 drivers and RST?

Thanks so much Fernando!