Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

The Samsung 960 PRO SSD is a "Disk drive" and not a "Storage Controller".

AFAIK only the v17.9 branch Intel RST drivers do overtake automaticly the control of the Samsung NVMe SSDs (depending on the BIOS settings).

Since each system is different, you should find it out yourself. I guess, that the mod+signed generic Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 will give you the best scores.

@Fernando :
I stand corrected Fernando, Thank you .
Can you please clarify which BIOS settings are you referring to?

the mod+signed generic Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 will give you the best scores,
Looks interesting however as I mentioned before I was thinking of doing a RAID 0 with 2 of these Samsung SSD’s and I am not sure if the v17.8 or lower branch Intel RST is the correct one to use.

Many thanks.

@Fernando ,
I am trying to learn how to install your mod+signed+generic Samsung driver.
Where can I find this?

Many thanks.

Each mainboard manufacturer and model has its specific BIOS setting options. Please read >this< post.

>Here<.

@Fernando :
I use an Asus Rampage VI and there is no such thing as to "change the option labeled "PCIe Storage Dev on Port X" (Mine is Port 9) from "RST Controlled" to "Not RST Controlled":
Also, where can I find how to install your mod+signed+generic Samsung drivers?

Thanks

The link is within my last post.

If anyone has got an Asus Rampage VI please let me know how to this: Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v17.8.11.1080 WHQL/v6.2.2.1006 WHQL) (148)

I do not see any option to make the PCIe Storage Dev on Port X.

Cheers.

May want to ask in the Asus ROG Discussion Forums. There might also be an option in the BIOS under each drive to configure it as RST or non-RST. Unfortunately, there isn’t consistency across manufacturers.

@Fernando
I tested Intel/RSTe Driver v6.3.0.1022 on Sabertooth X99 and worked fine to handle some SSDs SATA non RAID.
I have no VROC configuration to test more.
You can update the Title with v6.3.0.1022. Thanks

@100PIER :
Thanks for having tested the Intel RSTe driver v6.3.0.1022. It is fine, that it works properly with your X99 chipset system.

Done!

@Fernando , @Frames
In reply to #2210 item I do the test and I do confirm your suggestion to try to get back to a situation where a RST and NVMe Samsung driver do coexist does not work.
I have tried multiple times and always got a ’ inaccessible boot device’ error blue screen.
Even permutting System SSD 970 PRO from M.2_2 to M.2_1 emplacement does not change: BIOS does report it is not a OS SSD.
Definitively the contents of Boot sector has been modified when v17.9.xx branch has been used once time, after that the ONLY return back booting situation is to fully restore the SSD system media with a non v17.9.xx branch !
A test with the ‘non RST’ option into BIOS settings does not work on my Z390 machine. (no boot, no error, endless black rolling row circle logo).
Sorry but I don’t recommend the v17.9.xx branch be installed, it is a source of problems and lost of time even for experimented user.

@100PIER :
Thanks for your additional report.
Usually it may be a good idea to have 1 single driver (here: Intel RST v17.9.1.1009) managing all HDDs/SSDs, which are connected to any Intel SATA port and PCIe port, but the missing option to return back to the previously used storage drivers is really bad.
This forces me to repeat a very often written advice: Before the user is going to change the in-use storage driver of the system drive he/she should set a “Restore Point”.

@100PIER

Did you let it reboot into safe mode? It should automatically go into recovery after a couple failed BSOD restarts. But once in safe mode, the legacy NVMe storage controller should reload itself. Or better yet, before uninstalling the v17.9.xx driver and changing your bios settings, configure Windows to reboot in safe mode through "System Configuration".

@Fernando ,
Oh YES, YES, for sure doing a RESTORE System before such storage driver update manipulation is VITAL.
@Frames ,
I don’t think have rebooted in safe mode because I didn’t observe an automatic recovery after multiple failed BSOD restart.
The system even after 10mn never booted in safe mode, i got a endless turning circle logo but nothing happen, this why I stopped this bad situation and turned off the PB and then decided to restore via a WinPE boot media (USB key) AOMEI Backupper v5.8 application my full system from a valid backup image and all was OK after that.

@100PIER :

Hi there,
You’ve mentioned this: "permutting System SSD 970 PRO from M.2_2 to M.2_1"
I just want to confirm you are referring to M.2_2 (DIMM.2) and M.2_1 for the M.2 that is NOT the DIMM.2 riser card?
AFAIK the DIMM.2_2 (riser card ) does not accept PCie nvme drives but only SATA, The DIMM.2_1 (Riser card again) does.
On my Rampage VI there is a M.2_1 that is tucked underneath a heatsink.

Ta

@Safado2 ,
On ASUS PRIME Z390M+ motherboard there are 2 native M.2 Socket 3 with M Key:
M.2_1 does support PCIE x4 mode only for type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices.
M.2_2 does support both SATA and PCIE x4 mode for type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices.
There is no concept of Riser card on this Mini ATX format motherboard.

@100PIER

The issue you mentioned with RST 17.9 happened with a driver only install or with the full package install?

Starting with RST 17.9, drivers call the following functions:
- ExGetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable
- ExSetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable

Basically the driver can read and configure UEFI/BIOS settings.

@daniel_k
The issue with RST 17.9 happened with driver only as well with the full package. I have tested and be disapointed with both.
So, to come back to a very clean situation I have had to full erase the system SSD and then do a fresh W10 (2004 version) install and done performance tests with the proposed native drivers.
Then I replaced them with my favorites NVMe drivers (Intel SSD, Samsung SSD, etc). They are more performant than natives drivers.

@100PIER :
Which are your favorite NVMe drivers, when you use an Intel or Samsung NVMe SSD?

@daniel_k , @Fernando
The issue with RST 17.9 happened with driver only as well with the full package. I have tested and be disapointed with both.
So, to come back to a very clean situation I have had to full erase the system SSD and then do a fresh W10 (2004 version) install and done performance tests with the proposed native drivers.
Then I replaced them with my favorites NVMe drivers (Intel SSD, Samsung SSD, etc). They are more performant than natives drivers.
Currently my favorite NVMe drivers are for Intel v6.3.0.1022 and for Samsung v3.3.0.2003:
For Z390 machines:

DRIVE_Ctrl_Infos_Z390_18juillet20.PNG

ANVIL_970PRO_512GB_Z390_12juillet20.PNG

For X99 Sabertooth:

ANVIL_SECNVME_17juillet20.PNG.jpg

ANVIL_STORNVME_17juillet20.PNG.jpg